It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another 4.5 in Virginia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Picking up or ...?

No Fear mongering thread but just a hmmmm...Let's watch it kind of notice.

I still find it a little strange that the quakes are happening in that area. Not unheard of yet certainly not normal.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

4 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.5
DateTime: Thursday August 25 2011, 05:07:51 UTC
Region: Virginia
Depth: 6 km
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd7841734d92.png[/atsimg]
Listing as 2 at different depths and 1 minute apart but this site often has glitches. I don't understand why because it's a feed from USGS but...

Confirmed at USGS as 1 at 4.5:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 4.5

* Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 05:07:50 UTC

Location 37.940°N, 77.896°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 51 km (31 miles) E of Charlottesville, Virginia
53 km (32 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
58 km (36 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
83 km (51 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.3 km (7.0 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)

On a personal note, I'm curious as to why it's happening now. A year ago or maybe 5 would fly under the wire but this is just another WTF moment when we don't need one and of course we explain it as a circular event. That's what we do when there is no other way to explain it.

Ok, got that. But, the circular events are picking up in frequency and intensity as far as I can see.

IMO

Only my 2 pennies.

edit on 25-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I just saw this a minute ago, I knew I would see it posted here
. I didn't feel this one where I am this time though.

edit on 25-8-2011 by Greensquad414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
quick post, but another just popped up as well. yours has more info, so star for you.

(ignore the haarpers destined to be here)
like i said in the other thread, you probably have another building up for tomorrow or the next day

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I saw the update before the tremor would have hit my area...I was ready this time, but I felt nothing

But yea, i'd say we have not seen the last of these VA quakes.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
So is this a new Earthquake or an aftershock?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
when I read the page, it lists two quakes at 4.5 (different depths)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This is crazy. This fault has been inactive for so long. Look at all the nuclear power plants located along the east coast. If this fault becomes more active, we're all screwed. Those plants were not designed to sustain earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

thats kind of relative, seeing as how an earthquake after an earthquake is an aftershock

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yep, I just made a post to report that I felt the tremor. I wanted to see if anyone else in the are felt it. Most everyone is asleep now. The epicenter is about 32 miles from where I live.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I just felt it and my heart stopped for a moment because the "big one" started out small and gradually got bigger, therefor now the aftershocks worry me, I have lived on the north east coast all my life so this is something new to me, It's frightening, I don't really care what people from "California" think, this is something new to me and it's damn scary, I can deal with traffic and crowded places, that's just how we do it in the north east, but earthquakes? wth? Ever since the big one I haven't been able to sleep properly, my daughter jumps at the sound of the darn Amtrak going by (We live by the Amtrak stop), It's not cool at all and these aftershocks are not helping.
edit on 8/25/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: typo

link   

Originally posted by fattyp
when I read the page, it lists two quakes at 4.5 (different depths)

2 different depths and 1 minute apart. This site often does this although it's a feed from USGS so who knows?

link   
reply to post by Venomilk

Not necessarily.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
also,
another 37N one just happened (8/25/11 morn) near mammoth lakes, CA

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk
reply to post by Screwed

thats kind of relative, seeing as how an earthquake after an earthquake is an aftershock

Not always, and sometimes the aftershocks can be more severe and at a shallower depth than the original thus causing more damage.

But most times, you would be correct.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Any quake in the vicinity of the epicentre of the initial mainshock (the mag 5.8) is deemed an aftershock until activity in the area returns to normal (i.e none in this case!!).

IF a larger earthquake occurs it will be deemed the mainshock and the 5.8 renegated to a foreshock.

HTH

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
So is this a new Earthquake or an aftershock?

That would be the question. All indicators and historical data would suggest an aftershock however this is not always the case and aftershocks can cause more damage than the original.

Just a "Watch Out" thread for those in the area. Not an "OMG!"...yet.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
what if they were equal M, which one would be the EQ and which one the AS?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
Any quake in the vicinity of the epicentre of the initial mainshock (the mag 5.8) is deemed an aftershock until activity in the area returns to normal (i.e none in this case!!).

IF a larger earthquake occurs it will be deemed the mainshock and the 5.8 renegated to a foreshock.

HTH

There ya go.

Well said and explained. As I mentioned in the OP. No alarm, just a "Be aware" notice.

You are correct in saying the aftershocks are usually weaker...but not always of course.

I truly hope these are the actual aftershocks and not a lead to the bigger event.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
what if they were equal M, which one would be the EQ and which one the AS?

Depends who was closer...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
oh. closer

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join