It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Infamous Chappaquiddick Incident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The Infamous Chappaquiddick Incident

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d038dec143a8.jpg[/atsimg]

(Teddy Kennedy Prior To His Death In 2009)

The Kennedy family have somewhat of a reputation, and, quite obviously, not much of a positive one, despite being a, at one time, presidential family in the early 60's. Over the years certain well known incidents and tragedies befell the family though, this eventually causing some to believe the family is quite literally cursed in some way - The "Kennedy Curse" as It became known.

After all, 2 of the most famous family members, John and Robert (A.K.A Bobby), both met their demise very publicly and by assassin’s bullets in 1963 and in 1968. The first male of this generation of family members himself previously meeting his own demise during World War 2 in 1944 while flying his modified B-24 Liberator drone bomber over southern England, one that eventually blew up in odd circumstances in what was, we was to later learn, a very unnecessary mission to undertaken, his body also never being recovered. This causing some others to claim conspiracy had occurred here as well as with the other 2 brothers, something many still discuss and suspect today.

And finally the last male from this generation of family members was Ted (AKA: Teddy or Edward) - the topic of discussion in this thread in fact. He didn't die young or prematurely however, although he was directly responsible for what became a national scandal at the time, resulting in the death of an innocent women, Mary Jo Kopechne, someone who had been previously helping Bobby with his presidential campaign before he was unfortunately murdered, and it also resulted in the ruined career of this promising politician and presidential hopeful - even seriously trying to reach the white house in 1980 but failing in large part due to tough questions on this very scandal being discussed in this thread right now.

This was the Kennedy sweep as it can be referred to - All 4 male members of this generation, and all of which had very strong presidential aspirations, one of which reaching the white house, all cut down in some way or another. It seems the whitehouse was certainly not a place destined for a Kennedy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9237a689e3a.jpg[/atsimg]

(From Left To Right: John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy and Ted Edward Moore -Teddy- Kennedy)

That, however, was not to say a Kennedy couldn't actively remain involved in politics still - something Teddy certainly was able to do up until August 25, 2009 where he was to unfortunately pass away from a Brain Tumor at age 77, being diagnosed the previous year. Teddy being one of few family members from this generation to die of natural causes. An unfortunate passing of a major figure in American Politics, something no one can deny really.

Throughout his career though, and like I had mentioned, he even made a few presidential campaigns hoping to reach the presidency like JFK had done and like Bobby was so close to achieving. In fact, with the assassination of RFK, quite an amount of political pressure was placed on the shoulders of Teddy in 1968, many of his peers trying to force him into running for office.

Each attempt was met with failure though due to one incident that will always stick out for him, the one defining moment - the moment everyone will remember about Teddy - The Infamous Chappaquiddick incident. Now, at this point I really do have to question the timing of one such event. I mean, we all know the story of JFK and how the official story in the form of the Warren Commission may not exactly be as it would seem, in fact the official story was a shambles and one that can, and has been, picked apart over the years with relative ease. Leading theories tell us, with more evidence than one would assume, that individuals in very high places were prepared to do anything to ensure this Kennedy would not be president a day longer than was neccesary - murder by assassination being the only option.

The story of RFK is also a very intriguing one indeed. He, like JFK, was, and probably more so, absolutely despised by those suspected individuals involved in the murder of his elder brother, the president. Both brothers certainly made a lot of powerful enemies, but more so Bobby than John. It's heavily suspected he was even pushing to, upon being president himself, open the JFK files and release them to the public in order for us to know the true story about how his brother was gunned down in Dealey Plaza. Upon making that push for the presidency though - in a campaign that was running very well for him - surprise, surprise he met the same fate - assassins bullet, ones also proving fatal.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54db2b547a61.jpg[/atsimg]

(Teddy Kennedy in his younger days)

Now we have the third Kennedy to make some serious noise in American Politics, Teddy. Now, Isn't it the least bit conceivable that those, assuming the conspiracy is true of course - as it's suspected to be by most, those involved in the assassination of first JFK, and then RFK, were once again worried by the prospect of another Kennedy making a push for the white house? It would be dangerous for them after all as Teddy would undoubtedly look to access what information he could on the death of his older brothers, or at the very least, the possibility for him to do so would be there for him. So, what could be done to stop this? Murder him like his brothers perhaps? Well, It's a possibility but one that would certainly raise eyebrows from investigators - 3 assassinations from 3 members of the same family, from the same generation in fact, one of which was to the then president and the next two that occurred was to the younger brothers, both of which were showing strong promise for the white house and all of these assassinations, all of which are supposedly unrelated, all occurring in the time spa of a mere 7 years - Hm, It would look quite peculiar indeed.

