It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Loneliness of Seeing a UFO.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Yes it's lonely. Worse is when a close friend or spouse does'nt believe what you saw and even
reacts by ridiculing you and making the same boring jokes about Ufo's that have been
doing the rounds for years.

I understand what some people are saying in that people can presume some astronomical occurence is a Ufo.... but....Why don't people Listen to what the witness saw instead of judging.

An object that varies it's speed and direction, hovers, and moves in directions independant
of the wind is not a chinese lantern or a shooting star or satellite.

I have witnessed two bright objects that moved like this, stopping and starting, speeding up and slowing down and each moving indepedantly before both moving off in the same direction. I have been told theses were chinese lanterns or that i imagined it by people who weren't there. I really object to people telling
me what i saw with my own eyes! I am not claiming to have witnessed alien craft by reporting what I saw.

Also the saying a craft/ Ufo wouldn't have lights that drew attention is again judging the witness's
data instead of just listening. If an object is a Ufo we can't make
presumptions like this, as no-one knows what they are.
edit on 15-8-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Here's the problem. Do YOU even know what you saw?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I saw something in the sky Saturday evening that I couldnt explain... could it have been an airplane? Possibly, but the way the sun reflected off of it, it gave me the impression that it was spinning.

The object was a couple miles out, high in the sky, and looked like it was moving away from me, but the sun reflection on top kept going from left to right, very rapidly. If a plane were tilting back and forth, I could see the light reflecting off each wing, but it didnt look like it was tilting at all. I just stood there confused at what I was looking at til it disappeared from sight....

Definitely my first daylight U.F.O. , have no clue what it was, but it sure looked cool.

Back when I was in high school, I used to sit out in the hot tub late at night and watch stealth bombers fly over head, and every once in a while I would see something that didn't behave like a normal plane, but at that time I didn't really care much about reporting what I saw in the sky....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

I believe you, those lights look pretty close to what I seen last month. I also started a thread about it, took a picture but it was either too far away or just didn't come out very well. Here's the thread I did: www.abovetopsecret.com...
They were further away and higher.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I have had sightings, then abduction type experiences, and although I have sort of come to terms with it somehow, at the time when it was causing me stress, I had written out my experiences in an article that is still available on the net. What I hate is that I am aware much of my extended family foudn about and read it. They don't say anything to me, I guess because they figure I am nuts, end of story. But it always bothers me and I wish I hadn't made it so public.

I don't blame them for thinking I am insane, I guess in their place I would have figured the same thing. But I am always struggling with wanting to explain to them what I experienced, but I have no proof of anything and I guess I'll just have to live with being seen as a nutcase and talked about behind my back. I wish I had just decided to compartimentalize and move on sooner, before going public. At the time I needed to talk about it. Now I see I isolated myself even more by doing so.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's my problem. Why didn't you stop immediately and get video or even photos of something so extraordinary? Why didn't you at least try and shoot something through the windshield or window? I mean, c'mon, you see something that unusual and your reaction is, "I hope it hangs around until we get to somewhere convenient to pull over"?

On the other hand I can relate somewhat to what you are saying. Nearly 40 years ago (1974) five friend and I watched a large disk shaped apparently metallic craft manuever near us for several minutes. Not a light in the sky, though it did have lights, but a physical craft close enough to scare us. We didn't have a camera but I'm not even sure I would have thought to use one if I did. My best guess explanation was some kind of ET craft, based on it's silent hovering and moving. After 40 years of investigating and researching UFO sightings and seeing the huge number of hoaxes and misidentifications perpetrated as real I'm pretty much a complete skeptic.

My one niggling doubt about our sighting is caused by something that happened right at the end of the sighting. The object had almost disappeared to the NE (against a reported 2-5 knot breeze out of the east) when six excited teenagers screeched to a halt beside us and said they had been following a flying saucer from Isle of Hope (a small town just to the south) and wanted to know if we had seen it. You could actually still see it's lights in the distance if you knew what you were looking for but we had been there almost a half an hour and wanted to go so we told them we hadn't seen anything and left.

The reasons I discounted hoax are: It was big, probably 50-60 feet across. It appeared to be metal. Mylar existed but it wasn't very common. It was silent and powered, it moved against the wind. It had many sequencing lights around the rim and one steady blue light on top. There were no LED lights available at the time or lightweight polymer batteries. I'm pretty sure the lights and batteries to power them would have weighed more than a lighter than air craft of that size could carry.

If it was a hoax, if it was even possible, it was elaborate and expensive. Isle of Hope was an affluent bedroom community just outside of Savannah, GA. Those teens may have had access to significant resources. I still have to wonder if those teenagers weren't just following it but behind it as well.

