It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Difficulty understanding God

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by coachkinsey
reply to post by MamaJ

If we were ready, and we were not instead of John the Baptist, Elijah and Moses would have returned. Ready or not they will return soon, Rev Ch 11. There is no reincarnation. We are eternal spiritual beings and are in this flesh body but a short testing period. John the Baptist, you, me all are spiritual beings.

Sorry brother....I will have to agree to disagree. I read something totally different that you ....and hey....its all good. You believe what your heart tells you and so will I. ;-)

I know we are spiritual beings but there is not just one "test run" ....just not in my opinion. Also....The bible speaks of it...Pope Constantine was said to burn gospels that stated it and as many Near Death Experiences I have studied all point to the same thing.... Reincarnation.

And yeah...whether or not we are ready....it will be soon, and I think we can agree on that one...although may not be right. hahaha! Just never know but there is a belief for the both of us to be had as we have experienced and studied differently.

All we know is what we know when this life has passed! I await patiently.

I have a beautiful family whom I love very much. I am HAPPY and finally at peace after almost 40 years. Life for us is right now is good....no complaints. I do however welcome My Man Jesus anytime he is ready to return though.

Peace and love to you and yours!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo

Jenn

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
To assert that memory is stored in one area of the brain, is a great leap...this has never been proven to any extent...and, is not a true statement.
Again, asserting that a section taken out of your brain will devoid you of memories is a great leap.
I know a woman who was on medication. The medication affected her in bad ways. She would black out and do things and not remember having done them. It is because the medicine was affecting her brain functions.

Have you heard of split-brained patients? It is a very interesting subject. Both hemispheres of the brain are connected by the Cerebral Cortex. Information is passed through the Cerebral Cortex from one hemisphere to the other. If the Cerebral Cortex is damaged or severed, not allowing information to pass between the hemisphere, interesting things can happen.

If you search youtube, you can find videos on this particular subject. The right eye is connected to the left brain, and the left eye is connected to the right brain. So, a patient was shown images with each eye isolated from the other. The image was the same for each eye. It was an image of fruit that formed a face. With one eye, the corresponding hemisphere saw fruit. With the other eye, the corresponding hemisphere saw a face.

In another example, a patient was asked if they believed in god. One side would answer "yes", while the other would answer "no" because the hemispheres of the brain process information differently.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Adjunct to this...
There are many documented examples of individuals who (miraculously), after having significant chunks of brain removed, are still able to relearn, 're-member' significant memories. Are these peoples' brains any different to everybody elses? Or, does this, for you, point to a fault in the assertion that memory is stored in the one place...or something else?

Do you have sources? I would like to look into this. What I suspect, is that if the patient is able to recover memory it is because the section of brain removed did not hold those memories. I could be wrong about that, but I don't know how a memory could just come back if a section of brain was removed that the memory had been stored in. Again, that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by UndesirableNo1

The difficulty of understanding God is the same as the difficulty of understanding psychology. If you know every emotion of the brain and every aspect of the brain then you can go for a long time deciding on which emotions are right and wrong. Eventually when you study the emotions you will begin to understand the concept of time interacting with these emotions. You will be aware of the dream world and different capabilities that you never had. Understanding all of psychology is understanding the ego, you can remain in the ego or go out of the ego. It just so happens that when a person thinks about it too much they cannot do it.

I feel absolutely no reason not to believe, from everything I have seen it is a conclusion in stone of mine that something is out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

To assert that memory is stored in one area of the brain, is a great leap...this has never been proven to any extent...and, is not a true statement.
Again, asserting that a section taken out of your brain will devoid you of memories is a great leap.
I know a woman who was on medication. The medication affected her in bad ways. She would black out and do things and not remember having done them. It is because the medicine was affecting her brain functions.

Have you heard of split-brained patients? It is a very interesting subject. Both hemispheres of the brain are connected by the Cerebral Cortex. Information is passed through the Cerebral Cortex from one hemisphere to the other. If the Cerebral Cortex is damaged or severed, not allowing information to pass between the hemisphere, interesting things can happen.