Instead, why not frame him? It spares his life of course, but it forever ruins his political career and keeps him out of the whitehouse - the intended goal. And In fact, during Teddy's future presidential campaign, Chappaquiddick was to be constantly brought up by his opponent, this effectively ending his presidential ambition's there and then. This very incident also forced him not to run in previous years before his eventual campaign also - It seemed the plan was working. This incident, one that was a conspiracy or not, will forever be what he is remembered for - the one defining moment in his career. But, and bearing all of this in mind, what actually happened exactly?..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/282110f97b1f.jpg[/atsimg]

(An Image of Mary Jo Kopechne, the victim from the Chappaquiddick Incident)

Well, the Chappaquiddick incident was to occur on Chappaquiddick Island situated in Edgartown, Massachusetts. It was to occur on July 18th, 1969 after a party was being held on the island - one where Mary Jo Kopechne and both Teddy attended. Kopechne herself, as I previously mentioned, was heavily involved in the presidential campaign of Teddy's brother, Bobby, at times helping in the making of his speeches It’s claimed, for example. Due to the assassination of RFK in July of 1968 however she, as well as the rest of the team, was absolutely devastated. She's been quoted as saying: "I just feel Bobby's presence everywhere. I can't go back because it will never be the same again."

The 6 women team involved in RFK's campaign are most often referred to as the "Boiler Room Girls" largely due to the hot, loud and windowless conditions in which they were working under while at Kennedy's campaign headquarters in Washington - after his death though the women involved seemingly went there own ways in politics, apart from the few occasions where the team met up together to reminisce the campaign trail, discuss Bobby, and to applaud the time and sheer amount of effort they had all dedicated to the campaign for him.

The party in which the team had attended on Chappaquiddick was around the 4th one attended all in all in fact. After partying that day at the Lawrence Cottage on the island though, and at around 11:15pm Mary decided to leave the party and head back to her hotel situated off the island, Kennedy being at the party and deciding to leave at this time also offered to drive Mary back himself as both had to catch a ferry off the island at the same location.

Over the years some have claimed that Teddy and Mary Jo were more than acquaintances at this time, particularly as at the time they drove away from the party together almost secretly. Anyway, continuing on - Despite the fact that Teddy did indeed know the island fairly well, he took a wrong turn and instead of heading to the ferry, he went in the complete opposite direction, instead heading across a dirt road before coming across a narrow bridge which was where he somehow managed to overturn his car into the water before managing to escape himself, Mary not being so lucky. Or as the official story goes..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98e0b06adb6d.png[/atsimg]

(Image of the crash site the next day)

This in itself is odd as investigators found out Teddy, despite what the official story stated, was speeding, he was potentially drunk and the road he was on, particularly leading to the bridge, had no lights on it - this being one of the tell tale signs he had taken a wrong turn, as well as the fact he was now on a dirt road. Those who claim he and Mary were having an affair, despite Teddy being married at the time, claim at this time that he was driving to a quiet location where he and Mary could be alone together.

Teddy's actions after this incident have been heavily scrutinized over the years and they're the direct reason why his career was said to have been ruined. In his own words though, he described the events as follows:

On July 18, 1969, at approximately 11.15 on Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vineyard, I was driving my car on Main Street on my way to get the ferry back to Edgartown.

I was unfamiliar with the road and turned onto Dyke Road instead of bearing left on Main Street. After proceeding for approximately a half mile on Dyke Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow bridge. The car went off the side of the bridge.

