It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near on impossible to get a job around here..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I live in Hastings - East Sussex. A seaside town on the South east coast of England. Apparently an 'Economic Haven' (LoL). There are practically no available jobs around here. Any job vacancy gets bombarded with applications from long time loyal workers who have been laid off by other companies. That's not including all the other people like me who don't have an official 'On the books' job history that they can use for their C.V/References.

People like me are screwed.

So what's there to do when you can't get a job and there is near on no chance of getting one in the foreseeable future?

Employment Benefits (JSA) and/or Crime.

The youth can sense that they have no future and this is what is wrecking our culture and country. The idea of not having a future pushes the youth towards drugs, gang culture and crime in general. A kind of *SNIP* attitude.

I dread to imagine what it is going to be like for people leaving secondary school in the next few years.
edit on 8/13/2011 by semperfortis because: Profanity

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Start your own, self employed.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
All the help you need to set business up in Hastings

More help
edit on 13-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
i heard: "follow the money"

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
You gotta sell coc aine, marijuana, and others on the street in order to survive these days sadley.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I live in Hastings - East Sussex. A seaside town on the South east coast of England. Apparently an 'Economic Haven' (LoL). There are practically no available jobs around here. Any job vacancy gets bombarded with applications from long time loyal workers who have been laid off by other companies. That's not including all the other people like me who don't have an official 'On the books' job history that they can use for their C.V/References.

People like me are screwed.

So what's there to do when you can't get a job and there is near on no chance of getting one in the foreseeable future?

Employment Benefits (JSA) and/or Crime.

The youth can sense that they have no future and this is what is wrecking our culture and country. The idea of not having a future pushes the youth towards drugs, gang culture and crime in general. A kind of 'F**K IT' attitude.

I dread to imagine what it is going to be like for people leaving secondary school in the next few years.

I sympathise with you, I'm basically in the same boat North East of the country. I'm 44, no spring chicken anymore, I've applied for countless positions, only for the jobs to go to someone 20 years my junior. I've been thinnking of getting in touch with the Enterprise Allowance Scheme. It's basically government funded and you're offered a thousand pounds start up package to help you get started.. just waiting for them to turn round and shelf it as they've got no more coffers available to fund it. Good luck mate, good luck to everyone trying to find work in the UK these days.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo
You gotta sell coc aine, marijuana, and others on the street in order to survive these days sadley.
As well as steal, loot, rob. . . . basically take what isn't yours. As for selling drugs? Fail.
This type of justification is poor.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Same all over the country, One job i went for had 50 other applicants, it was only 1 position! This is in the middlands area, i cannot see the unemployment number drop in the near future. Our country keeps doing stupid things like selling our car industry away, an industry that used to be the back bone of the middlands, and now we've just sold our train building work away too, guess who, germany.

Any industry that has always had decent amount of jobs are being sold off left right and centre, and now as retail is dropping because of internet sales, 10 years down the line we will have next to nothing left.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
Same all over the country, One job i went for had 50 other applicants, it was only 1 position! This is in the middlands area, i cannot see the unemployment number drop in the near future. Our country keeps doing stupid things like selling our car industry away, an industry that used to be the back bone of the middlands, and now we've just sold our train building work away too, guess who, germany.

Any industry that has always had decent amount of jobs are being sold off left right and centre, and now as retail is dropping because of internet sales, 10 years down the line we will have next to nothing left.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

Im in the same part of the country mate. Thing is you just have to keep trying no matter how down you get.

Manufacturing has picked up loads, there are lots of jobs around west brom, walsall, darlastan and birmingham. They are nearly all agency, grafting jobs, warehouse labouring etc, but its better than nothing, and does not stop you applying for permanant jobs in your field whilst not getting demoralised back in the house.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
If I had a job where I made brass fittings for horse-drawn carriages, and my job was lost due to the emergence of the automobile, I would not whine about how I can't find a job making brass fittings.
I'd learn how to make cars.