If you search youtube, you can find videos on this particular subject. The right eye is connected to the left brain, and the left eye is connected to the right brain. So, a patient was shown images with each eye isolated from the other. The image was the same for each eye. It was an image of fruit that formed a face. With one eye, the corresponding hemisphere saw fruit. With the other eye, the corresponding hemisphere saw a face.

In another example, a patient was asked if they believed in god. One side would answer "yes", while the other would answer "no" because the hemispheres of the brain process information differently.

The interesting things you speak of happen to be events which include, areas of the brain previously thought to have nothing to do with the 'location' of said memories, RE-MEMBERING (read this word!), memories apparently meant for another part of the brain?!
Oliver Sachs - Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.
Akushla

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Adjunct to this...
There are many documented examples of individuals who (miraculously), after having significant chunks of brain removed, are still able to relearn, 're-member' significant memories. Are these peoples' brains any different to everybody elses? Or, does this, for you, point to a fault in the assertion that memory is stored in the one place...or something else?

Do you have sources? I would like to look into this. What I suspect, is that if the patient is able to recover memory it is because the section of brain removed did not hold those memories. I could be wrong about that, but I don't know how a memory could just come back if a section of brain was removed that the memory had been stored in. Again, that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.

Your assumption all along has been that memories are always stored in particular areas of the brain. Start with this assumption and anything deviating from this dogmatic belief will seem odd.
I have done my research...
ask Uncle Google!
Akushla

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The interesting things you speak of happen to be events which include, areas of the brain previously thought to have nothing to do with the 'location' of said memories, RE-MEMBERING (read this word!), memories apparently meant for another part of the brain?!
Oliver Sachs - Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.
Akushla

Adjunct to this...you are still using the brain 'wiring' to describe phenomena. The wiring is the hardware. Where are the zero's and one's?
Mess around with an old radio, switch wires around...and tell me what happens! While you're at it, and have the thing open - see if you can find where the 'voice in the box' is.
Akushla

Akushla

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Adjunct to this...you are still using the brain 'wiring' to describe phenomena. The wiring is the hardware. Where are the zero's and one's?
Mess around with an old radio, switch wires around...and tell me what happens! While you're at it, and have the thing open - see if you can find where the 'voice in the box' is.
Akushla
I'm not sure what you mean by "the ones and zeroes", unless you're asking where does thinking take place....and if that's the case, it takes place in the brain. Do you have a different idea where it takes place?

When you drink enough alcohol, or take certain medication, the chemicals in your brain are affected, and your thinking is not the same as if you were sober.

Again, why does a person with a split brain have a belief in a god, and a disbelief in a god at the same time, as if he has two different sources for thoughts contradicting each other?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UndesirableNo1
I would love perspectives of well-read or highly enlightened individuals, but please, mature responses only. Stagnant responses: "There is no God. End of discussion." "God just made it that way. End of thinking." need not mentions.

I am having some difficulty with the concept of God. This is not a bashing thread. Here we go: God created everything and it was good, except the strange parts in the Old Testament where there is war in Heaven, and Satan is an angel that wanted to be God and jealousy existed. So we kick Satan out of heaven and his followers. We've got evil. Fallen angels and demons. Mmm'kay.

But God made Satan (Lucifer, Morning Star, whatever). He was kicked out of heaven to Earth, which he is now "the prince of this world," in which after Judgement Day, God throws Satan and his minions into the fires of Hell as punishment. Hell is a place created for punishment, it is not where the Devil currently dwells or rules like a king. But God created this place of punishment for Satan. God created Hell. And while it's hard to grasp what hell is, if it's worse than anything the devil can create (a corrupt planet Earth) wouldn't that make God more evil than the devil?