There was one passenger with me, Miss Kopechne, a former secretary of my brother Robert Kennedy. The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom. I attempted to open the door and window of the car but have no recollection of how I got out of the car. I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car. I was unsuccessful in the attempt. I was exhausted and in a state of shock. I recall walking back to where my friends were eating. There was a car parked in front of the cottage and I climbed into the back seat. I then asked for someone to bring me back to Edgartown.
(Source)

What's particularly odd is Kennedy had always claimed he has no idea how he managed to get out of the car. This in itself is quite odd and many have suggested that Kennedy is all but lying about this - potentially in an effort to cover his own tracks, or to save himself from those putting him in this position perhaps. Here's an Interesting quote from researcher Richard Sprague on this very theory:

They ambushed Ted and Mary Jo after they left the cottage and knocked Ted out with blows to his head and body. They took the unconscious or semi-conscious Kennedy to Martha's Vineyard and deposited him in his hotel room. Another group took Mary Jo to the bridge in Ted's car, force fed her with a knock out potion of alcoholic beverage, placed her in the back seat, and caused the car to accelerate off the side of the bridge into the water. They broke the windows on one side of the car to insure the entry of water; then they watched the car until they were sure Mary Jo would not escape.

Mary Jo actually regained consciousness and pushed her way to the top of the car (which was actually the bottom of the car -- it had landed on its roof) and died from asphyxiation. The group with Teddy revived him early in the morning and let him know he had a problem. Possibly they told him that Mary Jo had been kidnapped. They told him his children would be killed if he told anyone what had happened and that he would hear from them. On Chappaquiddick, the other group made contact with Markham and Gargan, Ted's cousin and lawyer. They told both men that Mary Jo was at the bottom of the river and that Ted would have to make up a story about it, not revealing the existence of the group. One of the men resembled Ted and his voice sounded something like Ted's. Markham and Gargan were instructed to go the Vineyard on the morning ferry, tell Ted where Mary Jo was, and come back to the island to wait for a phone call at a pay station near the ferry on the Chappaquiddick side.

The two men did as they were told and Ted found out what had happened to Mary Jo that morning. The three men returned to the pay phone and received their instructions to concoct a story about the "accident" and to report it to the police. The threat against Ted's children was repeated at that time.
(Source)

Anyway, according to the official story of events, Kennedy, after allegedly jumping back into the water on more than one occasion in order to save Mary Jo, despite having no memory of the events which had taken place, then proceeded to return to the party where he and Mary Jo previously were - at no time reporting the incident to authorities despite passing several houses, and even an open fire station among other suitable people - even the nearby house, one that can be seen from the crash site I believe.

Kennedy also claims:

"instead of looking directly for a telephone number after lying exhausted in the grass for an undetermined time, walked back to the cottage where the party was being held and requested the help of two friends, my cousin Joseph Gargan and Paul Markham, and directed them to return immediately to the scene with me - this was some time after midnight - in order to undertake a new effort to dive."
(Source)

Bizarrely, Kennedy once again refused to call authorities after failing in this new attempt, one I don't really believe occurred. After failing for a second time though, he decided to just give up, presumably hope for the best, and to catch the ferry and head back to his hotel. Unfortunately it was closed he claimed and it was then that he decided, in an odd series of events, to swim over the channel of water, almost drowning in the process. He, while at the hotel where he was staying yet again refused to call authorities to report what had happened according to official phone records found in the investigation into the case.

His route is shown in this image (Note: the time was 11:45 - not 11:5 - I believe that's a mere typo from the individual who made the image):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/470130598f9b.jpg[/atsimg]

The following morning at around 20 minutes past 8, 2 nearby fisherman reported seeing "something" resembling an overturned car in the water near the bridge where Kennedy and Mary Jo crashed and overturned the previous night, and it was here that authorities were first called to investigate what had really happened.

Authorities, such as Police Chief James Arena arrived shortly afterwards and after an unsuccessful attempt to gain access to the car, which at this time was still in the water, a professional diver was called into investigate, the diver being John Farrar, arriving at approximately 8:45 that same morning. It was here that Mary Jo's body was discovered in the water.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49b64ba400b6.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's an image of diver John Farrar at the scene of the wreckage

It's been claimed that Gargan and Markham both spoke to Kennedy that morning, presumably to inform him of what had happened to Mary - at this time Kennedy still not alerting any authorities to his involvement or even what had happened the night before. I believe at around 9am he joined Gargan and Markham on the ferry back to Chappaquiddick Island. Steve Ewing, the ferry operator, allegedly claimed that Kennedy showed no real signs of what happened, in fact, he was in a "jovial mood" on the return trip. It was only when Kennedy reached the island though that he was to finally report the incident to the proper authorities forever tarnishing his name and almost ruining his political career, certainly his presidential ambitions.

