It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CORRECT USAGE OF "YOU'RE" AND "YOUR"...... PLEASE READ IF NECESSARY!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Personally I can appreciate your attempt to help people out. I don't understand why your grammar is being attacked. A small mistake here and there is not the issue at all.

Say we have two people A and B. Person A speaks and writes perfectly all the time and person B makes the kind of mistakes discussed in previous posts. Person B Will always be able to understand person B as person A uses the "fundamentals" of our language. Person A on the other hand won't comprehend person B's language. They will read it for what it really is (instinctually) and it won't make any sense to them. The interpretation is literally an extra step for person A.

So while person B is doing less work by choice(no spell checking, grammar checking, punctuation etc.) Person A has to do more work. Person A will have to "decode" Person B's writing.

In this day and age why do we have to decipher our own language just to understand it. Better yet, what chance do future historians have of understanding us if we can't even agree on our own language?

Blaming it all on foreign people is a weak argument. This is about lazy english speaking people not foreign people.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Amen, being a writer myself I cannot understand Text speak and I am a teenager. I try to understand everyone, really I do but it would help if some of these good folks used sentence structure.

I couldn't agree more my friend.... star.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
You do realize there are people from ALL over the world and all walks of life on here right?

I am a huge grammar Nazi (or so my friends call me that) but I had to learn to let the errors on here go. Not everyone on here is going to use proper English and not everyone is going to spell right. Is it really that big of a deal?

I can still read a thread with bad grammar and spelling...it also doesn't mean the OP is stupid. I know some really smart people who can't spell to save their life. Does that mean they are stupid? No, just means they can't spell.

Hello mate.. and thanks for taking the time to reply....

You are correct... but I am sure people that do not have an excellent grasp of English would be happy to learn the correct usage no? Im my experience people are always looking for help in improving language....

I certainly didn't say that people are stupid for not knowing.... but to constantly make the same mistake when you're not really sure, and to not want to correct this, is lazy... that is what I was ranting against....

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Is their really a reason to let people know there butchering the english language in they're posts?? LOL

Example of another pet peeve.

Nice work.... we iron the clothes of the ignorant with an iron of irony....

PA.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

I think you're rant was very well written . Oh and while your in a ranting mood . How about a rant regarding the use off "off" & "of" , because i'm sick and tired off seeing these used in the wrong context.

Cheers and good luck in you're crusade

Please feel free to add to the thread and insert a section regarding off and of....

I'm sure it would help....

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake
Your absolutely right! Stuff like this gets on you're nerves a lot, does it?
I'll bet this exa.ctly the kind of thing that fueled the riots in London.

Nope, bad parenting, bad schooling and lack of social responsibility caused the London riots..... but that's for another thread I'm sure has already been created.....

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

I find it annoying but I don't judge people because of it.

And neither do I my friend... I judge people by of what they believe in, how they look and what colour their skin is.... it's far more accurate....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
*RANT*

Ok.... I am an ardent admirer of the English language, with all it's ideosyncrasies and subtle rules... and I cannot stand lazyness when it comes to grammar and language...... I am sure you can guess my opinions on "text speak" and how it will eventually, in my opinion, destroy and dilute this beautiful language we have created, developed and refined. I know I cannot halt this forever advancing tide of wanton destruction, but I can try to make a small difference....during my travels within ATS I have noticed that many members constantly get this simple rule of grammar incorrect...!!

Now, we are supposed to be the educated few, the few that are truly capable of looking outside the box, the few that will start the revolution! Let's make sure we can do it effectively, coherently and withougt ridicule by writing articulately and correctly....

You know who you are... and I ask just this... please read the article below... it will teach you the correct usage, (which is really quite simple), and will forever protect you from the obviously deserved ridicule you endure on a daily basis... (Whether you know about it or not)... please don't be lazy with language.... it is simultaneously a devastating weapon and a wonderful tool of expression and communication.....

PerfectAnomoly

How to Use You're and Your

Article Edit Discuss History Wrong! - (In more ways than one!)A frighteningly large percentage of individuals fail to understand how to use the words "you're" and "your." Here is a quick and dirty crash course on this common usage problem.

Edit Steps1Understand the proper usage of the word you need. The best way to do that is to sound it out. There is a replacement test that will tell you for certain which word will fit. Read the sentence with "you are" in place of where the "your/you're" is intended. If it makes sense, then "you're" would be right. If not, then "your" would fit. You could also replace "your" with "my" in the sentence. If it fits, then use "your."