Edit:

I didn't include this link because it had stopped working. Maybe MUFON was working on the database but it works now so:

mufoncms.com...
edit on 15-8-2011 by wasco2 because: to add

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus
I think a lot of people who don't know any better see lights in the sky and instantly think they're in the "I've seen an alien craft club". I'm sorry, but most people don't know a helicopter or jet in the night sky from a "UFO".
edit on 15-8-2011 by Gannicus because: (no reason given)

Anybody that isn't hanging out with aliens or are part of secret technology, "don't know any better". That's why the acronym UFO is used. I live 4 blocks away from a Hospital and a block away from a Pastarrific, they both use helicopters. I live 10 minutes from Grissom Air Reserve Base. I see Jets constantly. I can't tell you what I saw, but it wasn't jets, helicopters, flares, a light show, or anything I've ever seen. Was it secret technology? I'm sure something is going on at Grissom. But I can't say for sure. It was so far from my reality, that it might as well have been a religious experience. By the way there was no noticable noise associated with what I saw.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace
If you've seen a UFO, please share.

Yes... on 2 separate occasions, which were amazing and far beyond the capabilities of Earthly technology.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

You mentioned "It was terrifying and exhilirating at the same time" which sounds like you judged it to be quite extraordinary.

I would like to hear more, from a readers perspective all I got was:

- it was huge. It was the size of a football field with 5 lights on the side. (...moving independantly but in unison.)

- It then vanished

So then - something huge hovering, with lights on it that then 'vanished'.

As in -poof- disappeared or zipped out of sight super fast?

Could you tell what shape it was?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2
Here's my problem. Why didn't you stop immediately and get video or even photos of something so extraordinary? Why didn't you at least try and shoot something through the windshield or window? I mean, c'mon, you see something that unusual and your reaction is, "I hope it hangs around until we get to somewhere convenient to pull over"?
Firstly, I wasn't hunting for a UFO. Second, The distance from that turn and Speedway gas station is 2 blocks, and I wanted a picture. 3rd, the camera was on my cheap Boost Mobile phone, and you can't just take a picture through the windshield. So, we didn't drive 2 more miles to get a convenient spot to pull over. I think you misinterpreted the scenario. From the time we first saw it to the time it vanished, it may have been a minute to a minute and a half.

Let's say you're driving in the city, you see a man running with no head. He's 2 blocks away. All you have is a cheap camera phone, and your sitting in the middle seats of your van. How do you get a picture before he disappears in 1 minute? You don't. It's almost impossible, if your not looking for it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

you are not alone...

I've seen 4 now...

its rough to tell skeptics...

hang in there...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

hi nrd101
bloody hell thats a wierd story
ur speeding away from the copper
wen he pulls u ur laughing about the ufo
the cops telling you to shut up
and ur passenger has warrant
sounds like the cops seen it also
very strange indeedy

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus
I think a lot of people who don't know any better see lights in the sky and instantly think they're in the "I've seen an alien craft club". I'm sorry, but most people don't know a helicopter or jet in the night sky from a "UFO".
edit on 15-8-2011 by Gannicus because: (no reason given)

what a ridicules statement to make..

you seriously think after decades of sightings.. its just people who do not know what an average modern mechanical machine used to fly looks like or behaves in flight?

you should have kept that statement to yourself...

you sound crazier than a "UFO" witness..

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What can I say! You're not alone! Lots of people have seen UFO or things they cannot explain but are too afraid of telling about it. I do not have that problem. My family, friends and even at work now about my hobby and the fact that I seen multiple UFO, During my tour in the Airforce as private as well. Perhaps it has something to do with the higher level of education how fast people are willing to accept the existence of UFO and are willing to discuss the matter in public.

Do not hide, be open about it and you will learn that there are alot more people who are dying to share their experience with you ...

Greetz,

Sander

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by A51Watcher

Originally posted by addygrace
If you've seen a UFO, please share.

Yes... on 2 separate occasions, which were amazing and far beyond the capabilities of Earthly technology.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

You mentioned "It was terrifying and exhilirating at the same time" which sounds like you judged it to be quite extraordinary.

I would like to hear more, from a readers perspective all I got was:

- it was huge. It was the size of a football field with 5 lights on the side. (...moving independantly but in unison.)

- It then vanished

So then - something huge hovering, with lights on it that then 'vanished'.

As in -poof- disappeared or zipped out of sight super fast?

Could you tell what shape it was?

Thanks
No I couldn't tell what shape it was. When we first saw it, it looked like a huge craft was hovering, but all you could see was the lights. As the experience progressed the lights were moving so my initial perception of it being as big as a football field, was wrong. I still don't know what I witnessed. It's insane really.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I usually think about 80% of UFO sightings are hoaxes.... but i strangely beleive you.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I know the uncomfortable silences when you mention stuff like this even to close friends. That Look, that says it all. Then you start with the self doubt, thinking maybe there was something wrong with me. Did I really see that.

