It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon And Jupiter 2011-08-22

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well i did found a open spot in the cloudy sky ;0) this is also the last one for this month for me.
Moon and Jupiter 2011-08-22 Equipment; Celestron Nexstar 8" and several eyepieces 40mm to 8mm.
Date 2011- 08- 22 Time 02 : 45 humidity 70%

Enjoy it, and don't forget to put in on 1080p

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bosb33r

Beautiful. I love the detail you could see in Pitatus! What sort of camera did you use? Thank you for sharing!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bosb33r

Thanks for sharing these beautiful images!

Arghhh, I can't see Jupiter very well through my telescope, because my 3x eye piece is warped.

edit on 22-8-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
wow!

Grats on the video mate! Very well done!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Epic, i love it.

I've been bugging my wife for a telescope for awhile now. So many options and so expensive for a noob that just wants to start at the sky

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Very, Very cool.

Good work mate!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Out of curiosity, I saw a Celestron ad this morning actually in a science magazine I recieve. I would really love one of their telescopes and microscopes, what do you think of yours; and could you tell me if its worth buying one?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I received a celestron astro master 130 for christmas and i fricken love it! It is my first telescope and i really had no knowledge of them before hand. Its really easy to use, not so big, and has tons of power still for its size. My only wish is that it had the gps capabilities to search for harder to find things in the sky automatically. I can see Jupiter with about 4 moons and the rings of saturn, so i guess its a pretty decent one.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Bos what do you use to connect you camera to the telescope?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I still remember the first time I used my telescope (the exact same as yours) to look at Jupiter. I was blown away that I could actually see it and several of its moons. I can see the moon very close up with some of the new lenses I've got and I'm thinking about getting some of the larger lenses so I don't have to squint as much to see them. I got the T-mount and other things needed to connect my Nikon D5000 but haven't had a good night to test it out, but you've inspired me to try this week. I know other people asked but what equip were you using? I've tried with my point and shoot and got some pretty decent shots but it was hard to line up and the quality varied greatly.

Great post!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You rekindled my telescope-wanting fire! A few years ago I bought a cheap one for like $100, and it was pretty good for looking at the moon, and I was even able to see the crescent shape of Venus, which took extreme patience on my part to finally find it in the eye piece without the planet orbiting out of the field of view first (like I said, a cheap telescope!). But to be able to see Jupiter and even other galaxies right in your own backyard... that must be so awesome. To me, it almost gives you a sense of "I could just about reach out and touch it", but then you kind of have to realize that what you are viewing so up close is actually millions or billions of miles away. Thanks for the video. I enjoyed watching it.

Now I am seriously going to go look at telescopes online to see what I can find.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Nice, I am planning to do white light photosphere solar work once i get my refractor and Baader wedge (only the best for solar lol).

Dream setup, H-A and C-K Lunts or comparable 60 or 90s parallel and a white light refractor on a dedicated solar mount.

I was checking out the PST's for solar, but they look a waste of money unless its to modify a refractor.

What Neutral Density filters did you use?
What Barlow did you use?

Reason I was going to go solar primarely is because I get so much cloud cover in summer lol, Winter I plan to get snapshots of the milky way and planets and so on with winter clear nights.

edit on 22-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Epic, i love it.

I've been bugging my wife for a telescope for awhile now. So many options and so expensive for a noob that just wants to start at the sky

Get a simple refractor acho not an apo then add a filter to remove the chromatic aberation (Baader Fringe Killer).

Skywatcher are used a lot (EvoStar's on EQ5 mounts) are about 400 to 500 Euros for a 120mm aperture 1000mm focal length. I would go for the EQ5 mount over the EQ3-2 package, its only 30 Euros more, its usually packaaged as the OTA (Optical tube assembly) then the mount selected. the prepackage ones are labled as EQ3-2 but their load capacity isnt high. The EQ5s can take 9kg. My giant binos 25x100 weight 5kg almost, a long tube refractor weights perhaps 3kg.

The expensive ones use ED or flo lenses in doublets or triplets especially.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kreeger
Bos what do you use to connect you camera to the telescope?

T-adaptor on the scope, T-mount on the camera.

There is 2 types, T and T2.

Or get a cheap webcam modify it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by molonlabe
I received a celestron astro master 130 for christmas and i fricken love it! It is my first telescope and i really had no knowledge of them before hand. Its really easy to use, not so big, and has tons of power still for its size. My only wish is that it had the gps capabilities to search for harder to find things in the sky automatically. I can see Jupiter with about 4 moons and the rings of saturn, so i guess its a pretty decent one.

Why is it hard to find anything?

Don't you have an Equitorial mount? You can upgrade it to add a GOTO or you could add a USB motor drive unit and have software drive it without the "goto" handheld catalogue rip off device.

You can get a polar scope to fit to the mount to align it easier.

Use Stellerium.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I have a nice HD camcorder but has no threads on the lens
I hate to use Afocal lol

Good thing webcams and DSLR's have video, i dono if my DSLR does live view over USB for video though, have to check lol.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow ! very nice pictures. I support you to continue to share this

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Totally captivating. I love these videos!
Thanks for taking the time to post them

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Schweet pics OP.

I too have a Celestron Nexstar 8", but even with my barlow and 25mm eyepiece, I can't get that clear of an image of Jupiter in comparison to what you've got. I live in the country, so light pollution isn't an issue for me either.

So what the hell am I doing wrong ?

Maybe it's time to invest in a 40mm eyepiece ?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
40mm eyepiece gives 50x mag? On ze moon?
8mm eyepiece gives 254x mag? Used for jupiter?

For those new to astronomy its Focal Length / Eyepiece for the magnification.

That SCT scope has a focal length of 2032mm I think.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join