Write You're as a contraction or a combination, of the words you and are. Other examples of contractions include doesn't" for "does not," they're" for "they are," and can't" for "cannot."
"You're a good friend" means "You are a good friend.""I don't know what you're talking about" means "I do not know what you are talking about."3Write your as the possessive form of you, referring to something that a person has, something that belongs to the person in question, or the person you are talking to.
"Is your stomach growling?""Your book is on the table."4 Wrong again!Take a look at some examples. Each of the following examples shows an incorrect use of your/you're, and why it is incorrect.
"I can't read you're handwriting."
Incorrect, because the contraction for "you are" is being used in place of the possessive form of you. I can't read you are handwriting doesn't make sense. It should be replaced with "your"."If your hungry, then you should probably eat something."
Incorrect because there is no possession in question. this passes the replacement test. Rewriting it with "you are" fits. This should be replaced with you're, or you are."I think your very smart."
Again, incorrect. The "very smart" does not belong to the person that you are talking to — this doesn't make any sense. Replace your with you're, or you are.

Tips

English can be complicated, because there's an exception to every rule. Ex.: Keep in mind that the word your will never be followed by the words the, a, or an.
The word your will usually not be followed by an adjective, a word that describes, when that adjective is describing the person that you are talking to. In other words, saying "Your very kind" will almost never be correct. "Your very kind" would be correct if they were describing a noun, as in "Your nice son brought me my coat." Here, your nice is correct because nice is describing the person's son.
Remember that you're is actually a combination of two words and thus fulfills two very important roles in a sentence or clause. Because it includes both a pronoun and a verb, you're will always be the subject and at least part of the verb of any clause in which it appears.
Try replacing "your" or "you’re" with "you are" if you are unsure which to use. If the sentence makes sense, use "you’re." Remember that only "you’re" is a contraction. The apostrophe in "you’re" signifies the omission of the letter “a.” If the sentence does not make sense, you will know to use "your."
For example:
"You’re a good writer!" and "You are a good writer!" "You are" makes sense in this sentence, so you can use "you’re."
"I cannot read you're handwriting.” and "I cannot read you are handwriting." "You are" does not make sense in this sentence, so you should use "your."
Try not to think that proper writing is strictly "academic". It makes you appear more intelligent. More importantly, it eliminates the risk of bad habits "slipping out" in situations in which it is critical to convey propriety, such as writing a college essay or a job résumé.
Just remember "You're not spelling your words correctly," and it all falls into place.

Wow how conceited can one get?

It would have been polite for you to link to the wiki source that you copy and pasted from. Any 'Writer' would have known this, even if it was just wiki how...

I don't see what you are saying my friend..... the definition of conceited:-

"vain, proud, egotistical, self-important, self-satisfied"

This would imply that you think I think I am better than everyone that can't grasp this grammar rule... You seem to have the impression I am calling people thick for not knowing... when in fact I was purely stating that they were lazy for not taking the time to learn.... there is a difference.

Also, I am not a writer.... just someone that enjoys writing and appreciated the English language...

What is the difference of copying and pasting compared to a link? Does it really matter? The information is the important part of the post....

PA.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by tpg65

I think you're rant was very well written . Oh and while your in a ranting mood . How about a rant regarding the use off "off" & "of" , because i'm sick and tired off seeing these used in the wrong context.

Cheers and good luck in you're crusade

was that a joke?...cause you wrote..."regarding the use off"..which should have been "regarding the use of"...not that I care..but it seems silly you would do the exact same thing you are complaining about...unless you are being sarcastic of course?

Ho ho ho

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
OMG WTF SHTFU, There are poeple from all over the world on these pages.. how do expect them to use the queens english exactly the way you do as a native speaker FFS. innit.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well, I am soooooo sorry if i have ever made that mistake mate.

However, you should keep in mind that for many people posting here, english is not their first language.

Including me, i speak 4 languages, and english is but one of them. So please, if you can find it in your heart to forgive me for making some small errors while trying to write a post in my broken english, and not live up to your glorious high standards. I am just trying my best, like countless others here.

To have my post shredded to pieces, because of a few small mistakes, in either grammar or spelling, is besides the point, don't you think.

Is the message of the post not more important sir, than some spelling mistake?

I find it a bit condescending to pick on someone because of his spelling or grammar, especially if it is not his first language.