And salvation. God created this big universe, and we may not be the only lifeforms here on Earth. Angels are lifeforms that don't live on earth. So is that to say that before the Devil, NO SOUL suffered the HORRIBLE damnation of hell because everyone got to be/go to Heaven and that after the devil is thrown into hell, all the other lifeforms in the Universe that God created are lucky because they weren't tempted by the Devil on Earth and get to go to heaven, too? It's kinda like a before and after. The devil exists, and then is punished. Compared to time, it's just a short time for him to corrupt living creatures and try to take them with him to the "bad place" that seems like a bunch of unlucky people will be subjected to because they were born at the wrong time. I'm trying to figure out how this is fair, or just, or loving...
edit on 18-8-2011 by UndesirableNo1 because: (no reason given)

Also...Why is God waiting to punish Satan for his transgression after he takes humanity with him? Why not have punished Satan then and there in Heaven? Why wait to punish Satan after he takes away the creatures you created in your image?
edit on 18-8-2011 by UndesirableNo1 because: (no reason given)

Here is the main factor "Free Will" for example there is a scripture in the bible that says "Life and death have i laid before you choose you this day what it will be" God told adam ahead of time you can eat of every tree and live except that one tree, if you eat of it you will die. God gave adam a choice of Life or Death. Having a choice means he had a choice of free will. To be Good or not to be Good. Satan decieved Eve but not Adam. Adam consciously chose to eat of the apple and rebel knowing the consequences. When Adam fell he handed over his authority on Earth to Satan. Satan now has a right to be here and God cannot kick him out until the appointed time. (refer to the scripture where the demons ask Jesus "do you come to torment us before the time) meaning when satan's time is up here he will be sent to Hell. In the meantime there is a spiritual warfare of souls going on here on Earth. Satan is frantically trying to hold onto his power structure here to try and divert his judgement while Christ Came 2,000 years ago and stripped him of his powers of Death, Hell, Grave which meant that Satan at the time had those Keys. for example satan contended for the body of moses so there must have been an actual right that satan had to contend for it.

Now those that believe in Christ die and are reborn with a new spirit that is not of this world thus not subject to the authority of Satan and Christ stripping and defeating satan on the cross gives his authority to the church over the devil. Satan still has the right to be here thats why there is a multitude of religions and deceptions to keep the bulk of the world population in the darkness about the truth of Jesus Christ. In the end judgement will happen and it will be all over with. And there is not scriptural evidence at the moment to support any other life in the universe besides our own. If God decides to reveal that to us at a later date then we can believe that. Angels existed in the spirit world before this universe even existed thus were not created in this dimension although they are able to move in and out of this dimension and exist in it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Akushla
I'm not sure what you mean by "the ones and zeroes", unless you're asking where does thinking take place....and if that's the case, it takes place in the brain. Do you have a different idea where it takes place?

When you drink enough alcohol, or take certain medication, the chemicals in your brain are affected, and your thinking is not the same as if you were sober.

Again, why does a person with a split brain have a belief in a god, and a disbelief in a god at the same time, as if he has two different sources for thoughts contradicting each other?

Zeros and ones...binary used to encode what is read on a hard drive...building blocks of the information read off the hard drive. You can't actually see the zeros and ones on a disc, but they are there! In the same way, you cannot actually see thought or memory, but, you would agree, they are there! One of the ways we know this, is, that we are conscious of them being somewhere within the cranium.
When you drink enough alcohol, or take certain medication...it is like playing around with a radio, changing the wires around...this is why I used this as an example...you will most certainly recieve a garbled signal!

In answer to the 'split brain' question, reread what i have just written about wiring in the brain...with the understanding that the brain is 'bio-wired'. Chemicals affect this bio-wiring to garble the signal/perception/thought.
On top of this, the brain creates new pathways for the conduit of thought-memory, so that when one area of the brain (previously thought to [contain] said specific memories or thoughts), is damaged or indeed removed (and I don't mean the whole hard-disc/brain), rewiring takes place to circumvent this area and relocate memory and thought to another location/s.
Akushla

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding what you're getting at.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

reply to post by akushla99

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding what you're getting at.

I think it's called, 'getting stuck in details'.
Work from the general to the specific, not the other way 'round.
Good luck in your search.
Akushla

<< 8  9  10   >>

join