It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Then Than There Their They're

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
And yet, so many of those "idiots" have OPs infinitely more interesting than your own.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. It is a nerve grater for some of us. I'm really anal about my spelling and grammar, but at the same time, I'm aware that most of the greatest authors in history were horrible with their own spelling and grammar. How do you think editors came to be?

On a much stronger note, it makes me sick to see all the mistakes made when I'm reading news articles online! I mean, come on! Back in the day, they were sticklers for this stuff, but it's gotten to the point where the news source doesn't even seem to care anymore. They're losing so much integrity it's laughable, but if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

On a happier note, I've never seen anyone type the word ask and spell it a-x-e, so maybe there is hope.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stella Lotus

Originally posted by MJZoo
Your being picky.
You're

Originally posted by anumohi
And don't forget YOUR and YOU'RE , while your on the subject

I just love the grammar police

edit on 14-8-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

"While (you're) on the subject"

DUH

Geez some people are slow

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A member of the forum staff, BLA BLA BLA, has sent you a warning regarding your activity on the thread titled,
bla bla bla. Your have been warned 2 times.

YOUR??? WTF

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

A member of the forum staff, BLA BLA BLA, has sent you a warning regarding your activity on the thread titled,

YOUR??? WTF

What? That is the proper use of your. You participate in activities.... You are not not an activity.

so they are YOUR activities.

Or are you joking and it just went over my head again? I swear.... This is not a good week to tell me jokes for some reason.

That said, to the OP, not everyone has English as a first language here, so please,do not discount them just because they are not perfect with spelling or grammar.
edit on 14-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Get a brain moran.

Second line.

Not just the ESL peeps...at least they try.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

There is nothing more telling about a persons intelligence, and more irritating to me, than when someone ignores the meaning, and logic, of a persons post, and instead chooses to point out grammatical errors. Even if you are an expert in languages generally, or in the english language more specifically, you should realize that the grammatical details of a statement are, infact, the least important part of said statement.

It is the idea which the person is using the language as vehicle for, that should be given the most attention. As mature, thinking individuals, we should be able to look past such silly mistakes as replacing your with you're, and instead consider the meat of the matter.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There is no justification for "mixing up" these different words. It's just ignorance and laziness.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dagobert
I find myself immediately losing interest in what someone has to say if they can't take the time to double-check their spelling and grammar before hitting the post button. At the very least it makes me suspect the brain capacity of the person making the post. Typos in thread titles probably irks me more than anything (it's the thing that is going to draw people into what you have to say -- it needs to be perfect!), although an exceptional amount of exclamation points has much the same effect. I realize that there are people with disabilities that make it difficult for them to communicate in standard English, so I don't want to sound too harsh, but a spellchecker would be nice to use and a second glance over wouldn't hurt either.

--
Dagobert -- longtime lurker but first-time poster.

A great many geniuses have paid little to no attention to detail. Some people have far more imporant things to worry about, than to make sure every little thing they do is perfect. Though I'm not saying that the people authoring the threads you're talking about are geniuses, or people with important concerns.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
as long as i can understand what the person intended to say, i could care less how they say it(ie, i could care more if i cared enough to care at all).

quite the opposite of your view on it, i find that if someone has nothing better to add than grammar and spelling advice, they really have nothing to add at all. so their intelligence amounts to a fart in the wind as far as im concerned.

i know "God is in the details", but you need to be smart enough to question, what details?
there's an another old cliche that sums it up pretty well.... "cant see the forest for the trees"

edit on 14-8-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sorgfelt

Hi Songfelt,

I guess I'm one of those less inteligent posters since I never seem to be able to differentiate between then/than and to/too. I guess because I don't use a spellchecker and English isn't my native language but I always have to take a wild guess when it comes to using the correct form.

Maybe instead of complaining about it, you can take up the task of learning me a handy dandy way of remembering it in an easy way.

I agree that I also have difficulty seperating between the male and female form in French, is it "le avion", "la avion"....no wait it's "l'avion". Or german, man I can never get those der, die, das's right. Is it "der Kästchen" or "das Kästchen" or "die Kästchen"?

