It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane IRENE's Path

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Prediction..........gotta go with DC, Virginia direct hit...............and on to NYC.

After the earthquake this is shaping up for a "wrath of God" type disaster.

Hope I am wrong. Seriously.

I am from Virginia, South east coastal Va. I have penciled in "Locusts" for some time next week.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdebunker
A hurricane moving over, or the norheast of the eyewall, the Chesapeake Bay is not a good scenario. The water could possibly pile up and create a pretty nasty storm surge.

It could but the way the land is laid out here, the eastern shore kind of redirects, then you have the Peninsula jutting out into the mouth of the bay, ( thats where I am), on the south side of the entrance to the bay Norfolk is a pot belly of land that juts out into the bay from that side. The way the winds blow in a hurricane will have the water first hitting the coast from the north east, that is blocked by the eastern shore, then as it passes the winds are from the south west which actually pushes water out of the bay. Nothing but a storm roaring straight up the bay from the atlantic would do what you are thinking. That would be a storm coming from the direction of Burmuda not from a southern direction but one coming in due west. Its possible, close situations like that have occurred in the past though nothing direct from the west head on. And this storm is not coming in that way. Its a classic hurricane set up although bigger and meaner than any I have seen so far. It's path will be the classic NNE passing Hatteras.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Dont worry hon, the pines will sway, they always do. The big hardwoods, those are the ones that come down. Pine is soft and flexible. They wont fall over but you will have tons of pine needles to clean up.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I hope and pray that everyone will be safe and sound. Here is what the National Geographic website has to say.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Does anyone know why Hurricane's are almost always named after a female?

While it used to be true that they were all named after females after 1979 it was changed to alternate male female. Originally I believe the storms were named for wives left at home by the sailors who named them. The Natl Weather Service did not start giving them formal names until after the 1930's.
It was originally suggested by a feminist movement group in the 1960 that they name the storms after senators who just love having things named after them.
www.history.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Emptiness Dancing

We should get all the shore people to post updates and situations in their areas during the storm. I am south of you in Hampton Va. I too can spit onto the bay from my house.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't think we'll see any of it on the West Coast of FL. It's still beautiful outside.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by St Udio

Dont worry hon, the pines will sway, they always do. The big hardwoods, those are the ones that come down. Pine is soft and flexible. They wont fall over but you will have tons of pine needles to clean up.

dah-ling, i herd the pine needles onto the lawn i resist mowing, its a blessing, i have some Golf Geen turf, some centipede, and the rest is pine straw to kill the weeds & stuff.

also some goes into the compost piles... but the large limbs still don't seem to be as flexible as you propose
and the leaning trees (2 trees are some 15º from perpendicular) are dangerously hanging over the house or less than 20' away....

but thanks for the positive outlook 'karen 6-10-57'... i need that energy to support my own positive thinking & avoid/excape a disaster at this moment in time..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It appears Irene and shifted a bit in it's path. According to current tracking it should hit a bit more South of where it was projected to make landfall. Looking at the tracking, my best estimate would be between Wilmington, NC and Jacksonville NC.

The good news is the storm has shown some signs of weakening. My best advice to those in this area, keep a close eye on this storm.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join