It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those in Irene's path that have never experienced this.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wasn't posted yet so here's the estimated hurricane path :

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

I live here in florida and have been in many storms.Hurricane andrew irene back in 1999 and lost my house when huricanes francis and jean hit.We didnt have power for 6 weeks after the two hurricanes hit in the same spot.Make sure you have all the stuff you would need if you were going camping stock up on plenty of food and water,and dont forget the beer in case the stores are closed down and they ban alcohol sales like they did here.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by RUDDD
Found this fantastic video taken by Mike Theiss during Charley (CAT5) he was chasing in FL. Now you know why only the pro's are left behind.

And he was sitting in his car during all that?
Thats not really very wise, is it?

He situated the car infront of a sturdier building outriding the highest of the gusts as they detoured around him. Pure luck and a bit of structural guesswork that the building he was sheltering behind itself didn't come down, but as you can see in the video even the car moved when that highest gust tried to pick it up within the eyewall. Now those are CAT5 gusts and NYC will obviously see nothing like those speeds, but its a good lesson in showing how all it takes is one wrong judgement call and its 'game over.'

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield

Originally posted by TriForce

Heres a buoy reading almost right under Irene. 30 foot swells. Thats gonna be one hell of a storm surge.

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
5-day plot - Wind Speed Wind Speed (WSPD): 40.8 kts
5-day plot - Wind Gust Wind Gust (GST): 52.4 kts
5-day plot - Wave Height Wave Height (WVHT): 29.2 ft
5-day plot - Dominant Wave Period Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 15 sec
5-day plot - Average Period Average Period (APD): 9.4 sec
5-day plot - Atmospheric Pressure Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.42 in
5-day plot - Pressure Tendency Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.10 in ( Falling Rapidly )
5-day plot - Air Temperature Air Temperature (ATMP): 80.4 °F
5-day plot - Water Temperature Water Temperature (WTMP): 84.6 °F

Link

Now that's interesting, considering you're not hearing about this on the MSM. NOW I'm worried.

So basically, she's gonna chew that warm water up...and gain speed? Keeping an eye on this storm....almost made me pee my pants...and i'm on the west coast...where it's BEAUTIFUL outside. I'm really concerned about my friends, back in Jersey....but i told them to leave...and come here, years ago. Hard-headed people, those Jersey folk.

And, for those of you that think this storm is like 'the others'...pfft. The wind field is 300 miles long.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Katrina Satellite Image

Irene Satellite Image

Talk about getting caught off guard??? I'm not 'fear mongering' but Irene looks scary. I just spoke to a friend who's in Tom's River, NJ and she's TOTALLY UNPREPARED for this and really scared. I told her to LEAVE and go to the Poconos...and she says, "i cant". Not cool. People should take their lives a little more serious. Don't you think???

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

As far as I can tell it is predicted to hit VA as a Cat. 2...even a Cat. 3 isn't but so bad. I honestly feel like there is way too much hype on this one due to the fumbling done last season...I have ridden out plenty of hurricanes in my life and I have learned just be prepared like you would for any other disaster and you'll be fine...doesn't hurt to have a few small boats at the house though
With all the hurricanes that have hit VA I have never seen this big of a deal made though...they sent something like 28 ships out to sea to dodge it which they never did before...even on Cat.3 hurricanes. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't leave or be prepared but it's just not that big a deal compared to Katrina!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

Ummm...it is like plenty of others and not even like the bigger ones to hit the area...although I will say those up north probably won't be very prepared they don't get many of them. It's also gonna pass through colder water coming north not warmer...that's why the say it will go from a Cat. 4 in the Bahamas to a Cat.2 by land fall in VA/NC

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

Not even good pics to compare one to the other...and even if they were Katrina is kinda way bigger and tighter...this Hurricane is not anywhere close. I can't say it won't do damage but unless you live right up on the coast it won't be a knock out...plus the area drains unlike New Orleans...it won't stay flooded for weeks and there is a huge amount of people that go out to fix damage from storms in the area. Not to price gouge either like bigger companies do but to undercut them and do jobs at a fair price!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Just as I suspected it weakened a bit. Hopefully before it gets near NY/NJ it will weaken. Thats who my posts is directed at I know folks around the Carolina's and Virginia have met up with them and know whats best for the most part.

