It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Drinks - What's really in them????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Lately I've gotten hooked on these energy drinks you can buy just about anywhere - Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, SOBE, etc.

Red Bull appears to pretty much only have caffeine and taurine. Other drinks, however, contain a variety of other ingredients, such as Guarana (I know this is just more caffeine), Carnitine, Inositol, Eleutherococcus Senticosus, Glucose, Glucosamine...does anyone know what these things do?

The government could be feeding us anything............

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I tell you what they have, beside caffeine they are full of sugar and that is how you get a rush.

As soon the rush is over you feel worst than before you took it, plus your sugar leves are not in a very healthy way.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Look into Guarana for a start. Its a coffee substitute that makes its way into many of those type of drinks. Also have a look for "Smart Drugs" like Ginseng, Fo-Ti, Gingko Biloba and the list goes on. With Google on your side im sure there is much you can learn.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by Linux]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brian0U812
Lately I've gotten hooked on these energy drinks you can buy just about anywhere - Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, SOBE, etc.

Red Bull appears to pretty much only have caffeine and taurine. Other drinks, however, contain a variety of other ingredients, such as Guarana (I know this is just more caffeine), Carnitine, Inositol, Eleutherococcus Senticosus, Glucose, Glucosamine...does anyone know what these things do?

The government could be feeding us anything............

there is no government conspiracy. The Government does not have strict regulations yet on Dietary supplements. their lastest ban of ephedra was just a start.

Inositol is part of the vitamin B-complex. It is required for proper formation of cell membranes.

Inositol affects nerve transmission and helps in transporting fats within the body. Inositol differs from inositol hexaniacinate, a form of vitamin B3.

Carnitine (L-Carnitine) is a Non-structural amino acid that transports fatty acids into muscle cells for use as energy fuel. Carnitine is water-soluble and can be made in the body from the amino acids lysine and methionine with the assistance of vitamins C, B6 and Niacin, which act as coenzymes in the process. L-Carnitine is a derivative of the amino acid, lysine. Its name is derived from the fact that it was first isolated from meat (carnus) in 1905. Because L-carnitine appeared to act as a vitamin in the mealworm (Tenebrio molitor), it was called vitamin BT. Vitamin BT turned out to be a misnomer when scientists discovered that humans and other higher organisms synthesize L-carnitine. Under certain conditions, the demand for L-carnitine may exceed an individual's capacity to synthesize it, making it a conditionally essential nutrient (1).

FUNCTION

L-Carnitine is synthesized primarily in the liver and also in the kidneys, and must be transported to other tissues. It is most concentrated in tissues that use fatty acids as their primary dietary fuel, such as skeletal and cardiac (heart) muscle. In this regard, L-carnitine plays an important role in energy production by chaperoning activated fatty acids (acyl-CoA) into the mitochondrial matrix for metabolism and chaperoning intermediate compounds out of the mitochondrial matrix to prevent their accumulation.

Eleutherococcus senticosus is also more commonly known as Siberian Ginseng. Siberian ginseng contains remarkable compounds that favorably affect the adrenal glands, the small glands that rest atop the kidneys and secrete stress-fighting hormones. Taking the herb is believed to boost the body's capacity to handle physical stresses ranging from heat exposure to extreme exertion. Resistance to disease increases as well. So does one's overall energy level.

glucose is a simple sugar made by the body from carbohydrates in food. Their ingredient is probably dextrose.

Glucosamine is an Anatural substance that provides the building blocks needed for the body to repair and make cartilage. This supplement is believed to ease osteoarthritis pain and stiffness and to have no known serious side effects

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brian0U812
Energy Drinks - What's really in them????

Liquid crack!!

I can have one red bull and feel nothing, but if I have 2 or 3 I go friggin nuts.....and if you mix it with alcohol?!?
:

[edit on 8/20/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In moderation these drinks are ok but i wouldnt drink more than one can a day unless you are going out on the weekend blitz since they can contribute to headaches and mess up with your sleeping pattern and meatbolism.

Also stay away from the cheapo red bull copy products as they can contain 5x the torine and caffien.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I can't drink anything like that now.
I can't have any caffeine at all without feeling really, really, really ill and crappy.
If I have just 1 can of Red-bull I have a worse 'hangover' then if a spend the night drinking wine and whiskey..... Which I do.... Every night.... Ahem.....

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, enrage. Just for the record - I didn't really think there was a government conspiracy about energy drinks. I just thought that line might elicit a few more responses

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Has anyone tried the Propel fitness water. Here are the specs.

# Size: 24 - 16.9 fl oz (500 ml) bottles
# Serving Size 8 fl oz
# Servings Per Container 2
# Calories 10
# Total Fat 0 g
# Sodium 35 mg
# Total Carbohydrate 3 g
# Sugars 2 g
# Protein 0 g

GATORADE - PROPEL Sport Water 16.9OZ 24/CS
GATORADE Propel Fitness Water, created by the makers of Gatorade, hydrates and nourishes your active body with a splash of fruit flavor and essential vitamins.

Vitamin Enhanced Water Beverage. Natural black cherry flavor with other natural flavors. No fruit juice. Propel Fitness Water, created by the makers of Gatorade, hydrates and nourishes your active body with a splash of fruit flavor and essential Vitamins. It contains antioxidant Vitamins C and E, along with B Vitamins which aid in Energy metabolism as part of a daily diet. No caffeine.

GATORADE - PROPEL Sport Water Ingredients: Water, Sucrose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Black Cherry Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Sucralose, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protects Freshness), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin B12.

~~~

I have been addicted to this stuff lately.. I enjoy the fact that it gives me a boost without the caffiene. Plus it has like 90 less calories than pepsi. I have literally burned out on caffiene and now I am taking a break. However, I believe that too much B6 can be toxic.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DreamReality
Has anyone tried the Propel fitness water. Here are the specs.

# Size: 24 - 16.9 fl oz (500 ml) bottles
# Serving Size 8 fl oz
# Servings Per Container 2
# Calories 10
# Total Fat 0 g
# Sodium 35 mg
# Total Carbohydrate 3 g
# Sugars 2 g
# Protein 0 g

GATORADE Propel Fitness Water, created by the makers of Gatorade, hydrates and nourishes your active body with a splash of fruit flavor and essential vitamins.

Vitamin Enhanced Water Beverage. Natural black cherry flavor with other natural flavors. No fruit juice. Propel Fitness Water, created by the makers of Gatorade, hydrates and nourishes your active body with a splash of fruit flavor and essential Vitamins. It contains antioxidant Vitamins C and E, along with B Vitamins which aid in Energy metabolism as part of a daily diet. No caffeine.

GATORADE - PROPEL Sport Water Ingredients: Water, Sucrose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Black Cherry Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Sucralose, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protects Freshness), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin B12.

~~~

I have been addicted to this stuff lately.. I enjoy the fact that it gives me a boost without the caffiene. Plus it has like 90 less calories than pepsi. I have literally burned out on caffiene and now I am taking a break. However, I believe that too much B6 can be toxic.

my little sister drinks those all the time. she's in alot of sports so i can see how they would be useful for someone.

but its just better to drink plain ol' filtered water.
at least 1 gallon a day

SMR

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Whatever happened to water?
How come people dont just drink more water?
Water has all you need other than taste.
I have drank a few of these things and all I can say is,,,remember JOLT COLA!
All these things do is get you amped up and come down hard due to the sugar.
Adding all these other things just makes people think they are getting something more in order to make them perform better.

Im no health nut,I eat junk all the time,but I know it is just that,junk!
A fancy can with fancy ingredients dont fool me.

new topics

top topics

join