It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.5 Colorado Earthquake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Anusuia

It's not abnormal.
neic.usgs.gov...

With all due respect phage, I think if you look again at the map you linked, and then this one you'll see a distinct difference.

The map I linked, IMO is an example of an earthquake prone area. Even then, that doesn't mean a 5.3 would be normal...depends.

Take another look at the historical map for the area in question in colorado. Not that much. Yes, they have quakes...but that is for over 20 yrs and NONE of them are big...looks like mainly micro quakes. I would say a quake of this size...especially so many in one day, historically speaking is NOT normal for the area.

Just today:

MAP 5.3 2011/08/23 05:46:19 37.118 -104.622 4.0 3 km ( 2 mi) S of Cokedale, CO
MAP 3.0 2011/08/23 02:48:52 37.056 -104.726 5.0 13 km ( 8 mi) SW of Cokedale, CO
MAP 4.6 2011/08/22 23:30:20 37.050 -104.774 5.0 17 km ( 11 mi) SW of Cokedale, CO
MAP 2.9 2011/08/22 13:52:34 37.094 -104.709 5.0 10 km ( 6 mi) SW of Cokedale, CO

Check out the depth. What kind of volcanic structures are around there??? Time to pull up some live seismos...
edit on 23-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Lots of responses

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I'm in the springs too. I happened to be laying on the couch; I don't think I would have noticed it if I had been standing or sitting since it didn't make any noise and was just a few seconds of rocking.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Sly1one

Lol, where are you guys at?? Pueblo, Colorado City, Walsenburg, Trinidad?

Pueblo my colo brotha...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

Wow, thanks for the feedback. I must not be very perceptive! I didnt feel anything.

Reply to Sky1one:

Just a hop skip and a jump away! Man, you guys are lucky, I need to stop slacking and pay more attention next time.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
For the record

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7baa261a4838.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks ominous to me.

We have been waiting for something big but whoda thunk Colorado?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It's a micro swarm going on, got it up in GEE, and another but smaller just hit looks like 2 ish or so- but there is constant microquakes happening...

Interesting. Will keep an eye...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Well, it figures. After tons of time contemplating and decision making, I finally just bought a new (well, new/used) car TONIGHT. It would be my luck that an earthquake would destroy it!

Although I've never been in a real earthquake, just some very minor ones in Cali when I was a kid. It would be interesting to know what it feels like to be in a sizable one.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

lol, trust me, I've been in one and it's no fun. A weird primal fear sets in, and for a minute or two you feel helpless, like a little girl who's in a carriage her mother let go of and it's rolling into a busy freeway.

Then it stops. *poof*
edit on Tue Aug 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Congrats on your new car

I have lived here in the Bay Area since 1983 and have felt small ones. The Loma Prieta in 1989 I missed, was in Denver. Was disappointed that I missed that one, it would have been the biggest I have felt. I have never been scared, just excited with the ones I have felt. But I figure that when the big one hits me I will need a fresh pair of undies

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Sounds terrible. Where was that quake located? Where were you when it hit? I would hope to dear God I wasn't under a bridge or something.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Well actually I've been in two, the bigger in Costa Rica, the other in the DR.

I literally watched the ground behave like the ocean when those S-waves came in. You SEE them coming across a field but they are on you so fast you are shaking before what you saw registers in your brain. They move at roughly 4 Km per second, so yeah, it's fast as ....

And more on topic:

Still watching GEE and the microactivity continues non stop- real small quakes back to back- and then a bigger one occasionally.

link   
Woah!!! TA, ya watching TA.T25A???

Another large quake just hit a few minutes ago, and it is ROCKING with small ones.

Anyone local feel that one?

link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

How Ironic that you were in Colorado when that one hit. Now we are talking about one hitting in Colorado! Maybe you'll be in the Bay area when the big Colorado quake hits.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Anyone else notice the recent quake surge in the vicinity of the 37th parallel globally? Just an observation.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Where is that geographically speaking (in terms of Colorado locations)? I didn't feel anything, but then again I've already proven I'm not very good at this.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Yes ma'am, that is the station. I am tri monitoring and confirming with TA.S22A and US.SDCO in addition to the closer TA.T25A

Also, it looks like 120 microns/sec at T25A may be less than 2.5 that close to epicenter. And I say 2.5 because that is cutoff on the USGS main link.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I've got SDCO up too. Another one just now. Those look to be around 4-5 mags too, don't ya think? The micro activity in between is quite impressive. At that depth, are you thinking volcanic? I am...except for it's a bit large. Interesting.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

See note above I added. I don't think those we've just seen are much over 2.5 if that, cause USGS hasn't reported the last several of them yet.

When you see 600 or more, that's going to start getting up there. Don't have a GEE reference on the 5.3 yet, might dig it up in GEE here in a minute.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Jesus, just dug up the 5.3 and it registers a whopping 9 mm/sec!

Yeah, that station is way close to this thing, and it's going to throw us off bigtime.

So WAY reduce magnitude guesses.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join