It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those in Irene's path that have never experienced this.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Can you explain what a surge is for those that don't understand hurrcanes?

In Layman terms, it's like a tsunami if your close to it. The water is being pushed onto the land with tremendous force with it's wave heights. Depending on how close you are and sea level your at, will determine if you either get taken out or just battered.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Yeah my mom told me how during Camile, they threw a big party right on the sand in a stilted home and in the night the looked up and seen a huge wall of water took everyone out except 1 of them.

They never found them either.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by samzy
reply to post by JAGx1981

Can i just ask, for those of you with horses, other large animals, what do you do with them when a hurricane approaches? Ive seen roofs stripped off sheds and barns (on tv). I just wondered if you have a massive underground shelter for them or do you leave them to fend for themselves so to speak?

Well thankfully during Katrina the last bad one i've dealt with, I did not have those types of animals, I do now though 2 goats and ducks. But I have constructed a underground shelter since then.

My advice is call a Vet and ask for information. Some places will actually stable your animals for free in a dire situation I know they did here, from what I remember of the messages on my radio.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Yup, those that have the time and money, a inverter would make a good pack mate. If you can go get one if your in the path, you'll be good. Coffee and fans will be availiable then.

It may not be that bad these things are weird. It could get bad or weaken.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

No problem. My advice would be watch the storm close tonight, go from there, if your near the water watch with more seriousness. It's too hard to tell what it will do, it could weaken as the bands start hitting land mass more.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Here is a little story to get another idea of what the surge can do.

In Dania Fla., there is a old hotel that sits about a mile from the ocean. This hotel was the place back in the roaring 20's. The area that surrounded it was all tomato and rose farms at the time.I don't remember the exact facts of which hurricane it was, but I know it was in the late 20's or early 30's, that one hit south Fla.

Now keep in mind. this hotel is two stories and has 15 foot ceilings. Up until 10 years or so ago, you could go to that hotel and still see the water line from the hurricane which was a little less then a foot from the ceiling. They never painted it so that people would remember what happened and how dangerous it was. This was a mile inland.

As far as the tomato and rose farms went, Dania was the capital of tomatoes farms at the time, they could never grow them again in that area because the salt water ruined the soil.

So thats my little true story to give you a better idea about the Surge! and here I sit in Rhode Island now mumbling... at least I know what to do! Be safe folks

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
How far away do you have to be from water?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 200457

Depends on your sea level, I would say if indeed NJ-NY gets a Cat 3 hurricane eyewall, get at least 3-5 miles back, I don't know how the area is set up.

I don't know how structurely sound the whole NY / NJ areas are to face this. I don't know the area at all.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Some of this was taken just some 5 miles from where I was during the storm.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hi people,
I am posting this with wishes in my heart that this blows itself out before it hits land. But from what you are all reporting, this does not sound good at all. Who am I to tell you not to mess with mother nature huh? Just prepare for the worst and anything less will be a blessing.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm on the east coast of Long Island. I'm really scared!
Besides stocking up on supplies i dont know what more to do i guess just wait and hope for the best !

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Best advice I can say is get at least 25 feet above the ground in a solid structure, stock up on supplies and stay away from windows even if boarded up. I definitely wouldn't go outside as there is going to be glass from broken windows flying around everywhere.

Another thing about storm surge is that, if you get a 15 foot storm surge that becomes the base level of the ocean at that time. There could be 10-15 foot waves driven by the wind on top of that...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
...lived in bermuda when i was a kid (late 50s, early 60s) and went thru a couple humdingers but there was nowhere to run to, baby, nowhere to hide...

...mostly i've lived within 50-100 miles of the texas gulf coast and usually in a sturdy house far from bayous, creeks, rivers - so there was no need to run...

...one of the risks of running is running into tornados spawned by the hurricane...

...another big risk is auto accidents and being herded like cattle... during the rita evac (because it was handled so stupidly), dehydration and heat prostration / stroke was common because people were stuck in grid-locks...

