It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Island Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It seems just about everywhere has their own story about a local creature. I was just wondering if Long Island has any to call our own.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well, a google search told me no. They have no monsters, but they do have resume's on monster.com if that helps

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is the closest I could find, The Great New England Sea Serpent.

The Great New England Sea Serpent

On August 10, 1817 a strange creature was sighted in the harbor of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Reports of it began to spread throughout New England.

The creature in this image matches the description of the Gloucester sea serpent

On August 18, 1817 the Linnaean Society of New England appointed a special committee to "collect evidence with regard to the existence and appearance of any such animal." This committee soon thereafter published a pamphlet in which it announced that the sightings of the creature represented the discovery of an entirely new genus, the Scoliophis Atlanticus.

However, the society's pamphlet met with ridicule, and inspired the production of numerous fake accounts of the creature. The account was particularly ridiculed in the South

Others, however, took the reports of the creature seriously. Jacob Bigelow composed an essay about the creature for Benjamin Silliman's prestigious American Journal of Science, and Arts. Interest in sea serpents reached an even greater pitch in America when there were mass sightings of a serpent off the coast of Nahant in 1819.

The last reported sighting of a sea serpent near Gloucester was June 12, 1914.

www.meta-religion.com... logy/Sea_monsters/gloucester_sea_serpent.htm

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There is supposed to be a monster out at the old Montauk air base, but I've never seen him.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
so its a possible bigfoot then?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well to be honest, I dont know. If you read the background into the story and the way the creature came into being it seems a very unlikely story. At least thats my assessment after studying the situation for quite a while now. At any rate, the monster is supposed to be trapped in one of the sealed off bunkers if I remember correctly. So I guess it could be a bigfoot, hell, if any of it is true, then anything is possible!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
hmmm, very good point about the montauk project. i don't know why it hadn't come to me sooner. seems to me there should be many monster stories related to camp hero. even if the story isn't real i would think it should have at least spawned many local stories.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
we (I spend about half my time on the east end) don't like to discuss the strange stories with interlopers.

top topics

join