It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near on impossible to get a job around here..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by smash_the_system

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Originally posted by smash_the_system

Originally posted by unityemissions
I never understood why people complain about not being able to get a job in their area.

MOVE!!

As easy as that sounds, some people can't just 'up and move' to follow the job vacancies. I'm currently caring for my elderly parents who are reliant on me to help them on a daily basis. I help out with the part time baby sitting of my 7 month old grand daughter, because my daughter who is returning to work next week, only gets so much child care. Not everyone that is out of work has the chance to 'Move'.

You can get government financial help for caring at home for elderly relatives.

Go see the benfit office.

Thanks for the advice but I've already looked into that. My parents recieve the basic state pension plus my mum gets attendance allowance, I get a small part of that for the 'carer' side. I rang Age Concern but they no longer offer a free service like they did in the good old days, now and it's a Private company and you have to pay for any 'in home' help. It's basically a catch 22 situation.

Sometimes the government will subsidise catering companies and the like, so your parents could get cheap meals delivered (they are ready to eat but healthy) and able to select from a menu weekly, it is very cheap because it is subsidised. Look in to that to cut down costs.

I don't know it if is all over the UK but it is in some areas for sure.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
There is always that option people think about least.

Ask on the street for help, beg. If you are honest about it you will be supprised how many people know how to help or can help.

In the UK there is a program for getting jobs called Step Stone I think where they essentially subsidise a company to employ you, ask at the Job Center about that.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I never understood why people complain about not being able to get a job in their area.

MOVE!!

Pompousity at its finest!!! without a job and limited resources

1. what if you are in a lease?
2. what if you own house and can't sell it?
3. what if you can't afford the move in expenses (deposit, utility set up, first month rent, etc)

It is usually those inflicted with 'Stockholm Syndrome' by the elites that spout sheeple bantor..

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smash_the_system

I'm not in the UK so adjust for whatever in that case. I'm in the same boat as you as far as age. I was laid off two years ago and haven't been able to find a job. Gone on several interviews and when they meet me most never call back. All the people I interview with are at least 20 years younger and you can see on their face that they don't want an "older person".

I know it is difficult but I decided to make my own job. I started a cleaning company. Done it all my life so why not sell it. It has taken two years to build up but I now have 11 regular customers and gross about $2700 month usd. Have one person working for me.

Even with the economy bad there are people who still have top paying jobs and want help with the messiness of everyday life. It's not my favorite activity but its something I know how to do and can do well. Networking with friends has actually brought most of my customers. I also offer a discount to existing customers if they find me new customers.

Figure out what you know how to do and go sell it. Its not easy but it is doable.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I live in Hastings - East Sussex. A seaside town on the South east coast of England. Apparently an 'Economic Haven' (LoL). There are practically no available jobs around here. Any job vacancy gets bombarded with applications from long time loyal workers who have been laid off by other companies. That's not including all the other people like me who don't have an official 'On the books' job history that they can use for their C.V/References.

People like me are screwed.

So what's there to do when you can't get a job and there is near on no chance of getting one in the foreseeable future?

Employment Benefits (JSA) and/or Crime.

It is actually like this in America also. My husband has been unemployed for over 7 months. There aer literally hundreds of tousands of college graduates comming into the work field with no available work. We, him and I ar broadening our search to wold wide. We feel desperate. We was once a middle class income family, it all started looking good in the late 90`s early 2000`s, then in 07 when the economy started falling and people loosing theri jobs, my husband stayed stable until february 2nd of this year, I feel like this current political system has pulled the very groun out from under the middle class americas. Which by the way is about 80% of Americans.
Personally I want to drive to washing dc find a camp ground to situate into and then stand infront of the white hosue holdign a sign ( havent decied exactly what it woudl say) hoping other americans in our situation would join, I am working on my unemployed husband ot help me get there and achieve this. I feel I have him about 60% willing right know. Im serious.

The youth can sense that they have no future and this is what is wrecking our culture and country. The idea of not having a future pushes the youth towards drugs, gang culture and crime in general. A kind of *SNIP* attitude.

I dread to imagine what it is going to be like for people leaving secondary school in the next few years.
edit on 8/13/2011 by semperfortis because: Profanity

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

i smell a Revolution coming in England the British Gov can deny it all they want, seeing how bad it is in England, here in canada its pretty worse

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

MOVE!!

