It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 2011 Events

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ancient Gregorians end of the world prediction on the way...
I have been looking over my calendar and noticed that my current Gregorian Calendar ends on December 31st of this year.
Why would the medieval papists have made December 31st 2011 as the end of the Calendar year? I thus believe that the world will end on December 31st 2011 as my calendar predicts.
Okay, I'm joking, and it makes me laugh because I keep imaging a conversation between a Maya leader and the carver/scientist who carved the calendar that seems to have everyone so bothered.
Here's how I imagine it.
Scientist: I have finished the calendar...
Mayan leader: Very nice... I see you have looked ahead very far into the future.
Scientist: yep a few thousand solar revolutions, pretty cool eh?
Mayan leader: Yes indeed, can you predict further...
Scientist: well sure, no big deal, but if you want to make a longer calendar you're gonna have to get me a bigger round rock, and forgive me for being presumptuous but who wants to lug an ever bigger rock in here? Not me.
Mayan leader: Yeah I see your point, well let;s just leave it this way, heck, it's not like our great great great great grandkids will be using this to tell time right... (they both laugh).
Scientist: Gods I hope not....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

Ha, very similar to a GIF I saw somewhere, probably fail blog. :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44fed2cb11fe.jpeg[/atsimg]

edit on 18-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

That's it exactly... wish I could draw..

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

This is exactly how I see it. It's logical and makes sense in my world....not so in others. Alot of times when I talk to people about this I am rebutted with why they had made a calendar so long and not something a bit less over the top as thousands of years. This got me thinking of cornerstones. We mark them with the year, we show our landmarks as a status symbol and make sure that they live on through history.
Cornerstones have been around since great structures were being made, and if you expected your great wonder of the world (a temple or heavenly portal to the gods) to last a long time and wanted to show when it was built well you need a calendar system and one that ended at 52 years with no continuation (before the long calendar) it would be a meaningless date. Thats my non conspiracy theory with just some small things ive read online. Could be wrong but its logical in my world.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

That's it exactly... wish I could draw.

Don't wish, just try. You can learn talent, but you can learn skills. If you can visualize it in your head, with practice, you can probably draw it fairly well if you are patient.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Why Phishy, I must say that's the most inspiring thing anyone (other than my wife) has said to me in a while. Thanks for making my day.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
too funny. Thanks , i needed a good laugh. A friend of mine just returned from central america, and while there he spoke to many people about the 2012 thingy. He told me that they believed, as far as he could tell, that the eartth was making a transition from the underworld to the overworld.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
maybe we just need to build a baseball field and the end will come

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

I would be laughing too if someone could give me a credible explanation for why the Mayan's selected a start date for their Long Calendar (calendar used for recording historical events) that is more than 1,000 years older than the accepted start date of their civilization?

Thank you and best regards,
Z
edit on 8/19/2011 by DrZrD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD
reply to post by kenochs

I would be laughing too if someone could give me a credible explanation for why the Mayan's selected a start date for their Long Calendar (calendar used for recording historical events) that is more than 1,000 years older than the accepted start date of their civilization?

Thank you and best regards,
Z
edit on 8/19/2011 by DrZrD because: (no reason given)

Here's some info I found:

For the ancient Maya, the 13th bak'tun ended at the beginning of the world's fourth creation, or era. The Popol Vuh describes the three previous creations and the fates of their inhabitants, but does not provide dates. The Aztecs had a very similar concept and explained it to the Spanish in some detail. To the Aztecs, they were living in the 5th world era, not the 4th. Mark Van Stone (personal communication 2008) hypothesizes that the Aztecs may have counted the collapse of Classic Maya civilization in the 9th century to have been the end of the 4th creation.

Pretty detailed stuff and analysis of the creation dates along with significant births and where they found the inscriptions at this site: Mayan Long Count

If you read some of that info it suggests that the calendar could be extended further in the future or past, im assuming to fit mythological/religious ideas of the time.
edit on 19-8-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join