I know what I've seen. It is thrilling, and terrifying. What only takes a few seconds, yet goes on forever, and you can never forget it, but you cannot even discuss it! Never. Unless someone else mentions it first, then you are safe.

One night I was relaxing in my home in front of the T.V. I saw lights reflect off the window like a car coming up the drive, but It was from the wrong side of the house. I went to the sliding glass door, and stepped onto the deck. In the pasture were three helicopters with lights sweeping the ground. I was confused, you see this on tv but not in the middle of nowhere like here. I wondered why this felt so wrong. Then I realized that there was no sound, no helicopter noises, no crickets, no tree frogs.

These were not helicopters. As I realized this, one of the spotlights traveled up the lawn toward me. Suddenly I was terrified, heart thumping fear surged through me. I ran for the sliding glass door, slipping through as the light reached me. I jerked the curtain closed, and stood there, too scared to even look through the curtain. Too afraid to even move, just trying to breathe.

A few minutes later, I moved away from the door. No lights shone in the pasture, or anywhere else nearby. I poured myself a glass of wine, sat again in front of my t.v. and hugged the remote until someone came home.

edit on 15-8-2011 by bloodnoir because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Aside from various studies saying that eyewitness reports aren't very reliable, I tend to think that as long as they're reasonably normal and don't have an agenda, most people are pretty good at observing things and describing what they've seen.

I can see where the saddest part of a really good UFO encounter (hopefully including visitors) might be when it's over, because that's the end of it. No more. Real UFOs are very scarce and rare, to the point where most people like myself have never and will never see them. Oh, sure there are odd lights in the sky. But I'm talking about things that are just mind-boggling and maybe shouldn't really exist in this reality. Something obviously beyond any Air Force Black Project that you could imagine.

They've all been described in the literature. Some have been hypothesized about. The really odd cases get tossed out because they're just too ridiculous and beyond the curve that people feel comfortable about.

Anyway, to see something extraordinary, then it's gone, never to return. That's has to be a sad feeling, not matter how much it scares the crap out of you at the time.

edit on 15-8-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I just want to thank everybody for their contribution to this topic. For the skeptics, you're right, there is no way to believe a story so amazing. But that's why I named this thread, "The Loneliness of Seeing a UFO". It's extremely lonely to witness this phenomenon. Just like somebody with a ghost story, or a near death experience, there is no unfallible science to prove what has been experienced. I love the fact, that I seen what I seen, but I've been looking for a story like mine ever since it happened. I didn't write my OP to convince a skeptic, aliens are real. I wrote my OP to let people who haven't seen a UFO know how lonely it is to see one. And the longing to see it again. My favorite hobbies in life are in someway all part of some kind of mystery. I seek the unknown, but why I don't know. Well this is the ultimate mystery. Terrifying but exhilarating. Believed by witnesses, concerning to friends and family, and ridiculed by skeptics. Par for the course. Amazing but lonely.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Wow, for somebody who has never seen a UFO, you seem to get the feelings that come with being a witness. I starred your post. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodnoir
I know the uncomfortable silences when you mention stuff like this even to close friends. That Look, that says it all. Then you start with the self doubt, thinking maybe there was something wrong with me. Did I really see that.

I know what I've seen. It is thrilling, and terrifying. What only takes a few seconds, yet goes on forever, and you can never forget it, but you cannot even discuss it! Never. Unless someone else mentions it first, then you are safe.

One night I was relaxing in my home in front of the T.V. I saw lights reflect off the window like a car coming up the drive, but It was from the wrong side of the house. I went to the sliding glass door, and stepped onto the deck. In the pasture were three helicopters with lights sweeping the ground. I was confused, you see this on tv but not in the middle of nowhere like here. I wondered why this felt so wrong. Then I realized that there was no sound, no helicopter noises, no crickets, no tree frogs.

These where not helicopters. As I realized this, one of the spotlights traveled up the lawn toward me. Suddenly I was terrified, heart thumping fear surged through me. I ran for the sliding glass door, slipping through as the light reached me. I jerked the curtain closed, and stood there, too scared to even look through the curtain. Too afraid to even move, just trying to breathe.

A few minutes later, I moved away from the door. No lights shone in the pasture, or anywhere else nearby. I poured myself a glass of wine, sat again in front of my t.v. and hugged the remote until someone came home.
What a scary story. It's odd how, when reading these accounts, I can put myself in their shoes. I can totally feel that situation you were in. Star for you. Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join