I believe this was at approximately 10 am that Kennedy entered the police station in Edgartown, made a couple of telephone calls, then dictated a statement to his aide Paul Markham, which was then given to the police.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da76b1d03825.jpg[/atsimg]

(Image of the supposedly injured Kennedy being interviewed after the incident)

The way in which Mary died though has always come under severe scrutiny. Here's an interesting snippet discussing some of the doubts:

There were also doubts about the way Kopechne died. Dr. Donald Mills of Edgartown, wrote on the death certificate: "death by drowning". However, Gene Frieh, the undertaker, told reporters that death "was due to suffocation rather than drowning". John Farrar, the diver who removed Kopechne from the car, claimed she was "too buoyant to be full of water". It is assumed that she died from drowning, although her parents filed a petition preventing an autopsy.
(Source)

..They later claimed they only did so as It was to determine whether Mary was pregnant. Here's a fascinating radio interview with Farrar, the diver who recovered Mary's body also:

In this interview he claims: The driver, Ted, was confirmed to be speeding at the time the car crashed - and that the inquest was lying and suppressed information to claim that Kennedy was merely driving at 20 miles an hour. He also claims Blood was found on the back of the blouse of Mary - he claims it would be exactly how you would expect if she was suffocated. He also confirms he was pressured into not talking about the findings he had - ones detrimental to Kennedy.

Some researchers have also claimed:

Kennedy claimed he got back at the cottage at 12.20 a.m. He got the time from the Valiant car while he sat in the back seat discussing the problem with his two friends, Joe Gargan and Paul Markham. This was a lie. It was later discovered that the Valiant car (rented for the weekend) did not have a clock.

According to their testimony Kennedy, Gargan and Markham then went back to the scene of the accident and tried to get Mary Jo out of the car. After 45 minutes they accepted defeat. Kennedy told the men he was going to report the accident once back in Edgartown. He then swam back as he thought the last ferry had gone. This was a risky thing to do and as Kennedy admitted afterwards, he nearly drowned getting to his hotel.

Gargan and Markham claimed they got back to the cottage at around 2.15 a.m. If so, this leaves an hour accounted for. This point was not explored at the inquest.

Jared Grant operated the Chappaquiddick Ferry. The last ferry usually went at midnight. However, that night his last run was 12.45 a.m. He did not actually close the ferry until 1.20 a.m. He later testified that he saw several boats “running back and forth” between the island and Edgartown. During this period he was never approached by Kennedy, Gargan or Markham.

That night Kennedy spoke to the room clerk at the Shiretown Inn at 2.30 a.m. According to Gargan this was to establish an alibi. At this stage he intended to claim he had not been driving the car.
(Source)

Kennedy was lying about what happened. We know this. Unfortunately, though, this in no way gives us an indication of exactly what did happen - something we may, quite frankly, never learn.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f7624d66a3f.jpg[/atsimg]

(Image of Kennedy after the incident)

Over the years conspiracists have rejected the official story of events however and classified the true story into just 3 possible scenarios - the first of which being that Teddy was framed by either his political rivals or by anyone else with a motive (such as the one I highlighted in this thread and the theory I believe), the second of which being that Teddy was responsible, but the conspiracy being he worked hard to originally divert the blame to others, like when Mary was blamed for driving. And finally the last of which being that the incident of the car driving over the bridge was a cover of a previous, potentially more heinous crime - this exasperated by the fact no autopsy on Mary was ever conducted, and that she seemingly didn't originally drown - perhaps this fits into scenario 1 also.

Who knows, perhaps some tried to frame him - and if they did, they still faced the might of the Kennedy power as in this fascinating video below, Leslie Leland claims the family are the ones responsible for swaying the investigation in favor of Kennedy and withholding important information, such as the speed of the car, or how both participants were clearly intoxicated for example:

Kennedy was merely found guilty of leaving the scene of an accident - the true extend of his involvement, to this day, has never been revealed.