However since you have brought this up, i will be closely monitoring your posts, and jump on the chance to point it out when you do make a mistake, and, believe me, you will............

vvv

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
Personally I can appreciate your attempt to help people out. I don't understand why your grammar is being attacked. A small mistake here and there is not the issue at all.

Say we have two people A and B. Person A speaks and writes perfectly all the time and person B makes the kind of mistakes discussed in previous posts. Person B Will always be able to understand person B as person A uses the "fundamentals" of our language. Person A on the other hand won't comprehend person B's language. They will read it for what it really is (instinctually) and it won't make any sense to them. The interpretation is literally an extra step for person A.

So while person B is doing less work by choice(no spell checking, grammar checking, punctuation etc.) Person A has to do more work. Person A will have to "decode" Person B's writing.

In this day and age why do we have to decipher our own language just to understand it. Better yet, what chance do future historians have of understanding us if we can't even agree on our own language?

Blaming it all on foreign people is a weak argument. This is about lazy english speaking people not foreign people.

I thank you sir.... you have spotted the point of my message...many people make small mistakes and errors, whether this is related to the speed of typing or attempting to type a large string of thought out in one go.... this happens, as you can see from my original post!! However, it is the laziness of not bothering to learn that annoys me... when the rule is simple.

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

However, you should keep in mind that for many people posting here, english is not their first language.

Including me, i speak 4 languages, and english is but one of them. So please, if you can find it in your heart to forgive me for making some small errors while trying to write a post in my broken english, and not live up to your glorious high standards. I am just trying my best, like countless others here.

To have my post shredded to pieces, because of a few small mistakes, in either grammar or spelling, is besides the point, don't you think.

I find it a bit condescending to pick on someone because of his spelling or grammar, especially if it is not his first language.

However since you have brought this up, i will be closely monitoring your posts, and jump on the chance to point it out when you do make a mistake, and, believe me, you will............

vvv

Now come on... don't get all defensive....

The message of the post is the most important point, I couldn't agree more, however, the way in which it is related to others reflects on the original opinion, in my opinion.....

If I am told something by an articulate and sober person, it is easy to understand, and also easy to trust...as it appears to come from a reputable source....

If a drunk in the gutter screams the same message at me through an alcoholic haze, am I not less likely to believe them??

Delivery is all important when trying to influence people/debate a subject....

To be taken seriously you need to be able to demonstrate that you have seriously considered your material...

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Im my experience people are always looking for help in improving language....

Oh, what is this? A typo? Im, instead of In? Interesting....

VVV

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

vvv

Please... feel free... for I will make mistakes.... again, you miss the point.

I am not having a go at people for bad spelling and grammar... I am moaning that people are lazy not to learn this one simple rule... every time they write your, You're or Yore, they must wonder if their usage is correct... why not spend 2 mins reading about it...solved!

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Now come on... don't get all defensive.... The message of the post is the most important point, I couldn't agree more, however, the way in which it is related to others reflects on the original opinion, in my opinion..... If I am told something by an articulate and sober person, it is easy to understand, and also easy to trust...as it appears to come from a reputable source.... If a drunk in the gutter screams the same message at me through an alcoholic haze, am I not less likely to believe them?? Delivery is all important when trying to influence people/debate a subject.... To be taken seriously you need to be able to demonstrate that you have seriously considered your material...

Yes, and you address absolutely nothing about people speaking multiple languages, who therefore are indeed not "lazy" as you state so frequently, about learning a new language.

Furthermore, i hardly think that you can compare the use of the words, "you're and your" to a drunk screaming his message to you from the gutter.

I will accept that you find this irritating, just like i find it irritating that someone would complain about such a small issue.

Lol, so be it though, each to his own.

Carry on, and tally ho....

vvv

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It is very clear that the op is addressing LAZY english speaking people. Not foreign people. That is why they are not addressed. Why would the op talk about a group he is not talking about?
edit on 18-8-2011 by ScRuFFy63 because: oops sry

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It is very clear that the op is addressing LAZY english speaking people. Not foreign people. That is why they are not addressed. Why would the op talk about a group she is not talking about?

Thank you kind sir... a voice of reason in the midst of a storm of confusion....

Oh, and I'm a bloke..... (smile)

PA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Sry, to be honest you have a deceiving mix of features. I could have gone either way.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Sry, to be honest you have a deceiving mix of features. I could have gone either way.

Although, in your first post you stated that my point was "very clear"...... what changed?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join