It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good use of logic in the question of, Is God Real?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by scolai
reply to post by racasan

Every atheist site I've seen presented on this site or by one of my friends has been to prove the statement "Christian god does not exist." I've never seen one that has said "there is no higher power" without mention of the bible, jesus, or the christian religion.

Take this one for example:

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

godisimaginary.com...

If you look closely, there's even a cute little cross in the tab that opens up. All 50 points summed up into one: "Christian god cannot possibly exist, not because we have proof, but simply because we said so."

This seems like a step-down from your initial rational post. You may consider the proportional amount and the intensity of the 'missioning' religions presented on web-sites available in english-speaking western countries and then relate that to the content of the opposition.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Words have meanings.

You are either stating a fact...or you are not using the english language correctly.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Is god the basis for your bible"? The overwhelming reply would be yes he is.

Of course the overwhelming reply would be yes. Only people whose religion includes some "authoritative" book would even bother to answer the question. I pick N/A as in not applicable. Where does that show up in the questionnaire?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scolai

Essentially, atheism is anti-christianity, under the guise of pseudoscience.

There probably are many "atheists" who are such as a rebellion against Christianity. That would only apply to those sufficiently inculturated in Christianity that atheism is taken as the alternative.

The same goes for those who truly believe in the claims of Christianity, yet hate the restrictions they perceive, then choose something like 'satanism' while accepting the "Christian" definition of what "satanism" must be.

Both of these categories I would classify as "Christian rebel". In my opinion, there is much dishonesty involved. These Christian rebels shouldn't be dignified with the label atheist any more than the "satanist" who is merely a disgruntled Christian.

edit on 16-8-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by racasan

Words have meanings.

You are either stating a fact...or you are not using the english language correctly.

Here are the >opinions< I first put forward

what we see are claims of not only is there is a computer but that it is know what the computer wants and what the computer usually wants is power money and sex for the computers representatives

now people are re-examining the original clams about the computer and finding that not only is the computer badly described, its most likely fictional

And its these opinions I am willing to cover

And again I have highlighted words I think your not paying any attention to

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It shows the true failure of the christian thought process. I'll take logic,math, science, and my own life experience. I'll keep on being human & being human towards those I meet. Life is short, this we all know. I simply cannot live mine in a certain way as to satisfy something written in a book, when the reward promised is in no way been proven.

I really must agree with you on this example showing the "failure of the christian thought process." And your commitment to being human is logical.

I read further in this Psalm 139. It is obviously an attempt by a devotee of one Yahweh, to prove his own worthiness to Yahweh. "You know me! I'm everything you could ever hope for in a follower!" including:

PS 139:19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

PS 139:20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

PS 139:21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Yahweh,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

PS 139:22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

Enthusiastic hatred for people who don't like the "god" Yahweh is given as a reason that Yahweh should like the person singing this psalm. Does this Yahweh encourage hatred?

Really now: Four options here:
1) Act like the Psalmist by trying to earn browny points through hatred.
2) Reject Yahweh as one worthy of appeasing.
3) Believe he exists and live in fear that he will kill you
4) Rationally question whether this character exists outside of the book.

The Christians don't allow themselves 2) or 4) and live with 1) and 3). I don't know where religious Judaism stands on this, except that I've used the Name in a manner that should result in my death. I suppose many Christians would agree with my death penalty.

Verses can be supplied upon request.
edit on 16-8-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Originally posted by scolai
reply to post by racasan

Every atheist site I've seen presented on this site or by one of my friends has been to prove the statement "Christian god does not exist." I've never seen one that has said "there is no higher power" without mention of the bible, jesus, or the christian religion.

Take this one for example:

godisimaginary.com...

If you look closely, there's even a cute little cross in the tab that opens up. All 50 points summed up into one: "Christian god cannot possibly exist, not because we have proof, but simply because we said so."

This seems like a step-down from your initial rational post. You may consider the proportional amount and the intensity of the 'missioning' religions presented on web-sites available in english-speaking western countries and then relate that to the content of the opposition.

You've got a good point there. That didn't even cross my mind.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scolai

Let me clarifiy my opinion. Notice I said MY OPINION. Any ones choice to beleive or not to beleive in God is a personal decision. A decision we make by ourselve"s within our own minds. Is it not?

Let me be specific. To believe in a HIGHER POWER , one that is a omnipotent God, whether that God is in the Christian Bible, The Torah, The Koran, Book of Hindu, Or Book of Mormon, Or any other Book of any faith of any religion, Is to suspend reality as we know it.

