It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydro-fracking and Earthquakes..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here is an article where they suggest that hydrofracking may indeed be causing the recent wave of small tremors and quakes.This one in particular is about wells that have been shut-down in Arkansas due to a heavy volume of tremors and quakes.Also this maybe the reason behind the Earthquake today centered in and around Mineral,Virginia.
Source

The number and strength of earthquakes in central Arkansas have noticeably dropped since the shutdown of two injection wells in the area, although a state researcher says it’s too early to draw any conclusions.
The Center for Earthquake Research and Information recorded around 100 earthquakes in the seven days preceding the shutdown earlier this month, including the largest quake to hit the state in 35 years — a magnitude 4.7 on Feb. 27. A dozen of the quakes had magnitudes greater than 3.0. In the days since the shutdown, there have been around 60 recorded quakes, with only one higher than a magnitude 3.0. The majority were between magnitudes 1.2 and 2.8.
The two injection wells are used to dispose of wastewater from natural-gas production. One is owned by Chesapeake Energy, and the other by Clarita Operating. They agreed March 4 to temporarily cease injection operations at the request of the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission.
The commission said preliminary studies showed evidence potentially linking injection activities with nearly 1,000 quakes in the region over the past six months.

The video below is an interview with Scott Ausbrook of the Arkansas Geological Survey.

Below is a pic of the Marcellus Shale Distribution.

This is an image of Rockingham County in Virginia where current fracking is happening.

Map below shows the locations of earthquakes in or near Virginia. The Giles County seismic zone is shown in pink and the Central Virginia seismic zone is shown in yellow.

From the comments on the Earthquake posted today it seems that the quake was felt through out this region inside the Shale formation predominantly.Looking for a map of wells in the whole shale distribution.No luck yet.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
No fracking way! Seriously though, good find, thanks. Gonna research it!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I felt nothing. I'm in Eastern NC. Hmm, my sister just called me and said some counties were being evacuated and I was like, well it's not me. I don't know if that's true. I haven't heard or read anything about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Stop Hydraulic Fracturing now...It is creating earthquakes!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've only read maybe an hours worth on fracking, didn't know it existed until today, and since the state of Arkansas has banned it, why hasn't it been looked into by the Federal Courts as well? I know why....$$$$$$$$$$$

Prophecies of doom and gloom, the bible and revelations about earthquakes...man, it's not the wrath of god we're suffering, we're creating our own demise from greed!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
I've only read maybe an hours worth on fracking, didn't know it existed until today, and since the state of Arkansas has banned it, why hasn't it been looked into by the Federal Courts as well? I know why....$$$$$$$$$$$

Prophecies of doom and gloom, the bible and revelations about earthquakes...man, it's not the wrath of god we're suffering, we're creating our own demise from greed!

And Arkansas isn't the only place.Hmmm,Greed..indeed.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Just adding evidence to the fracking case

rt.com

Explicitly, the United States Geological Survey has published a finding confirming that processes like fracking can be to blame for “natural” disasters. "Earthquakes induced by human activity have been documented in a few locations in the United States, Japan and Canada,” writes the USGS. “The cause was injection of fluids into deep wells for waste disposal and secondary recovery of oil and the use of reservoirs for water supplies."

new topics

top topics

join