Anyway, thanks to all who took the time to read this theory, I really do hope to hear your opinions on this theory concerning Teddy Kennedy now.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Great work bubbaloo . . . you put a lot into this.

The reality of this (and so many other things that go on either directly or at the periphery of the political arena) is that we'll really never know exactly what happened.

The power of the Kennedy family was astounding, but the price they've paid over the last five decades is horrifying. You have to wonder if the family believes it was all worth it.

That notwithstanding, you get a waver and sparklie thang from me!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Another well made thread. Nice job.

It's pretty clear that there was something shady going on there, but we'll probably never know exactly what it was. At this point, it's pretty much just a matter of historical curiosity as to what really happened.

But anyway, thanks for the great looking thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

but we'll probably never know exactly what it was. At this point, it's pretty much just a matter of historical curiosity as to what really happened.

Agreed, we will probably never know the truth here, and there's no denying that - but at the same time we may do. And since we know we haven't received it thus far, we should undoubtedly continue searching for it.. Well, In my opinion. It's why we post to ATS after all, we look for the truth.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words Subject.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
It's why we post to ATS after all, we look for the truth.

I guess. Oddly enough, I haven't found a lot of what I would call "truth" here.
But we can still look for it.

Sure, it would be good, in an intellectual sense, to know the truth so we can have the facts straight for the record, but it wouldn't change anything. We couldn't bring her back, oe punish him.

On the other hand, those who do not learn history are destined to repeat it, so knowing the truth would be good in that sense, and if by knowing the facts of this incident, a similar one could be prevented, I'm all for that.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
My Dad grew up in the area at the time and told me about a conversation he had with a trooper that was at the scene. He said that when the dive team stood on the roof of the car they were ankle deep in the water. That the car didn't land upside down, that it wasn't deep, and that Mary Jo's body was retrieved from the vehicle naked, all should come as no surprise from a family like the Kennedy's.

On a side note tourists for decades would come to the bridge to chip a piece off for souvenirs. Teddy was awful upset about that and almost had the name of the bridge changed from Chappaquiddick to Quityerchippin! (Okay that's just a joke...lighten up)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Originally posted by Rising Against
It's why we post to ATS after all, we look for the truth.

I guess. Oddly enough, I haven't found a lot of what I would call "truth" here.
But we can still look for it.

Sure, it would be good, in an intellectual sense, to know the truth so we can have the facts straight for the record, but it wouldn't change anything. We couldn't bring her back, oe punish him.

On the other hand, those who do not learn history are destined to repeat it, so knowing the truth would be good in that sense, and if by knowing the facts of this incident, a similar one could be prevented, I'm all for that.

A story has been around for quite a while regarding CIA involvement. It was also mentioned in Russ Baker's book, Family Of Secrets. Here's the full article:

CIA And Chappaquiddick

I could explain a lot of strange details connected to the case.

RA, another great thread.!!!
edit on 23-8-2011 by Oldnslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

but it wouldn't change anything. We couldn't bring her back, oe punish him.

I can't, and won't speak for everyone here but I will say that personally, that's not important. I don't look into this case or any other to bring anyone to justice or anything like that really, I look into it because I feel we deserve to know the truth.

There's not much more to it than that I guess. I just feel the truth is important and worth searching for, even if there is no retribution for anyone.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldnslo

That's a great link oldnslo and not one I've seen before admittedly. If you have any more like that I, and I'm sure others, would love to see it!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
My Dad grew up in the area at the time and told me about a conversation he had with a trooper that was at the scene. He said that when the dive team stood on the roof of the car they were ankle deep in the water. That the car didn't land upside down, that it wasn't deep, and that Mary Jo's body was retrieved from the vehicle naked, all should come as no surprise from a family like the Kennedy's.

On a side note tourists for decades would come to the bridge to chip a piece off for souvenirs. Teddy was awful upset about that and almost had the name of the bridge changed from Chappaquiddick to Quityerchippin! (Okay that's just a joke...lighten up)

I also lived in the general area and that is similar to the stuff I heard. Most of the locals were convinced it was a cover up because of the Kennedy wealth.