...if you choose to evac, be smart and leave early...

...if you choose to weather the storm, be smart and stay sober...

...good luck to everyone...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The eye of Opal went right over my house. We'd never had a hurricane before, it sounded like a giant out there breaking stuff and throwing stuff around. Lots of loud cracks as the pines came down all around us. Then it got really quiet and still and it sounded like woaaaaaaaam woaaaaaaaam woaaaaaaaaaam and honestly my first thought was it sounded like a demon. I woke my husband up and he said it was 'just the turbanes on top of the house' I elbowed him really good b/c we don't have any turbines on top of the house. lol That man can sleep through ANYTHING. Aftter that it was even worse. We lost a tree that 8 more inches it would have hit the house and our bedroom.

Then it came an earthquake here and we were all asleep - never heard of an earthquake in GA before that one, but I felt it and was honestly in the doorframe while it was still going on. I hate to admit it, but I thought in my sleep that a demon was shaking the bed. I told my husband it was an earthquake to get up and he said "Are you crazy?" and slept right through that too.

Weird thing is, I don't even really believe in demons. ha!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by steph the conspirator
I'm on the east coast of Long Island. I'm really scared!
Besides stocking up on supplies i dont know what more to do i guess just wait and hope for the best !

You need to leave. I wouldn't try to ride this one out.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well, when it hit here, we usually don't get them, so our trees DO NOT BEND in the straight force winds, so this place was torn apart by trees down. Every house that has trees around it needs a chain saw gassed up and ready to go, IMO.

We -neighborhood men- had to cut the trees out of the driveways and roads so we could get out of here.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

My advice is very simple and to the point: get out as soon as possible. The storm surge from even a moderate tropical storm is crazy bad in an area as low as Manhattan.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Heres a buoy reading almost right under Irene. 30 foot swells. Thats gonna be one hell of a storm surge.

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
5-day plot - Wind Speed Wind Speed (WSPD): 40.8 kts
5-day plot - Wind Gust Wind Gust (GST): 52.4 kts
5-day plot - Wave Height Wave Height (WVHT): 29.2 ft
5-day plot - Dominant Wave Period Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 15 sec
5-day plot - Average Period Average Period (APD): 9.4 sec
5-day plot - Atmospheric Pressure Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.42 in
5-day plot - Pressure Tendency Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.10 in ( Falling Rapidly )
5-day plot - Air Temperature Air Temperature (ATMP): 80.4 °F
5-day plot - Water Temperature Water Temperature (WTMP): 84.6 °F

Link

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen6511
reply to post by JAG 1981

of all the preparations made, one that is often forgotten is coffee.

when you wake up to no power and a mess to clean up, you will be a hero if you can hand out a cup of coffee.
gives some normalcy to thinking about what to do.

all you need is basic camping equipment, a percolating coffee pot, a propane stove, or gas barbecue grill.

your electric coffee pot won't work.

If you dont have a percolator you can boil water on the grill and set the basket of your coffee maker over the pot. Slowly pour the boiled water over the grounds in the filter basket allowing the water to recede a little before pouring more.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Heres a buoy reading almost right under Irene. 30 foot swells. Thats gonna be one hell of a storm surge.

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
5-day plot - Wind Speed Wind Speed (WSPD): 40.8 kts
5-day plot - Wind Gust Wind Gust (GST): 52.4 kts
5-day plot - Wave Height Wave Height (WVHT): 29.2 ft
5-day plot - Dominant Wave Period Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 15 sec
5-day plot - Average Period Average Period (APD): 9.4 sec
5-day plot - Atmospheric Pressure Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.42 in
5-day plot - Pressure Tendency Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.10 in ( Falling Rapidly )
5-day plot - Air Temperature Air Temperature (ATMP): 80.4 °F
5-day plot - Water Temperature Water Temperature (WTMP): 84.6 °F

Link

Now that's interesting, considering you're not hearing about this on the MSM. NOW I'm worried.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join