It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90% of Global Warming is due to Blacktop's and rooftop's.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I can only agree that there is a solar warming cycle happening right now. You can't have an Ice Age without a Hot Age in my belief.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by underspace

I was not trying to make your post worthless and was not trying to derail it, i was trying to show that there are 2 sides to an argument. imho this all stinks of the usual "problem , reaction , solution" that we are all becoming more accustomed to, It is a way to divert alot of peoples attention so that they are not concentrating on what is going on around them everyday. Speaks for itself.

Also, it has now turned into a huge business worth billions, enough said.

edit on 20-8-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I read something about proof of radiant heat from blacktops. Anyone who cooks meat should have a meat thermometer. Today's meat thermometer starts at 90 degrees. The best way to go is with a Digital Thermometer.

Take your thermometer at 11:00AM, no matter where you are. Record the temp at the point in day. Ten hour's later at 12:00AM take the temp of a blacktop again. You will still be + 20 or +40 degrees of the surrounding air temp.

edit on 20-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tsurugi
I think the idea here is that black surfaces absorb the sun's rays, and return it slowly, in the infrared wavelength--heat. White, or other light colored surfaces, reflect the sun's rays without changing their wavelengths much, thus bouncing them back out into space.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. So when it returns slowly it becomes infrared spectrum, or is the infrared specifically because it's blackish surface?

Very likely it takes a catastrophic event of some kind(some kind of massive meteoric impact) to jar the planet loose from the Ice Age again.

Quite interesting. To think cyclically, which no doubt the Earth is, I wonder if it's a chain of super-volcanic eruptions or the basalt floods that would jar the planet loose?
edit on 20-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Oh yeah I forgot to add everything about rooftops.

What are shingles made of? Asphalt and sand.

Asphalt is black.

Anyone with a Black Shingled Roof can tell you they spend %20 more money during the summer to cool their house then in the winter to warm it.

Ever wonder why you have icicles 5FT long coming from your gutters and off the side of your house during the winter after a sunny day?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

I was not trying to make your post worthless and was not trying to derail it,

You seemed to say so

i was trying to show that there are 2 sides to an argument.

I know. That's what I meant when I said 'regardless of whether GW Climate Change was real. I was acknowledging both sides. I was asking about your stance on co-factors and the OPs idea of coloring surfaces. That's all. I did read your links too
FYI I do not hold a position here. I do believe in co-factors tho...I think ignoring industrial contributions to greenhouse gas is silly...however small...it's still a factor.

Also, it has now turned into a huge business worth billions, enough said

The pharmaceutical industry makes a killing (pun) but that doesn't mean people are not dying of illness. The two are not mutually exclusive. This logic can be extended to the 'green movement', etc.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
"durrrr it's the sun we can do anything we want to the planet and everything will be fine durrrrrr"

Enough said about that brain-dead position.

As for blacktop, OP, you have zero evidence of your little 90% statistic, so you lose all credibility there. Yes, black surfaces will contribute to the heating. They already know about this from ice-sheet feedback loops. And painting roofs white is already a known idea for combating global warming. The real conundrum is trying to use unavoidably black solar panels to reduce greenhouse gases, while simultaneously generating heat from the black surfaces.

I've kinda stopped worrying about global warming, as I believe our civilization is more or less doomed before even the 100 years is up in terms of the worst GW consequences. Due solely to the infinitely corrupt nature of those in power. Enjoy your last gasps of freedom and liberty, they'll be gone soon.
edit on 20-8-2011 by Observer99 because: edit

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

No problem, my bad, i just see the whole thing as a distraction and a scam, oh and now aliens are possibly going to attack us because of our greenhouse gasses, seriously, you couldnt make this stuff up!.

At least we know where all the drugs they confiscate are going lol.

You can see it coming out everyday in policy.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I'm sorry all.

I am sorry I did not spend a week with someone else to take photos of myself, taking measurements on the temperatures of blacktops with a meat thermometer. I am sorry to everyone else who can't bring it to themselves, to do as I did, themselves.

edit on 20-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: added a comma where it did not belong.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

You remind me of George Carlin.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
I'm sorry all.

I am sorry I did not spend a week with someone else to take photos of myself, taking measurements on the temperatures of blacktops with a meat thermometer. I am sorry to everyone else who can't bring it to themselves, to do as I did, themselves.

edit on 20-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: added a comma where it did not belong.

Hmm. I understand

I am also sorry you didn't care to respond to any of the questions I asked you. I meant them in good spirit...

Much drama heh

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

While I agree this is definitely valid and very handy from a energy & efficiency standpoint, I thought NASA just recently put the whole global warming issue more or less to rest anyway?

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism - 7/27/11

NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth's atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.

Regardless of any actual warming impact, the post mentioning painting the roof of your house white doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'll definitely agree all of these can act as heat islands that can cause a range of issues.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I dont see how you can put any statistic numbers on it but a large part of our earth heating up is due to black streets and roof tops. But most of all its the sun. Co2 has been proven time and time again to not cause any change of heat. As the heat rises Co2 fallows. ITS NOT as Co2 rises heat rises. I am not saying we should be driving something else. Gas is horrible, we are still using the same type of energy we did when we made cars. People talk about Co2 but what about the engine it self. Millions of cars are piled into city's around the world, all of witch have engines that put off a massive amount of heat. I would think that all those Billions of cars with hot engines and all metal is causing just as much heat as the black tops are.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I'm sorry all.

I still do not think that any one has the knowledge to say %90 of our heat comes from black tops when their are millions of other heat sources on this earth.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
There are enough paved blacktops to stretch from Earth to Mars and back again. How can all that blackness not trap heat? Do you think we would go into a ice age if we painted every black top white?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I did not make this post as a scientific study, hell I bet I would be the first to do so. It was a random thought I had earlier yesterday morning when I was burning the skin off the bottom of my feet in my driveway on the way to get the daily mail. As for the 90%, that is something I made up, but I made it up with due aspects like driving down the road, every house around me has a black roof, every house in other towns I've been too has a black roof. I have not seen one white roof in my entire 28 years of life.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
rooftops should be green. mother knows best. green is a great moderate color that won't get too cold or hot, and blends in nicely with the trees

but I imagine the sum total of all blacktop and rooftops has to be a minuscule sliver. heck the surface is 2/3 water, and most of the planet is undeveloped. I'd put it at maybe 1/10 of 1% of the surface

what I want to see on rooftops is solar panels and wind turbines !!!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Seriously?

So then when we all have to live in tents to stop this, will tents be blamed for causing it again? Where do we go from there? Sleeping under the stars with no overhead protection? Will that be then blamed too? Can't go underground or in caves because then rocks and caves will also be blamed as contributors.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

On a hard minus twenty degree winter day the blacktop's around my house hold a temperature of 54 degrees. On a Hot 90 Degree day during the Summer my black paved driveway holds a temperature of 110 well after midnight.

90% of of global warming is due to radiant heat. %7 is due to CO2 emissions from cars and factory's. Our atmosphere traps no more then 3% of the Sun's heat that encases the Earth.

Painting the street's and rooftops green or white means global warming = solved.

Is this you OP?

Think about it, do paved driveways and rooftops make up 90% of the earths surface? Get Real

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You say 90 percent of global warming is due to radiant heat, but your thread title says 90 percent of global warming is due to blacktop's and rooftops, so are you saying black tops and rooftops are the only source of radiant heat? What about rocks and earth and metal and oceans?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join