It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Regard to War Protests

page: 1

join
share:
who

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
When I first watched on TV as people protested the war on Iraq in the streets of our major cities, I was disgusted. I thought how can these people possibly call themselves Americans. I was sent home from the Army about 2 weeks ago after enlisting last January due to a wrist that broke in 4 spots during AIT that wont ever heal to the way it once was, so dont think I am not a patriotic person, I am. Last night I had an eye opening conversation with my father, a veteran of the vietnam war that survived 2 tours. 2 men he works with were in the protests in Chicago that closed Lake Shore Drive, both veterans of the same war. The reason they protest the war is not to protest the soldiers or not support them, its to tell the government that what they are doing is wrong and not justified. They protest to say that dont want to see any more senseless killing. They dont want to see American Boys sent off to their deaths so the politicians can get richer. They are not protesting the soldiers, they understand what they are going through and have a great deal of respect for them. If anyone has seen the Moore movie Farenheit 9/11, there is a scene where they interview a member of congress and ask him to support the war by sending his own son to combat. He stomped off very upset at the thought of it. But its OK in their eyes to send planes full of americans over there to die. Thats messed up. Needless to say my view on many things has changed, or should I say the blinders have been taken off. Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm glad you realize that you are important to us Who. Our sons and daughters in the military should never be used to further the ambitions of a greedy or corrupt government. And that is what most of the protestors are worried about.
It does'nt mean they aren't patriotic. Hope your wrist gets better.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Your post is an important one, and there are many other current American servicemen who feel the same way. I wont link to the thread, but in it I made the statement that my country had given it's fair share of lives (I am Australian) for US lead wars since WW2, particularly Vietnam. I mentioned that I owe it to those veterans, both dead and alive, to make sure that a mistake like that never happens again. That young people are never sent to fight and die in unecessary wars.

I am pro-military. So I believe in the need for a strong defence and immediate action under a warranted circumstance. But I'll be damned if I see the errors of history repeated for questionable gain.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
great post, who. the protesters (and most anti-war people in general) DO care about the troops and DO respect the huge sacrifices they are making. it's the government they are protesting, as you say. i think a sign i saw in a vietnam war protest says it best: "Support our troops... bring them home!"

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The ability to protest is one of the fundemental rights as a citizen of the US has. This is one of the facets of the American Civilization that our soilders have faught and died for. That being said, one the protestors become violent and begin rioting, my support of them and thier cause ends.

However, I agree that by and large, most of the protestors do support the troops. If anything it is a lessen that we as a nation learned following the Vietnam war when the protestors vented thier anger at the returning troops instead of the politicians that sent them. Its really was a disgusting period in our history and Im glad to see this gneration of protestors able to make the differnetiation between the two.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You cannot dismiss all protestors just because one moron became violent.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
You cannot dismiss all protestors just because one moron became violent.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Indeed. Protests are not in anyway against the army people who are putting their lives on the line, it is for them. They should not have to be sent to die for political means, or for oil, or for power.

who

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Feels good to see that others on this site share my feelings on this topic, thanks everyone!

new topics

top topics

join