It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another 4.5 in Virginia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
reply to post by obummerdeception

I'd swap my mag 7.1 and a year of aftershocks for your 200ft comparatively brief encounter a tornado anyday.... but that's not the point, a point you are missing by a mile. It doesn't matter how BAD it was, it's how the individual experienced and deals with it. It's not a competition of whose storm/quake/rumble was bigger. Some may have shrugged it off, some haven't.. you can't 'tell' someone they experience wasn't as scary as it was.

I never said anyones experience was not scary.
Your missing MY POINT. Be thankful you have not been
through something worse.. I would take the 7.1 mag over a 40 ft tsunami!!!
I am thankful my natural experience were not worse.... You should be too

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

My point exactly.. always someone who has had a worse experience.. BUT.. that doesn't negate or make any less strong what people feel in "lesser events" because they don't have other events to compare it to. No-one, of course, would compare their NYC experience to Japan or Chile, but that's not the point.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by obummerdeception

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Originally posted by ISis12RA12ELohim
reply to post by jude11

I don't really care what people from "California" think, this is something new to me and it's damn scary

Just for the record, I've been in CA for nearly 30 years and every time there is a jolt,
I tremble.

There's nothing natural about feeling the earth moving quite literally beneath your feet, watching telephone poles and trees sway, hearing things pop and break. It is a seriously unnatural feeling of great imbalance and loss of control. Your world is swaying. The planet is moving. It's not a small feeling.

People who judge others and minimize what they are feeling are the reason we cannot empathize with the worlds population on a greater scale. We can't all be superman, nor are we meant to be. When we feel threatened, we respond. It's natural. It's flight or fight. It's the unknown and the anticipation of the unknown.

I will never understand the minimizing of another persons truth.
Here's where compassion can change the world.

I hope that you sleep tonight.

The people in katrina would of loved a little shake over what they got.
5,9 ooooo big deal

tell a japanese that story they will tell you what it is REALY LIKE

You're missing the point. The point is this:

A 5.9 to a person who has never felt a 5.9 can be a massive assault on the senses.
If something frightens you, it frightens you. Plain and simple. You cannot judge another person's fear or compare it to another person's experience. There is no fear gauge.

Each one of us has our own way of sensing the world and and our reactions to it vary greatly. We all cope, feel, think, and respond differently to various stimuli. What is really missing here is the empathy chip. We are not in competition as to who "should" feel the most vulnerable. We are here to acknowledge and listen to one another with an ear of compassion.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I just hope for people on the east coast that this is the tail end of things.

If it is the fat lady clearing her throat it will get real bad real fast there.

Also, come on guys if you want to waive my encounter was worse make your own thread. As previously stated people handle things differently. I have seen trained military men stare dumbfounded when someone goes into a seizure. I also seen little women do amazing things when under pressure, be it environmental or emotional.

What is a big deal for one person may be nothing to another and visa versa.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
yea hopefully. aftershock(s) arethe plate(s) settling in their new moved position? or could also be additional overlapping of sliding plates???

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

Knowing you felt it, and knowing where you are because I am originally from that area myself, (not exactly but close enough) now I know that what I witnessed a couple of hours ago was the aftershock. I live now in a neighboring county to you, more north so I know I didn't get shaken up quite as hard as you did. I am the only one in the house that noticed it, because I was sitting in a room with some glass knicknacks on the shelf and they rattled a little. Other than that it was pretty subtle and I wasn't sure if it was passing airplanes or thunder or what at first. Then as it went on and built a little, I figured it was possibly an aftershock but it was still soft enough to leave me unsure. I'm not too alarmed. I read we should be expecting a few aftershocks and they could get as big as a 5 at most. This could go on for months, but the article said it was likely just the next 3 days or so after the original quake.

I'm still trying to read any and all speculation from the experts on what could have caused the original. If it was man-made by fracking, that would be great because hopefully we can get them to stop. I'm sure the folks in our federal government aren't going to appreciate being shaken around every few weeks and will put a stop to fracking in that area and other problem spots if a compelling case can be put together to show fracking as the cause. That's a big IF, though.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvrshadow

I live about 20 or so miles from epicenter my dog woke me up barking like crazy at 1am then my table next to my bed started shakeing, I thought I was dreaming untill I saw the USGS website this morning.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
the question is... what is causing the quakes all over that place.

it must be something right.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2Unknown
the question is... what is causing the quakes all over that place.

it must be something right.

It's plate tectonics and the constant movement and shifting of the earth's crust. Sometimes things become "stuck" and pressure builds eventuating in a large release when it finally shifts itself i.e. an earthquake.

You should be more worried if there wasn't all this activity around the globe on a daily basis.

