It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America didn't do much in World War II (in Europe)

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

that is about the most accurate assessment I have seen.

I would bet the US would have been happy to let the twisted Japanese medical science apparatus do more research to pilfer. That is really the role we seemed to play.

From a nationalist point of view, I should be cheering it on. Being a humanist, however....i still find it repugnant. At least philosophically.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Truman no more called the shots than Bush or Obama.

By that point Wall Street owned US politics.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Who ever REALLY ends up having RAN the Mil/Ind Complex when they are exposed because NOW its all secret.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Destroying the French Fleet

1,300 French sailors died in under 15 minutes

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Great post.

I by no means wish to insult the memories of all those brave US soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice - they have my eternal gratitude and respect.

But one thing many people tend to either ignore, or conveniently forget, is that the US didn't come the aid of anyone - they were forced into the conflict.
Japan committed an act of war against the US at Pearl Harbour.
This in turn resulted in Germany and Italy declaring war upon the USA.
Neither country was bound to declare war, but they did, and thus forced the USA's hand.

Who knows how long they would have stayed out of the conflict?
We all know Roosevelt was sympathetic to The Allies cause, but big business and public opinion were still very much against direct US involvement.
I suspect the US would have remained neutral for as long as possible.....but we'll never know.

One thing is certain.....once the USA entered the war they were 100% committed to the war effort.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterbananas
alot of Americans say that their country was the big hero in WW2 they always say that they did the most to win the war. but they didn't even fight as hard as the The Soviet Union did... The Soviet Union had 8 million military casualties during world war 2 and 14 million civillian casualties during WW2 with a population of over 186,000,000 total people the USA had 416,000 military deaths with a population of over 131,000,000 total people with only around 1000 civilian deaths... now the Soviet Union had around 13.50% total population lost as compared to 0.32% lost in the USA... now they also say that Canada did not do as much as they did. we had .40% population lost with 0 Civillian casualties, also Canada had been the first country to declare war on Germany. (September 9th 1939.)

US Ammunition was being made in 1939 and sold to Nazi Germany until Decemeber 1941 which is when Pearl Harbour happened and then the USA declared war on Japan and then Germany, Japan's allie, declared war on the USA, the things sold to Germany until 1941 would include mortars and bullets.

[I know how poorly written this actually is but you should just make it understandable in your head so you could get my point]

Now, americans always talk about fighting nazis in World War 2 but if you try to find them actually doing so on a search engine you will not find barely anything about the USA in Germany inbetween 1941-1945 except Omaha and Utah squadrons on the beach in Normandy being the only times i could find records of the USA fighting Germany... not to mention the war in Japan had continued 2 months after the war in Europe. yes I do know of the POW camps in Canada i live near one, Neys Park, where Japanese people were held obviously as Prisoners Of War.

I missed alot so feel free to PM me alot of the Facts I missed, have a good day ATS.

oh yea and the point of this was that they didn't do as much as they say in Europe

YEAH, Your right. They could of defended themselve without our help. The Royal Family has a Far Supirior military of all. We should of stayed out of there, they can handle thier own. Since they have a far SUPIRIOR MILITARY, i think from now on we should let them take care of themselves. They have the know how and supirior military mind AND they have ALL THE FINANCES IN THE WORLD.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

You seem intent to mention The Royal Family at every opportunity don't you regardless of relevance.

And you do seem very angry, especially towards us Brits.

I wonder if you've actually read any of this thread.....please do because you'd be able to learn some interesting things....you know, like facts, as it actually was and not as told by Hollywood.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

The Japanese committed an act of war that the US Government knew was coming. And chose to ignore.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yes, so it would seem.

Though there still remains some doubt as to exactly who knew what and when and as to the motivations behind those who chose to ignore the warnings.

How long would the US have stayed out of the conflict if Japan hadn't chose to attack?
If Germany hadn't subsequently declared war on the US would the US stayed out of the European centred conflict?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

German rocket science was the holy grail that the US sought.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Probably.

And no matter what they would have eventually got it whatever happened.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

You seem intent to mention The Royal Family at every opportunity don't you regardless of relevance.

I wonder if you've actually read any of this thread.....please do because you'd be able to learn some interesting things....you know, like facts, as it actually was and not as told by Hollywood.

Now why would you type that ? Thats just dumb, that only tells me you never read anything. Why would you say that ?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

You might want to take a LOOKSIE yourself. I doubt your from england. Like UR avatar says. You have all the traits of US. SO, what state are you from ?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Your right the UK did have the superior military.

It was not until after WW2 the USA over took the UK as military superpower.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Wa reply to: Old77 wow, Europe only exists because of America. Your making his point, well done. Btw that's alot of bull. Idiot.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I get his point (although a little extreme). I think his issue, which I agree with is the bravado from some Americans who seem to think they saved us, that we couldn't have won without them. Ill sum it up in my own words; 'America contributed greatly to the war when they finally got around to joining in'. Id say the US's biggest contribution was resources. In terms of man power, the other allied nations like the UK, France, Russia etc contributed more as they were there from the start and were involved in all more fighting for that reason. America didnt win the war, but they certainly helped.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun lol idiot, your exactly the type of person this thread is aimed at. America joined late and helped kick them when they were down, just accept it. You weren't there at the start, for whatever reason, and Britain not England dumb # helped there allies fight the most advanced and well trained military in the world at the time.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I doubt your from england. Like UR avatar says.

Don't be silly - do some research, its not hard.

And don't you think someone else would have spotted that in the 7 years I've been a member?

You have all the traits of US.

How do you reckon that?
What are 'the traits of US', please enlighten us.

SO, what state are you from ?

Again, stop being silly.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

German rocket science was the holy grail that the US sought.

They also did well in jet, stealth and aerodynamics research too.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anubis259
I get his point (although a little extreme). I think his issue, which I agree with is the bravado from some Americans who seem to think they saved us, that we couldn't have won without them. Ill sum it up in my own words; 'America contributed greatly to the war when they finally got around to joining in'. Id say the US's biggest contribution was resources. In terms of man power, the other allied nations like the UK, France, Russia etc contributed more as they were there from the start and were involved in all more fighting for that reason. America didnt win the war, but they certainly helped.

I do get ticked off as well when they belittle events like Dunkirk ect like the USA entered the war as a bunch of Heroic captain Americas a immediately kicked arse when in fact there entry was far from impressive and suffered from the same problems as every other nation when they first started IE low combat experience and poor equipment.

It took a long time and a lot of hard work for the American armed forces to become the juggernaut it ended up as by the end of the war.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join