It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon And Jupiter 2011-08-22

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Schweet pics OP.

I too have a Celestron Nexstar 8", but even with my barlow and 25mm eyepiece, I can't get that clear of an image of Jupiter in comparison to what you've got. I live in the country, so light pollution isn't an issue for me either.

So what the hell am I doing wrong ?

Maybe it's time to invest in a 40mm eyepiece ?

Could be the quality of glass? The diagonal? The barlow itself?

edit on 22-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bosb33r

Nice, I was out last night too because it was really clear. My telescope is crappy and I want to get a better one, but even with what minimal zoom I have I could still make ouf 4 of Jupiters moons as well as the two orange bands on the planet.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Schweet pics OP.

I too have a Celestron Nexstar 8", but even with my barlow and 25mm eyepiece, I can't get that clear of an image of Jupiter in comparison to what you've got. I live in the country, so light pollution isn't an issue for me either.

Well, with my 12.5mm eyepiece I can't even get a proper focus on Jupiter... with or without the barlow. So I always fall back to my trusty 25mm. Jupiter comes in fairly clear, but the view is pretty damn small.

I'm wondering if the OP went down to a 40mm with multiple barlows to get the clearer larger focus ?

Or is he just using a straight 8mm with maybe a colour filter ?

The only eyepieces I have are: 12.5mm, 25mm, 32mm, and one barlow.

So perhaps I need to invest in more ranges and another barlow ?

Just wondering if the OP has a magic concoction of eyepieces on the go...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Schweet pics OP.

Well, with my 12.5mm eyepiece I can't even get a proper focus on Jupiter... with or without the barlow. So I always fall back to my trusty 25mm. Jupiter comes in fairly clear, but the view is pretty damn small.

I'm wondering if the OP went down to a 40mm with multiple barlows to get the clearer larger focus ?

Collimation? Focuser? Glass quality? is all I can think off.

The OP doesn't mention barlows, just the 8mm which is 256x ish magnification and the 40 which is 50x mag.

480X is the max useful mag of the scope, im assuming you are using kit eyepieces.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've been thinking of starting a new sky gazing hobby... but reading all these replies makes me realize I have a looonnngggg way to go before I understand any of it.
I can't even go out and buy a telescope yet because it's just not that easy. Luckily the Discovery Planet near my house has a "try before you buy" with people who work at the University to help choose.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I saw it on the 20th. I live in Northwest U.S and I saw this extremely bright star to the right of the moon. Had to get my google sky app for my phone to confirm that it was Jupiter. I have never seen it so close before. It was truly a sight to see.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Schweet pics OP.

Collimation? Focuser? Glass quality? is all I can think off.

The OP doesn't mention barlows, just the 8mm which is 256x ish magnification and the 40 which is 50x mag.

480X is the max useful mag of the scope, im assuming you are using kit eyepieces.

Ooh... I'm not brave enough to start horsing around with the collimation... but I never thought of that one.

You might be onto something. It might be worth my while to look up how to collimate a schmidt cassegrain if all else fails.

But I definately don't think it's my focuser because I have no problem getting crystal clear images of the messier objects et al.

I'm more familiar with deep sky observing than I am of the solar system, so I thought maybe there was a little trick to getting good focus on a planet like Jupiter.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bosb33r

Wow... hard to believe Jupiter is a "Gas Giant" because it appears so... solid! How does it stay soooo round? Doesn't it seem like something made of gas would not have such well-defined looking 'edges' ?

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
You rekindled my telescope-wanting fire! A few years ago I bought a cheap one for like $100, and it was pretty good for looking at the moon, and I was even able to see the crescent shape of Venus, which took extreme patience on my part to finally find it in the eye piece without the planet orbiting out of the field of view first (like I said, a cheap telescope!). But to be able to see Jupiter and even other galaxies right in your own backyard... that must be so awesome. To me, it almost gives you a sense of "I could just about reach out and touch it", but then you kind of have to realize that what you are viewing so up close is actually millions or billions of miles away. Thanks for the video. I enjoyed watching it.

Now I am seriously going to go look at telescopes online to see what I can find.

I agree!!

Same here....I gotta go ahead and buy a telescope.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Great post, I wish there were more like this.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Excellent!!

Thank You!!
Now if I could only get my spaceship jump started
to get up there for a visit.... where's that energizer
rabbit when you need him...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Thanks all for the great comments

I will post reply to you all in one single message, ATS will not like it if i reply on every single of you i think?

@ DJW001 you are welcome!

This Movie was been made with a sony pocket camera type HX5V

@ phishyblankwaters & NerdGoddes, in a topics before, i showed to someone a good telescope for EUR 225
www.abovetopsecret.com...
But how bigger the telescope how better the view
there are also secondhand telescope's to buy like a Celestron C8 ( 8" ) for 400 Euro.

@ Kreeger, There is a special adapter for it ( Digiscope Adapter ) This type is the best. Just google it on image Digiscope adaper.

@ atzmaz, I am looking forward to see your images, i wish i had a camera like that, perhaps somewhere in the future
you can take fantastic good Deep sky images

@ JennaDarling, No filters are used on this video, did use a 2x Barlow 2"

@ CranialSponge,you are doing nothing wrong, its just you are using a 25mm eyepiece.
I did use a 8mm eyepiece and 2x barlow for that
and a 40mm make it a lot smaller instead of your 25mm!

@ CranialSponge, these are huge eyepieces, not like the normal eyepieces.

And again thanks for all the nice comments
if you need more help for buying etc..you can always ask me, i am here to help.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Excellent video!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I noticed an object in one of the craters around 1:30 left center top, which looks like a massive antenna or something. You can see the shadow it casts on the left crater wall. Is this some sort of optical illusion ? And if not, how could such a tall structure remain in the center of an impact crater ?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bosb33r

Ive recently been getting into astronomy more....I have a real nice set of binos that i can look at the sun moon and most basic things but id like to get a good scope and do astrophotography and/or video....really impressive...makes me want to go out and blow some money haha

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
I noticed an object in one of the craters around 1:30 left center top, which looks like a massive antenna or something. You can see the shadow it casts on the left crater wall. Is this some sort of optical illusion ? And if not, how could such a tall structure remain in the center of an impact crater ?

I saw that too and was thinking the same thing.....a couple of the craters looked like there was stuff in the center of em. Weird indeed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by Bosb33r

Ive recently been getting into astronomy more....I have a real nice set of binos that i can look at the sun moon and most basic things but id like to get a good scope and do astrophotography and/or video....really impressive...makes me want to go out and blow some money haha

Herschel wedges on binos? Thats expensive

I really don't like the thought of using solar film lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Bosb33r

its just some lenses you can put over the binos....was about 100 bucks...but well worth it...i enjoy watching the sun...id have to look up what brand they were

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Bosb33r

its just some lenses you can put over the binos....was about 100 bucks...but well worth it...i enjoy watching the sun...id have to look up what brand they were

Probably Baader

I have a refractor I plan to use for solar white light work.

I am saving for wedge for photographic and visual, I would rather buy the best and safest for solar lol.

Better for me and my equipment (cameras)

Also higher contrasting apparently.

edit on 23-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join