Many years later there was the scandal were Ted had an entire flight crew fired when they caught the SOB sitting in a first class seat with a cattle class ticket. It came up on a radio talk show, in Massachusetts, a 95% democrat state. The show was swamped by shop clerks, waitresses and others of the "servant class" with complaints about his nasty behavior to his "inferiors" - A MAFIA princeling showing his true colors.

I just google for the incident and there is absolutely nothing about the scandal on the web even though it occurred in the mid nineties..... another cover-up @@:

...There were also doubts about the way Kopechne died. Dr. Donald Mills of Edgartown, wrote on the death certificate: "death by drowning". However, Gene Frieh, the undertaker, told reporters that death "was due to suffocation rather than drowning". John Farrar, the diver who removed Kopechne from the car, claimed she was "too buoyant to be full of water". It is assumed that she died from drowning, although her parents filed a petition preventing an autopsy.... www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk...

edit on 23-8-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
RA, Teriffic thread as usual. I have always wondered about this incident. I could swear that I had heard that when the body was examined that she was found to be pregnant. I haven't been able to find anything about that though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

He also claims Blood was found on the back of the blouse of Mary - he claims it would be exactly how you would expect if she was suffocated

What kind of blood stains does one typically leave when suffocated? This sounds hyperbolic and un-credible.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
...excellent read... thx...

...i too was wondering about the alleged blood on the back of her shirt and how that related to suffocating... even if someone suffocated her, it still doesnt seem to work...

...also heard she was pregnant and found naked... always figured he was boppin her and, being catholic he didnt use a rubber, so she got pregnant... got two theories...

...1... on that fatal nite, she demanded that he step up and behave like a real man instead of a spoiled rich brat - and - he lost his temper and killed her, then sent the car into the drink as a cover-up...

...or...2... in the car, they were arguing and when he told her that he could not / would not acknowledge his bastard - mary flipped out, grabbed the steering wheel and off into the drink they went... she was knocked unconcious and him being the wimp that he is - he didnt try once to save her... he just walked away...

...that he waited until the next morning to inform authorities is simply inexcusable... if a non-wealthy guy told the exact same story as ted, he wouldve gone to prison...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Very well done my friend, I am so glad you tackled this one. Seems so many people get so wrapped up in JFK they seem to forget this ever happened as well.

I have always been amazed that he was still able to serve in the capacity that he did until his death pretty much, and have wondered why people let him slide on short memories. Almost like someone threw him a bone and just said play along and we will let you have this instead.

If any or one iota of what he said was true about that night, he was definitely acting or behaving as someone truly intoxicated thats for sure. I mean, I don't know how wide that channel is to swim, but I don't think a sober person would attempt it. Not to mention the fact that even on the hottest days of summer, the water is still pretty darn cold here in New England.

The ferry captain is also a interesting puzzle piece as far as what he had to say about the night and the other boats and times etc..

I will comment more later, have things to do now, but again S&F many times over.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Sorry for the slow replies to this thread, I've been quite busy lately. More to come though. Anyway, thanks for your post LG..

I could swear that I had heard that when the body was examined that she was found to be pregnant.

Hmm, all I can think of concerning that issue right now is that her parents, I can only assume, were told the only reason for an autopsy would be to determine if she was pregnant at all - this autopsy subsequently being refused by them for whatever reason.

I only say 'I assume' because surely if anything other than the official story of Mary drowning had been put to them then an autopsy would be the only option to take really..

But no, we don't know for sure if she was pregnant or not as far as I'm aware.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Nice thread. I came to the Chappaquiddick Incident from a totally different perspective.... the Apollo 11 launch of July 16th, 1969. There were newspapers indicating at the time that President Nixon had made plans to be at Kennedy Space Center for the historic launch. However, Nixon himself cancelled the plan on word from the NASA doctors that he might give the astronauts a germ.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e153024491c5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/252bac34c3d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Nixon watched the Apollo 11 launch from the White House with astronaut Frank Borman.