To say something is real, without the evidence to maintain that statement is not logical. Where is the evidence for any God or Higher Power? From where I sit all the evidence to support the theory of a God is the Bibles of the various religions. Christian Bible, The Torah, The Koran, Book Of Hindu, Book of Mormon.

I have never seen or heard of A bible for us non-beleivers. There is no Atheist Bible. But what evidence I do have is real & tangible, hold in your hand evidence. ( millions of dinosaur bones and fossils) from every corner of the earth . Bones from the area, of Israel, China, India, Iraq, Iran, everywhere. on earth.
Zero evidence from any of these places that say's God is real. Zero, Zilch, nothing ,nathan nada.

Those of you who do wish to suspend reality and follow God, feel free. Just stop trying to get the rest of us suspend ours and join you. And I notice zero people who argued against this topic brought fourth any explanation as for the contradictions in the Bible. All Bibles, not just the christian version.

If we were building a building. And we find ten stories into the build that there is a design flaw in the blueprint that could get people killed or hurt, we would point this out and stop the build. We would'nt keep going and play "wait & see" . So why follow a book with serious flaws & contradictions, that can be pointed out clearly for you to see.Is illogical from my perspective.

Eventually your building is going to collaspe around you. And the flaws we be ever apparent. I myself have stopped my build, the flaws and contradictions out weigh my desire to build further. God is Imaginary. And there is zero proof to say he is'nt.

edit on 16-8-2011 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Aaah, but it's the same old, trite story. Some missionary theists trangressing the lines of the rational position of 'agnosticism' and in various 'clever' semantic disguises trying to enforce their self-proclaimed absolutes.

It's just plain singlemindedness continuing to hammer circle-arguments into the greater society of mankind. Rational attitudes is a city on Mars for the missionary mindset, and for the real fanatics, it's questionable if they even understand the concept 'rational' at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm just going to quit this argument with two easy statements:

1. To believe in a higher power may not be logical; however, neither is half of the smeg posted on this site. Some people believe nibiru/elenin/wormwood/planet x is going to destroy the earth, some believe in ghosts, and some can list off more than five alien races. Is any of that logical? No. Is there undisputable evidence for any of these claims? Probably not. People just believe they have felt or seen these things. If they want to believe in anything, they have the right to choose.

reply to post by scolai

Those of you who do wish to suspend reality and follow God, feel free. Just stop trying to get the rest of us suspend ours and join you

2. Don't be a hypocrite. This entire thread was antagonistic proselytizing. If you're going to say "god is definitely not real. It's all imaginary. That is not opinion; that is fact." Don't act like a smegging victim when people say "God is definitely real. That is not opinion; that is fact."

I really wish we could just stop the whole religion war. I would love to see people start discussing their beliefs in "my opinion is..." terms instead of proselytizing.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by scolai

And those of you who believe in U.F.O, aliens( all 5 races) ghost's, santa, easter bunny. Worm wood, Marduk, Nibiru., trolls,fairies,God, Etc, Etc. ( Imho) To have a belief in any and all of the above ( without any evidence what so ever, Is to suspend reality as ( I ) know it. ( Your reality may differ ).

Of the above listed ( beleifs/myths) only one has wrought more pain and suffering to man and beast than all others . More human's have died and been persecuted in the name of God than any other reason known to man.

I can find zero evidence of an Atheist war, or killing thousands of human's in the name of Atheism. Faith alone is not proof. I do agree that it is well passed time for the arguement about the existance of God be layed to rest. Stop killing & persucuteing people in the name of God. And I'll shut my mouth about the issue.

To each his own my friend, have a great day. Dissagreeing human beings!!, who would have thought that,LOL.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
God is imaginary folks. Deal with it. JM

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Stop killing & persucuteing people in the name of God. And I'll shut my mouth about the issue.

I can find four things wrong with this statement, just off the bat:

1. I have never killed anyone in the name of god. I hardly even share my beliefs with anyone unless they feel inclined to ask me.

2. What you should have said was, "I will never shut up about the issue." As long as there is organized religion, people will kill in the name of their god.

3. It seems to me that people are not killing in the name of god as much as they are killing in the name of their religion. It's not a "accept my god or I'll kill you" kind of thing, but a neccessity for the proliferation of their silly beliefs.

4. Persecuting. It's persecuting. I hate to be a grammar nazi; but I'm an english major. Poor spelling drives me nuts.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join