I won't even bother you with Dutch because that language really doen't make sense. Is it "de" "het" or "een"?

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

YOUR??? WTF

What? That is the proper use of your. You participate in activities.... You are not not an activity.

so they are YOUR activities.

Or are you joking and it just went over my head again? I swear.... This is not a good week to tell me jokes for some reason.

That said, to the OP, not everyone has English as a first language here, so please,do not discount them just because they are not perfect with spelling or grammar.

no thats what it reads
Your have been warned 2 times.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by renegadeloser
reply to post by anumohi

There is nothing more telling about a persons intelligence, and more irritating to me, than when someone ignores the meaning, and logic, of a persons post, and instead chooses to point out grammatical errors. Even if you are an expert in languages generally, or in the english language more specifically, you should realize that the grammatical details of a statement are, infact, the least important part of said statement.

It is the idea which the person is using the language as vehicle for, that should be given the most attention. As mature, thinking individuals, we should be able to look past such silly mistakes as replacing your with you're, and instead consider the meat of the matter.

hey I'm not dogging on anyone, i remember how it felt when i first started in forums on the net and the grammar nazis were all over me.

now the staff at ATS? Thats another story

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire

Sorg,
You equate the misuse of these words with a lack of intelligence.
El wrongo buberino.

Many here have English as a second language. Others have no skill in this area because they grew up in our modern day educational system that bored them to tears with it's inability to communicate the importance of learning these things.

Also many may just not give a rats patoote.

In any event, if I find the content compelling and honest I overlook the language weakness. If not, I just laugh at the moron and move on.

No excuse for misspelling and bad grammar. There are spell checkers in Firefox for form fields. No spell checkers don't fix properly spelled misused words in bad context.

Also, while you're reading a post and the person obviously has a grasp of the English language using complex words and concepts which they can spell perfectly, yet they deny you the reader, the common courtesy of not annoying you with misspelling. You can tell when someone's a native English speaker and is just being lazy.

IMO, the 'lack of intelligence' that shows is because the person simply has not caught on to the concept that they're on a message board filled with educated intelligent people, and continues to not 'give a patoote' thus lowering the bar for the general feel of the place.

I think it's rude to not check your spelling, or not to care.. it's as rude as bad, graffiti.

-
edit on 8/14/2011 by prevenge because: tyos .. laaaawlzzz

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

No excuse for misspelling and bad grammar.

Doesn't that include punctuation? You should read your reply, it's hilarious when look at the use of comma's and periods.

Just sayin'

Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Intelligence doesn't necessarily breed good manners and that is the real issue here, as you point out. Rudeness.
It's pretty easy to tell if someone is trying or not, so once again if I find the content compelling and honest I overlook the language weakness. If not, I just laugh at the moron and move on.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Intelligence doesn't necessarily breed good manners and that is the real issue here, as you point out. Rudeness.
It's pretty easy to tell if someone is trying or not, so once again if I find the content compelling and honest I overlook the language weakness. If not, I just laugh at the moron and move on.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I am not sounding to be good in English which isn't my first language. But people think its kind of a fashion and cool to sound this way which is really irritating and silly.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

wow it really gets under your skin? i must be superhuman with this rare ability to interpret whats meant to be said and it makes mistakes irritant free!
if you have time to correct someone wouldn't it be practical to explain why it needs corrected?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
English is not my native language. Still I'm pretty ashamed if I do mistake. Language (any) is your face especially at inet forums. Typos are happening, but some posts by native speakers are so crippled that the meaning is too distorted. Live languages aren't programming languages but still there is logic behind. Language is game and we can use it in very creative ways. First we have to study rules because there is no game without rules. Few weeks ago I read short story by Mark Twain: the language used was beautiful, it was pleasure to read it just for the language.

From other side: both my parents are working with language as professionals so I'm often too strict if I see some cumbersome texts. I know there is dyslexia and English is very difficult at spelling (but have almost NO grammar). Still: people should try harder.

I would be pleased if somebody try to correct my post :-). I have big trouble with correct use of prepositions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join