It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New marine animal's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
2006 Euronews.net write:

The beauty and diversity of the Earth’s oceans have been revealed in all their glory. A ten year long census of marine life has documented and photographed the often bizarre and wonderful creatures which live in our planet’s watery depths.

As many as 6,000 potentially new species have been identified but scientists think this is just the beginning Source

Over the last few years they restarted investigate the vast diversity of the ocean’s, leading to wondrous new discoveries and weird species hard to imagine. So far they did’nt find Nessei, kraken or other seamonster’s, but the research could lead to new cure's and treatments and broaden our horizon.

28. June National Geographic posts [url=http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/pictures/110628-philippines-new-species-deep-sea-ocean-rare-animals-sharks-nudibranchs/]This[/url ] post with some of the recent find’s. I thought I would share some of the pictures:

A new deep-sea swell shark is one of the hundreds of potentially new species discovered on a recent expedition to the Philippines.
The shark, so named because it can suck in water to swell up and frighten predators, is likely new to science. Other known species of swell shark live elsewhere in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, according to expedition scientists at the California Academy of Sciences.
(Related: "Megamouth Shark Picture: Ultra-Rare Shark Found, Eaten.")

This specific worm will "bud" asexually, creating a second generation of worms that will reproduce sexually. That second generation will then grow into more worms like this one. Myrianida is one of the lesser-known genera of the syllid family, making this new worm a possible key to unlocking the secrets of the genus. Interesting.

Among the haul were three new relatives of the lobster. Instead of growing protective armor, these species hide in crevices on the ocean floor.

This new species of colorful. Nudibranchs are technically mollusks, but unlike clams or snails, sea slugs rely on powerful toxins and bright colors to warn away predators.

The Philippines expedition discovered at least 50 new species of nudibranch, including this one in the Armina genus.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28eb972109ba.jpg[/atsimg]

Resembling a colorful pancake, this new nudibranch looks ready for a bizarre brunch.

Here’s another nudibranch.

During one of the expedition's deep-sea trawls, the group hauled up this crab, likely a new species in the Iphiculus genus. Its pincers are lined with needle-like teeth.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47b5b3f47624.jpg[/atsimg]

Researchers snorkeling among coral reefs discovered and gently dug up this unidentified sea pen for later study.

Scanning the depths off the Philippines in 2007, an undersea robot beamed back video of a worm—or was it a squid, or a worm eating a squid?—with spiraling appendages, iridescent "oars," and a feathery "nose."

Only emerging at night, this new species of sea pen went undiscovered until the recent Philippines expedition. Like corals, sea pens are actually composed of colonies of polyps—tiny animals—working together.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfeb0559eeb0.jpg[/atsimg]

This pink coral colony, found recently in the Philippines, may represent a new species because it grows differently than related corals.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c209f62f13c1.jpg[/atsimg]

This chestfish use its fin’s to walk the bottom of the ocean.

Hope you enjoyed.

edit on 15-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
While they are amazing and beautiful animals, I really want them to discover something more interesting.. Like some kind of gigantic, prehistoric creature living in the deepest parts of the ocean.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I WANT ONE OF THE CHEST FISH
rlly rlly rlly rlly rlly bad

sorry gannicus, no kraken this trip
edit on 15-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You have to love the marine animals! The ocean for me is the greatest place on the planet. It will show you amazing beauty and can turn deadly in a second.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From the title of the thread I thought it was about the Marines recruiting Aliens.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Hehe...im sorry changed it from species to animal's. Good to know im not the only one who like animal's.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
NEW THINGS TO KILL!!!!!!

Well it is, look at most of the photos...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by klenker

then we get to cut it up and put it in 30 different machines

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Our oceans contain life that is more alien than what the wildest science fiction writers can dream up.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

wow thank you for these its always nice to get a break from the doom and gloom and see some real beauty!
those crabs with the teeth claws were pretty cool good thing king crab dont look like that otherwise deadliest catch would get alot more deadly

a question about the shark was it eaten and then found in another specimens stomach or was it eaten by the people who found it? and the fish with the legs looks straight out of doctor seus star and flag

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

We sure get enough of that.

Seams like i dident get the link to the pic's working correct...lets try again.
Pictures with text

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
New species are discovered every single day, I have even seen it happen! This is especially frequent in invertebrate taxa and in localities that have never or only minimally been explored before.

Be careful of your use of the word "sea monster". What defines a sea monster? What defines a monster, to begin with? I think it's even more exciting that we are finding things that we have never dreamed of, rather than things we have plausibly invented in our storybooks.

Besides, invertebrates are bizarre and awesome. There are nudibranchs that deposit chloroplasts from a specific species of algae into their little tentacles and live off of the sugars produced by those chloroplasts. That's a symbiotic plant/animal relationship, folks. Who cares about kraken when you can be part-animal part-plant?

new topics

top topics

join