It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana College Bans "Too Violent" National Anthem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Indiana College Bans "Too Violent" National Anthem

www.nbcwashington.com

Tiny Goshen College in Indiana has banned the "The Star Spangled Banner: at all sporting events because the Mennonite school's president considers the National Anthem's words to be too violent.

The 1,000-student school had already banned the words last year, but the band could still play the music for patriots in attendance. Now, the school has banned the song entirely, according to NBC Sports.

“find an alternative to playing the National Anthem that fits with sports tradition
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If this school receives a dime from either the state or federal government it should be withdrawn and that includes government backed student loans.

This fact that this school exists and is able to practice free speach is due to the efforts of this country and the sacrifices made to perserve those freedoms.

It is an absolute disgrace and were my kids to attend, they would be pulled out and I would sue for tuition reimbursement. I'd lose, but would sue anyway.

I hope that folks show up at sporting events with brass bands and blast out the anthem at every chance possible.

This is the kind of milk toast, pacifist, politically correct nonsense that is destroying this country.

As far as the Mennonite beliefs, they are fantastic. The entire world would have been over run by ruthless dictators were the majority of people to practice their beliefs. It is only through others fighting and defending their lands providing safe havens for them that they even exist today.

www.nbcwashington.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-8-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
With a position like that I'm surprised they just didnt ban sports outright. Surely a competitive hands-on struggle for a ball is more violent than a song about a flag.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Stupidity can't be stopped at times, but the people that support their athletic programs should stop showing up at game and stop donating, if they do. The best way to show disapproval of moronic moves like this is to let the wallet snap shut on their little fingers.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Just a ploy to get some press for a small, inconsequential school. I recommend flag football with a lot of lord praising and cheek turning.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The games themselves are probably about a million times more violent than the song. Somebody's trying to be a media troll and get his school recognition lol

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What's next?
Getting rid of the "red" colour in the flag?

Sissies.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

so it's a disgrace because someone's opinion is opposite to yours? you made the point yourself: they are free to do this. so be it. it is a violent song, we are a violent country. if you could separate yourself from a patriotic mindset and look at the topic without bias you could see someone else's opinion.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I doubt that is the kind of recognition they really need.

No.

I really believe that this guy really believes what he says.

This is why college is a waste of time. People are getting taught by morons, yet, they end up getting the high positions. Now you know why the world is screwed. =)

Bunch of pansies.

I hope whoever the football team plays next, that they beat the ever living crap out of them. THEN, upon winning, and before the game as well, they BLAST the star spangled banner.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Does anyone wanna make a bet that it's not ran by conservatives?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The ideal of our country is respecting all beliefs a true patriot welcomes dissent as an expression of that ideal.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
If this school receives a dime from either the state or federal government it should be withdrawn and that includes government backed student loans.

...goshen is a private christian college... if you dont like their crap, dont go there...

This fact that this school exists and is able to practice free speach is due to the efforts of this country and the sacrifices made to perserve those freedoms.

...thats not a fact... thats just your very biased opinion...

This is the kind of milk toast, pacifist, politically correct nonsense that is destroying this country.

...sure, it couldnt possibly be the pro-war mentality that gets all nazi-fied if someone doesnt want to be a good little robot and regurgitate the pledge or sing the national anthem...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

This is awesome news. Americans waking up to their power monger, world policing, anti freedom, hate spewing country.

I always wondered why national anthems were played at any sporting event below the national level. While I can fully understand and even enjoy the idea of a teams national anthem when playing at such a level I simply don't see the need for it at minor league events.

After all its not a song that makes a country great, its the people that make up the country that make it great.

In the end thought its ironic poetic justice that a song about a war is the theme song for a country that only remains in a powerful position because they are constantly at war, or threatening it.

-Lightrule

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I wish I could star that over and over again. I live in an area where there are many of the Mennonite persuasion. I respect their neutrality.

Quite a few that I work with are decent people.

I love this country, but I believe patriotism in its current form is a trap. It is a false patriotism that praises bygone times. What we were as a nation when these things were written is a far cry from what we are now.

I'm not saying that the Anthem or even the Pledge should be discounted entirely, but just that you should really examine the context. I would Pledge myself to the United States of old, but I make no pledge now.

The Anthem to me just seems an empty formality and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I don't see any problem with it whatsoever?

They have the right to play or not play whatever they want, and that is exactly the type of right we are constantly fighting to ensure!

Now, I wouldn't personally attend any of their sporting events, and if I were a rival school I would boycott them, and eventually the economic impact will force them to either cancel sports altogether, or realize that patriotism is a part of the sporting realm. Either way is fine with me, but I sure as hell am not going to force them to play the anthem on my behalf; I'll just go to a different game.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

While I agree this is a silly move, as it's not really much of a violent song and is just recalling an event in history (and football and various other sports are somewhat violent themselves), being a mennonite school, I'd *doubt* that they receive federal funds in the first place (?)...but regardless, it is their choice, and in line the the tenents of their faith. I don't think a big ruckus should be made or it one way or the other, as this is pretty much the turning of the wheel that also tries to ban people in any partially government-funded building from having to hear someone say a prayer.

PS: "milquetoast", not milk toast.

Be well.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

so it's a disgrace because someone's opinion is opposite to yours? you made the point yourself: they are free to do this. so be it. it is a violent song, we are a violent country. if you could separate yourself from a patriotic mindset and look at the topic without bias you could see someone else's opinion.

Okay,
Let's ban a song, based on it's "Violent Content" because we need to have a less vilent song played before a sporting event?
So....is this event a Full Contact sport?
If so, this reeks of childish ignorance.
They are free to be ignorant, and people are free to decide whether they get to have their money. Tax dollars included.

I agree that this is no different than a child acting foolish to get attention.
Sometimes they get the wrong kind of attention.

IMHO, people this ignorant cannot properly educate my child nor manage my money properly.
Just my Opinion.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

My own opinion??? I am not American, so I didn't know your anthem. However I googled the lyrics, and all I can say, that as a pacifist, even if I was an American, I would have refused to sing it when I got old enough to understand what it is about. Americans life in a free country, and if a group or institution believes that the lyrics of the anthem is a symbol for something that they don't believe in, let them be.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Did the OP realize the irony of his post? pretty funny. It may be stupid and honestly im having a hard time getting my head around it.But honestly Big Deal. Its been the national anthem for what 80+ years now? i have relative older then that. This country is all about the freedom to do what ever stupid thing you want to do. And that means they can ban a song or that people can over react to said song being banned(pull your kids out of a college? You how much work and effort most students put in and the cost of college? /facepalm).

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
For those saying it isn't violent, they have probably only heard the first verse. The fact is, violence is a part of any life, whether it be war, or nature. We exist in an ecosystem where living things compete for resources. Maybe we compete with eath other, maybe we compete with other species, it doesn't matter, one must learn that violence is a part of life.

I still suppor their right to play or not play whatever they want, but I think it is a stupid decision.

Here are the lyrics:

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join