It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.5 Colorado Earthquake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

So it's basically sitting right on top of it.....thinking the more distant station will help us out. More what we are used to reading regarding distance vs. registering, if you know what I mean.

Whatever the strength....there is a lot going on there!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Google Earth

There are a few volcanos but not close

closer view of the four quakes

Really interesting what you are seeing on GEE. Can you give us screenshots?

ETA
Look (It's from Dutch)

edit on 23-8-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Really interesting what you are seeing on GEE. Can you give us screenshots?

Here is the 5.3:

That's excellent you thought to check on local volcanoes! Star for joo!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
two 3.5+ just came in on USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Thank you TA

Two new ones

3.8 2011/08/23 07:17:58 37.099 -104.610 4.8 5 km ( 3 mi) S of Cokedale, CO
3.5 2011/08/23 06:56:59 37.110 -104.722 5.0 10 km ( 6 mi) WSW of Cokedale, CO

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
ok great, thanks wook and berk!

Now I have a rough amplitude reference since they posted those two- so we can tell much faster roughly what future ones are:

the 3.5 registered 120 microns/sec

the 3.8- 150 microns/sec

So adjust from there for upcoming ones.

and berk, here is a sample of the microswarm activity at the three station west and I were talking about:

edit on Tue Aug 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I hate to be the one to bring this up but this IS ATS.

Mining activity can mimic earthquake activity. This is relatively near Denver airport where they are supposed to have all the underground facilities.

Perhaps they are doing a little underground building?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

If you want to go REAL deep, it's also very very close to Dulce NM (much much closer than DIA is in relation). There are countless theories about an underground base being very close to this area. This story is complete with reptilians, aliens, the works! Since this IS ATS, I would say try doing a search on it, because there have been plenty of threads on it!

ETA: With that said, I'm going to bed. If I get awoken by a large EQ, I will come here first and report the experience.

edit on 23-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Mining activity can mimic earthquake activity. This is relatively near Denver airport where they are supposed to have all the underground facilities.

Mining blasts have very specific waveform signatures, much different than what you are seeing in the screen shot I posted. In addition, the USGS has already posted at least four of these quakes, and if anyone knows the difference, it would be them. It's good you're thinking that way though.

This is definitely a localized swarm. Even some of the smaller ones are registering on all three stations. Another small one just hit. 1-2 range. Something's stirring down there, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
so there was a 5.3 on MONDAY and a 5.5 on TUESDAY so far?

www.youtube.com...

, just wanting to confirm what i heard in the last hour from friend over there.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

The 5.5 on that video was later downgraded to a 5.3

This is the latest list
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 05:46:19 UTC
Monday, August 22, 2011 at 11:46:19 PM at epicenter

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
well i just watched the news in longmont co and was going to make a thread about 5.5 in colorado. its already here so i will add some info. they felt it all the wat in kansas, vary rare for that to happen.

found this talking about it

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I slept through that one. Live east of Colorado Springs so probably wouldn't have noticed if I had been awake! Felt the little shakers in the 60's when we lived in Denver.
Eldest son had just got home from kindergarten and was a real grouch. Told him to lay down on the couch and take a nap. But he didn't want to do that either. Whined and complained! A little 3.something hit and made the floor do the shimmy. He got on the couch and went to sleep. Had no problem at nap time for the rest of the year.
Later he told his little sis that she better take her nap or mom would shake the house again.
Lived west of Walsenburg for many years. Wish I was back there again. On the ranch and loving it. Oh well, such is life.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I'm roughly 80 miles north from the epicenter and did not feel or hear a thing last night. That might be normal for a ~5.3 magnitude quake. I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, so I know how various magnitude quakes feel and sound. At least in California.

Possibly related or not, my wife and I could not get to sleep until well after midnight (quake was at 11:46pm MDT) and our cat did not come to bed until ~11:30pm. She was at the window for 4 hours, staring out at nothing I could see. All of this is unusual in our experience, but eh. It' seems easy to me to read meaning into something after the fact. Still, 'tis interesting to consider.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here is an article from the Denver Post this morning

Sigala said there were several minor earthquakes that preceded the bigger one, including a magnitude 2.9 earthquake recorded about 8 a.m. Monday. A 4.6 quake was felt in the same area at 5:30 p.m., and a magnitude 3.0 quake was recorded about 9 p.m. There have been four aftershocks. Sigala said the area occasionally has swarms of earthquakes, some lasting days or weeks, but Monday's temblor was unusual. "A 5.3 is big for Colorado," she said.

www.denverpost.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Are you serious? This is well over 200 miles away from DIA.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
www.koaa.com...

"We have learned there is significant damage to homes and businesses in the Segundo and Valdez areas, off Highway 12."

:edit:

Pics and video of damage to roads and structures
edit on 23-8-2011 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT

Are you serious? This is well over 200 miles away from DIA.

Huh. The earthquake epicenter looks like it's about 100 miles away from Dulce, NM. If anyone wants to point at ATS-ish underground...uh, areas. Personally, I'm thinking earthquakes happen simply because it's the nature of our earth to have earthquakes now and again.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
www.trinidadco.com...

There is lots of shallow natural gas well drilling in the area where they recover excess water and return it to the subsurface.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I know it's Arkansas, but perhaps the same thing is happening in CO - fracking fluid is causing unnatural seismic activity.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

Could be all those old coal mines finally caving in. Just my two cents! Son and wife are in LaVeta maybe one of his inventions finally worked!!! Oh No, maybe I should call him.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join