At this point I had answered my own rhetorical question : "Where was President Nixon during the Apollo 11 launch." But I wasn't satisified... so I kept digging. There had to be a really, really, a better reason for Nixon not to attend the launch....

On the night of July 16th there was a party at the White House for key insiders. I'm sure a lot of WH parties are scripted like this one. Greetings in the Blue room; men retire to the Red room, Yellow room for the women. The party lasts until after midnight. Nixon's Eyes Wide Shut. Source Nixon Presidential Diary

Not such a big deal, right? An intimate party for "29" Republican insiders and staff members? I kept digging on Nixon because I wanted to know Nixon's whereabouts for the full duration of the Apollo 11 mission - which lasted up until the next week July 24, 1969. I was reading the Nixon Presidential diaries and noted that he was headed for Camp David on Thursday night, the night of the 17th July. Backed up by newspaper reports from the era. Source Middlesboro Daily News - Jul 19, 1969

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f05a3b9b37ca.jpg[/atsimg]

After reaching Camp David one of the first contacts Nixon attempts to make is with the Bohemian Grove. Nixon's diary picks up the next day, the Friday the 28th. Source Nixon Presidential Diary

On Friday the 18th Nixon goes bowling at Camp David, he goes swimming at Camp David. In the evening Nixon takes a car ride to Gettysburg to visit Mamie Eisenhower. Nixon even visits a gift shop in Gettysburg, which is kind of unusual because of the time of night we are talking about.. after 9pm local time. Nixon is Back at Camp David on Friday night and makes his last contact of the evening, Reverend Billy Graham. Source Nixon Presidential Diary. This is very close to the time frames when Mary Jo & Ted are involved in "the Chappaquiddick Incident".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a408b0785b19.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a large map for illustration of the distances involved.

The next entry in Nixon's Presidential diary opens up Saturday morning of the 19th. There is clearly a gap in the diary from Friday night to Saturday morning... at least 12 hours. Nixon goes bowling again, and swimming again. Nixon returned to the White House early afternoon on Saturday 19th.

The diary shows who went to Camp David with Nixon and who came back with him to the White House.
It is interesting to note that Nixon visits to Camp David with only his most trusted people, BeBe Rebozo, H.R. Bob Halderman, Ron Pontius (Secret Service, who was on the Kennedy Detail in Dallas '63), the White House physician...

What do you think about that Rising Against?
edit on 9/12/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: add nixon

edit on 9/13/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: fixes

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Newspaper reports later confirm the connection between Mary Jo Kopechne, the FBI and Richard Nixon.

Nixon sought dirt on Mary Jo Kopechne, files show
www.boston.com...

The October 17, 1969, memo, addressed to a top aide to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, said that John Dean, then assistant to Deputy Attorney General Richard Kleindienst, "stated that both the deputy attorney general and the attorney general [John Mitchell] are anxious to discreetly find out if Mary Jo Kopechne (deceased) had visited Greece in August 1968."

The FBI responded to Dean's request on Oct. 23, 1969, but the part of the memo that discusses Kopechne's travels is blacked out, leaving it a mystery whether she was in Greece or why the Nixon administration was interested in knowing it.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Didn't even see these posts from you until now.. just had a quick read and yeah, very interesting stuff! There's a lot of speculation surrounding the other cases - the RFK and the JFK case and as well as their being involvement from Lyndon B. Johnson.. Nixon always seems to be implicated also.

They're both as power hungry and as corrupt as each other in my personal opinion, no doubt about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nixon was involved in this case in some way or another like I suspect him to be involved in the JFK case.

It's also worth noting at this time (as I didn't highlight it in my OP) that Teddy almost died prior to the Chappaquiddick incident.. He was involved in a near fatal plane accident of all things in 1964, a mere year after JFK had died. It could be a coincidence but taking the theory about the brothers I brought up in the opening post, there very well could be something more sinister about it. Also not forgetting the amount of witnesses who died in odd circumstances in the few years following the JFK Assassination.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Bumped to post an interesting video on this incident:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Did Richard Nixon try to kill on Teddy Kennedyon that Apollo 11 weekend? Where was Tricky Dick on that night? Did Mary Jo get caught in the crossfire?
Bumping for awesome thread that needs more views.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join