Pompousity at its finest!!! without a job and limited resources

1. what if you are in a lease?
2. what if you own house and can't sell it?
3. what if you can't afford the move in expenses (deposit, utility set up, first month rent, etc)

It is usually those inflicted with 'Stockholm Syndrome' by the elites that spout sheeple bantor..

What if you're too dumb to solve easy problems

Not my deal, buddy.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Really People can't just MOVE. I have been trying to find work for 9 months now, got a job for a month, got laid off due to not enough work (cleaning hotel rooms. If no rooms are available, then you don't work), so now I'm praying to get a job at a fast food place making minimum wage. RIght now I have 20 dollars USA to last me and my 16 year old son til/IF i start working and get my first check within a month's span. This means he can't get any supplies for school at all. Period. None. I can give him a pencil and maybe a few old bills to write on the back of for paper. I'm NOT exaggerating one bit here.

Yet you're saying to move. My rent right now is 300/month and we only eat cuz of food stamps which i HATE being on as I have worked since 1989 (min wage fast food so no bank account, obviously. I'm in school online now getting my bachelors. Not that that matters. I'll graduate and no jobs for anyone in any field so ill have a bachelors and have to repay loans in the same min wage job til maybe 4 years down the road maybe the eco picks up and all us grads will finally find work. Things are just going to get far worse. More homeless due to the school loan people taking ones house, car, etc.

What's the point of getting a degree when you still have to work min wage jobs? And how can one move to a new location if they have 20 dollars, 100 dollars to LIVE on and need it for bills etc? Blinded thought is blinded.

Though I wish it were that easy. lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
make guns and sell them door to door, black power pistols are easy to make and making the powder is even easier

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

having had the limited ability to remote view myself and being knowledgeable in vedic astrology , I will say one thing Beezer , most things you and i do are predetermined . not everyone has the blessings of Jupiter and Pluto. or have either of these exalted .

everything in this universe is for a reason , whether predetermined or free will .Free will does not work in wealth mostly , unless you are a worshipper of chaos or have managed to please angelics/deities/ascended spirits or demons

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I live near manchester, got a 2:1 degree in computer games design a couple of years ago.

Was unemployed after that for a year and a half, applied to countless companies and not just ones related to my degree but factory jobs, administrator jobs, shop work, anything I could find.

Took me a year and a half to actually get a job and it was working in a warehouse, but it was only for 6 months.

Now the 6 months is up I am back unemployed but it was tough then but now it's just ridiculous.

I am now begging games companies to give me freelance work that I will work on for free just for the experience, after writing to over 50 companies only 1 has given me work that I will work on for FREE.

Things are really tough out there and is only going to get worse, I just dread to think what the future holds.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

maybe i could help .. but i will need your birthdate

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear your plight friend and I wish you the best.

I know someone else has suggested this and has been summarily shot down so instead of suggesting you simply "move" I will give you some information you can do with what you want.

At the moment the two large USAF bases in my area are absolutely screaming for local nationals. From jet engine engineers to cleaners and everything in between. Employment with USVF (United States Visiting Forces) are very secure and well paid.

If it's an option for you, hit Google with "Local National Direct Hire."

Best of luck buddy.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Sorry I've been away for a while today, Saturday's visit day to catch up with family here.

JennaDarling - thanks for your helpful advise. I don't know about this 'meals on wheels' business. It was available years ago to most of the aged. Thought they'd stopped that a long time ago though due to cutbacks with the local councils. My parents have money for food, it's just that my mum isn't so good on her feet now at 77, so I sometimes go and help cook for them.

Unityemissions - you're lack of 'compassion' shows that you're not in the same boat/situation as me, so don't be as free to 'judge' as you seem to do. I wish life was as easy as you make it out to be. Reality proves otherwise.

Space Monkey - I know where you're coming from. I've been on endless business courses over the years, have qualifications (sometimes think that my CV is over qualified) Worked as a freelance journalist for the local newspaper, been Chief Ed for a newspaper franchise, I paint portraits and landscapes, but as much as I've tried to get into the 'market', it's fruitless. Can't even sell my paintings as there are cheap print/canvas shops here now - who's prepared to pay £35/40 for a painting when they can get the same thing in print for half the price? Though I will keep trying

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Amassuo
You gotta sell coc aine, marijuana, and others on the street in order to survive these days sadley.
As well as steal, loot, rob. . . . basically take what isn't yours. As for selling drugs? Fail.
This type of justification is poor.

What is wrong with selling drugs?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Should have bailed out of the UK when CCTV cameras started appearing everywhere. Duh?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join