I can bet that ANYONE here can name me a new industry for each one lost.
IT comes to mind.
Law enforcement.
Government (shudder) work.
Medical fields abound.
Agriculture (R&D)
Infrastructure, power, water, sewer.
Transportation.
Sales.
Animal husbandry.
Recycling centres.

And thats off the top of my head.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Here is what I have done in the past believe me it work's

1 Get a list of all the business in your area that you can get to transportation wise google works wonders for this.

2 Start Calling ask for who ever is in charge of hiring manager or hr director.

3 Make a note of who is hiring even if they say just accepting resumes go a head and do it anyways sometimes.

It does take time its but it works I proved to my fiancees brother once there were jobs when he tried calming there was not..
I found 3 in a week that may not be the case with you however if ya keep trying even check the hole in the wall places you got to be willing to work anything. Hope this helps!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I never understood why people complain about not being able to get a job in their area.

MOVE!!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Same in the North West mate - the small towns are a vacuum, the only real jobs are in the cities and there are literally hundreds of people all applying for the same positions.

I'm struggling myself. It's not fun.
edit on 13-8-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo

hes got a point, i work hard to support my familly and all ive got for it is a council house and a second hand car. but i know of a few people that sell drugs who drive around in new 4 by 4's and the police do nothing

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
its the same everywhere mate i was lucky to get the job im in now and looks like any new positions are being filled with eu workers.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I never understood why people complain about not being able to get a job in their area.

MOVE!!

As easy as that sounds, some people can't just 'up and move' to follow the job vacancies. I'm currently caring for my elderly parents who are reliant on me to help them on a daily basis. I help out with the part time baby sitting of my 7 month old grand daughter, because my daughter who is returning to work next week, only gets so much child care. Not everyone that is out of work has the chance to 'Move'.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by smash_the_system

MOVE!!

As easy as that sounds, some people can't just 'up and move' to follow the job vacancies. I'm currently caring for my elderly parents who are reliant on me to help them on a daily basis. I help out with the part time baby sitting of my 7 month old grand daughter, because my daughter who is returning to work next week, only gets so much child care. Not everyone that is out of work has the chance to 'Move'.

You can get government financial help for caring at home for elderly relatives.

Go see the benfit office.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Originally posted by smash_the_system

MOVE!!

You can get government financial help for caring at home for elderly relatives.

Go see the benfit office.

Thanks for the advice but I've already looked into that. My parents recieve the basic state pension plus my mum gets attendance allowance, I get a small part of that for the 'carer' side. I rang Age Concern but they no longer offer a free service like they did in the good old days, now and it's a Private company and you have to pay for any 'in home' help. It's basically a catch 22 situation.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I work for the Australian Federal Government in the Dept of Ed, Employment and Workplace Relations and sit at a computer all day, very cruisy and spend quite a lot of time on here and the net in general. I could easily tell the OP to stop his whinging and whining and get off his a$$ and just get a job, because look at ME, I can do it so can everyone else.

But I have a lot more sympathy for people in this position than some of the people on their moral high ground. I find it equally as pathetic when it is some fat pig sitting in a comfortable office on a high salary who whinges that they can't lose weight, but don't dare challenge these overgrown hypocrites because it would not be politically correct.

I just wish the OP the best because I have been in that position before and it is not easy. Certainly try to expand your horizons if you can. Sometimes when we are feeling despondent and discouraged, and certainly when stressed, we have trouble thinking more broadly and strategically. Information can prompt ideas, goals and motivation, so in the meantime while looking for work, try looking around at different information in your area with regard to employment and study (it is is within means) to plan and build a pathway to employment.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
its the same everywhere mate i was lucky to get the job im in now and looks like any new positions are being filled with eu workers.

Just to say thanks for making me
with your signature mate. Could do with a laugh! Everywhere you look and it's just doom n gloom! So thanks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join