Rogue quakes like the Virginia / Colorado events will always pique interest and speculation of more to come, more so when the affect huge urban areas such as NYC which isn't necessarily the best prepared city for quakes in the US. Key is to be prepared on an individual level.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Dang....I missed this one! News said we could feel it in our area, but I was asleep.
I'm sure there will be more.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I am so glad you and your family are ok. I can't imagine living through that, but the frequency of these quakes is "shaking" me up as well. I live in Northern Indiana, and while we have had a few quakes, only minimal damge, but one was felt clear up to Wisconsin and Northern Michigan.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Oh noooooo America is gonna explode!

We are all gonna die!!!!

I had a 4.5 on the toilet this morning.

Those damn jalepenos again!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 2Unknown

This might be a little bit off topic, but still, to me, interesting. I am a teacher and I get up at 5:00a.m..EDT. I have a cat who through the school year makes it a point to make sure I am awake at that precise time. Now, this past week, she has persistently woke me between 2 and 3 a.m.. She meows until I get up. The morning of the VA quake, she woke me up at 2:30 a.m.. I had a horrible migraine headache and I was not amused at her. I felt crappy all day, then the earthquake and my headache was gone. Last night, at 3:00a.m. she again woke me until I got out of bed. While I didn't have a headache, I see where there have been aftershocks from the VA quake. My point? I guess that animals are super sensitive to these activities and to pay attention to their behavior. Her timing might be off to get up on time, but before she has always waited until 5:00a.m.. I am intrigued.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I just wanted to add my thoughts as a fellow east coaster. I'm in Boston and didn't feel a thing however, the 5.8 has me a bit freaked out too. We all know how unpredictable the Earth can be and we also know that over time seismic areas can change. Some go dormant, some become very active, seemingly out of nowhere.

This size EQ may be nothing in Japan or California or NZ etc, but for this part of the world it's a huge deal and I for one hope it's over. This quake and the one in CO. were extremely shallow and if you have ever read more than two words about EQ's you know what that means. The quake in VA was felt nearly a thousand miles away.

Our infrastructure on the east coast is not designed for strong EQ's, that includes our nuclear facilities. A bit more than a 5.8 and we could be talking severe damage, fear is justified and maybe in a few more days everyone will pipe down and get used to aftershocks. I think right now though, it is perfectly reasonable to be talking about it and hoping the worst has passed.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by obummerdeception

Originally posted by ISis12RA12ELohim
reply to post by jude11

I don't really care what people from "California" think, this is something new to me and it's damn scary

Just for the record, I've been in CA for nearly 30 years and every time there is a jolt,
I tremble.

There's nothing natural about feeling the earth moving quite literally beneath your feet, watching telephone poles and trees sway, hearing things pop and break. It is a seriously unnatural feeling of great imbalance and loss of control. Your world is swaying. The planet is moving. It's not a small feeling.

People who judge others and minimize what they are feeling are the reason we cannot empathize with the worlds population on a greater scale. We can't all be superman, nor are we meant to be. When we feel threatened, we respond. It's natural. It's flight or fight. It's the unknown and the anticipation of the unknown.

I will never understand the minimizing of another persons truth.
Here's where compassion can change the world.

I hope that you sleep tonight.

The people in katrina would of loved a little shake over what they got.
5,9 ooooo big deal

tell a japanese that story they will tell you what it is REALY LIKE

You're missing the point. The point is this:

A 5.9 to a person who has never felt a 5.9 can be a massive assault on the senses.
If something frightens you, it frightens you. Plain and simple. You cannot judge another person's fear or compare it to another person's experience. There is no fear gauge.

Each one of us has our own way of sensing the world and and our reactions to it vary greatly. We all cope, feel, think, and respond differently to various stimuli. What is really missing here is the empathy chip. We are not in competition as to who "should" feel the most vulnerable. We are here to acknowledge and listen to one another with an ear of compassion.

You are wrong. Hell yea there is a fear gauge! Why wouldn't there be?

All yoú have to do is place people accordingly in the fear gauge.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You want to talk about fear? I just finished watching Paranormal Activity 2 when the couch I was sitting on started to move and things on the table began shaking. I nearly pooped my panties.

I sighed in relief as I figured out it was JUST the first earthquake I have felt in my 25 years on this planet.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Right, it's like pain. Pain is relevant to the individual. My pain is a "10" to me, but the same kind of pain may only be a "5" to someone else. You can't judge someone else's pain.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have been in 2 major quakes in calif. Alot of people on the east coast, this was their first experience with a quake which can make it really scary for them.

you will have after shocks for a while but they should decrease in intensity and number

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by goochball

oh man, talk about bad timing, huh? I don't know what I would have thought if I'd been you. I have a feeling I would have discovered that I can fly, and I would have flown out of the room screaming my head off!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Correction: Joplin, Mo.. not "Joplin MS". I don't believe there is a Joplin, Mississippi.
You sure you were really 200 ft away from a tornado? I was born and raised in tornado alley, 200 ft is pretty darn close for someone to be to a tornado, survive it, and then lack any kind pity for their fellow human being who has also been faced with a natural disaster. I'd say you are a liar.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join