It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Economy Growing Long Before Gov. Rick Perry (NPR)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Texas Economy Growing Long Before Gov. Rick Perry (NPR)

www.npr.org

"So it's not just the last 10 years; this has been going on now for 21 years — at least," says Richard Fisher, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Fisher says population expansion is driving growth. Every day, about 1,000 people are either born in or move to Texas. That means new housing, roads, retail, schools, police, fireman, the list goes on. And while Gov. Perry touts the success of job creation in the private sector, job growth in government employment has been just as
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Strange to find truth like this coming out of NPR. Texas has done more to prevent Rick Perry from ruining the state than it has benefited from the Governer.

Whether it is lying about cracking down on the TSA, twice. HPV shots being forced on the population by decree. Attempts to sell our paid roads to foreign companies for toll revenues. Rick Perry is bad for Texas, bad for America.

It doesn't even bother me to watch Fox News plaster his name wherever they can.

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Governer Goodhair has been less than inspiring during his time in office, that's for certain. And for him to take credit for the growth in jobs (even though it is negative growth compared to overall population) is disingenuous at best. The most I can say is that he managed to NOT screw it up... but that's not for lack of trying.

Well, it's election season.. the time of spin... and I am getting dizzy.

Texas Employment Numbers
edit on 8-17-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Employment may be higher...but most jobs created thereare low wage.

Texas is also among the top states for it's usage of food stamps.

To qualify for food stamps, an individual's income can't exceed $1,174 a month or $14,088 a year -- an amount that is 130% of the national poverty level.

money.cnn.com...
edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Rick Perry is one big A** Titbag D-word (And I don't mean democrat). Of course, well, just think of what a lady uses when she aint feeling so fresh. I hope TO G-O-D his sorry A** don't end up in the white house, that'll be it for me, I'll pack up and gain citizenship in CUBA!
edit on 17-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

So they blame population growth for success in Texas?

California has got to be confused by this news.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I hope TO G-O-D his sorry A** don't end up in the white house, that'll be it for me, I'll pack up and gain citizenship in CUBA!

Need help packing?

The real measure is whether Perry has been able to maintain the growth in Texas, and the answer is a resounding YES! Contrast that with what Obama has done to the US.

The fact that Texas is a border state brings its own set of issues. Illegals come to Texas for the jobs; illegals come to California for the welfare.
edit on 17-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

...population growth does have a lot to with it...

...tons of people moved here from places where the economy really sucked and, more often than not, they're accustomed to paying much more in rent or to buy a house... that drove up housing prices like crazy...

...new home construction has fallen off somewhat since the 80s and 90s but its still booming in san antonio (cuz we're bigger than friggin dallas now, lol)...

...rick perry aint got squat to do with anything positive in texas except maybe hairspray sells...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

The article should clarify that it was a population increase from hardworking people and not parasites that bleed the system.

I'm sure business also likes the low low taxes in Texas, its ranked 6th to 7th lowest in the nation, plus no income tax.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Living in Texas my whole life I can tell you why even being a border state with Mexico how we have managed to do better than a lot of states in this poor economy. You see we don't have a state income tax... We have a state SALES TAX.... So it doesn't matter if you are here legally or illegally -- EVERYONE pays taxes if they make a purchase... Something that seems to get lost in the media. Just a little FYI.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think the bottom line the article is trying to make is that Texas is Texas in spite of people like Rick Perry, and not because of him.

We don't tolerate his policies, and have told him more than once exactly how we feel. Unlike other states, when we march on the Capitol, it's not violent but meaningful. Texans mean business, and business is good.

Down with Perrry, Up with States Rights!
edit on 2011/8/17 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

You're a Texan? Can you tell us what Perry's stand on illegal immigration is? Thanks -

new topics

top topics

join