If the path stays true ( which the paths in this day and age are pretty dead on) I will say the area will be hit by 60-90 mph winds that includes gusts. I see a sustained wind for this area to be around 50 mph with gusts to 70.

But I'm not a meteorologist just from experience. To me I still say if you have not dealt with hurricanes before and you are within 3 miles of the water, take you a trip upstate for the day.

Lets try to keep the fear down and the information up, this thread has been going good for those who have had questions!

edit on 26-8-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

As far as I can tell it is predicted to hit VA as a Cat. 2...even a Cat. 3 isn't but so bad. I honestly feel like there is way too much hype on this one due to the fumbling done last season...I have ridden out plenty of hurricanes in my life and I have learned just be prepared like you would for any other disaster and you'll be fine...doesn't hurt to have a few small boats at the house though
With all the hurricanes that have hit VA I have never seen this big of a deal made though...they sent something like 28 ships out to sea to dodge it which they never did before...even on Cat.3 hurricanes. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't leave or be prepared but it's just not that big a deal compared to Katrina!

I agree. I made this thread cause on my Facebook page I had alot of people from NY I am friends with that never dealt with this scared and asking questions, this is really for them. The weather channels can make storms sound worse than they are, but when it comes to surge I think they warn very good.

Like I said, lets all keep feeding positive informative info so those that are wondering can have some piece of mind. I personally see it weakening drastically before it gets to Jersey, but like we all know these things are tricky.

My advice is to just bunker down for a few hours.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Excellent tips, thank you!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I live on the water along the VA coast and I can tell you from experience that Hurricane Isabel was greatly underestimated and downplayed in this area before it actually hit too. Most people in my city stayed in their homes, even the low lying flood prone areas, because no one believed it would be "that bad". Well, it was the most devastating storm to hit this city in more than a 100 years. I stayed too and was fortunate to be one of the lucky ones.

The storm surge and tidal flooding levels caught everyone in this area off guard. People were without power for weeks and many even months. We were fortunate and only were without it for a week and we also have a generator but many were not as fortunate. A lot of people here were displaced from their homes and lost everything from the storm surge and tidal flooding. Wind was as secondary issue here but also did some damage. It didn't even make landfall here but well to our south in NC and a high cat. 1 or low cat 2 if I'm not mistaken. To take this storm lightly considering the storm surge and tidal flooding in the Chesapeake bay region is a mistake considering the size and power of this storm currently.

I'm just saying to anyone in the current pathway, don't under estimate the potential tidal flooding and storm surge than can come along with this storm. After seeing first hand the destruction of Isabel, I can tell you, Irene is a monster and I am concerned.

Isabel hit here and we gas couldn't be found anywhere around here for almost a week. All pumps sold out. Ice was hard to come by for the first 2 days following the storm.

Irene is huge in size and everyone along the NC/ VA coastline, Chesapeake bay region, and along the coastlines north should not shrug this off just because you have lived somewhere you're entire life and don't think it will be "that bad."

Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well just like I thought it will do what I thought it would. The left side will continue to fall apart, the weather channels will tell you it will still be a strong Hurricane still cause the pressure is low, it will not be, HOWEVER, please take it like is, if you have never seen one, I am speaking to the ones near water. Alot of energy is coming.

I knew it would weaken to 60-90 like stated before, I knew because I have watched hurricanes like a hawk learned all there is to know. The storm weakens very very quickly the slower the better once the eye hits land.

NY/NJ Expect to be hit with 50-70 mph winds with gusts to 80 at times in places nearest the core. Also as the storm breaks apart tornados will emerge, mostly water spouts. You dodged a bullet for the most part, take this as practice cause it is only a matter of time and you all see how screwed up the weather is now. F5's in Mississippi for the first time earlier, now Canes getting closer to NY, and a number of other things.

70 mph wind is still no joke when it is sustained, it will scare children more than the damage it will do, be patient now, it is falling apart. I hope I was of some assistance to some on here, that was my goal, if I just helped one person I will feel I did good.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join