It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge: Name a Single Law That Has Solved A Problem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by mnemeth1

I know of no State where guns are banned and the second amendment says nothing about restricting or regulating them. Only that you may own them.

That's another debate however but regardless I met your criteria for a very loaded question.

surely you joke

try every state in the US via this ...

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban
source and that's just the beginning.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Oh yeah, tall buildings can be very dangerous, especially in 13th-century Italy. Just look at the 180-foot Leaning Tower of Pisa.

well, 13th century and still standing ?? doesn't appear to be a 'problem' ... at least not for Mussolini and others over the years.

edit on 13-8-2011 by Honor93 because: format

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

then someone needs to pick up the placeholders and get on with some problem resolving cause it's not exactly forthcoming via the law structure to which we are subjected.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I knew this thread would be hijacked by shills. The premise of the op is an interesting one if and only if read by honest, reasonable individuals not subject to successful brain washing propaganda or corrupted by astroturfing entities. Sadly, the scum will resort to garbage like: "the patriot act is a collection of magnificent laws that protects our freedoms". Then he/she/it will login with a different account and cheer for that fallacious dribble. Ats should check for multiple accounts from the same ip address and end the goddamned trolls.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Without the law of gravity we'd all fall off the planet dude. Now that would be a major bummer.

OK the Eskimos would not fall... but the rest of us would.
edit on 13-8-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

What about the Lemon Law.. It dictates that if your sold a Lemon (Federal Means anything Mechanical) Then the manufacturer legally responsible for repairs to the consumer's vehicle or goods if it breaks before the Warranty expires.. The problem was they were selling lemons and the law makes them pay for it. Problem solved with Law.. Now you might say it still happens. Sure it does but because of the law you can take them to court where they will also pay your lawyers fee..

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The no mask law in Louisiana solved the problem of
racists anonymously terrorizing African Americans, Catholics, and Hebrews.

David Grouchy

edit: Though there is an exception now for the burqa, but apparently no self respecting racist has decided to revive the clan if a black bee-keeper-suit is what they will have to wear.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There is a law on the books in the city of Buffalo, New York which states that "You may not herd livestock in Niagara Square in front of city hall." And as luck would have it, nobody does. However the traffic is ridiculous at times.

edit on 8/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: lord please help me learn to spell

edit on 8/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

So you only think by yourself if you're stoned?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have a question on my own:

Name a single society without any laws that doesn't look like a third world dump, and where murder rape and plunder aren't a daily occurrence !

Frankly, I'm missing the point of this thread. I could name a million examples where laws have solved problems. Without a modern judicial system you'd probably be someones property and perform slave labour.
edit on 13-8-2011 by H1ght3chHippie because: typo

edit on 13-8-2011 by H1ght3chHippie because: more typos O.O

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I haven't seen any slaves being sold. So you could say the emancipation proclamation solved the problem of slavery.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash
Without the law of gravity we'd all fall off the planet dude. Now that would be a major bummer.

Your actually serious with your responce?

The Eskimos would fall too.

Some people just don't get it.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by kn0wh0w

How the hell can your challenge still stand when I answered it with a correct law. Just because I blew up your thread in the first five minutes is no reason to change the rules.

You didn't... answer his question... Your answer falls under "redundancy." Why, because the constitution permits firearms... and so you now have 2 laws permitting firearms.

The problem you stated was not the underlying reason for the law to exist. You don't understand the question.

This is a trick question. The only answer is "NOTHING and NO LAW." People are people, and crime is crime, laws are guidelines and they do not eliminate behavior. This is the very principle of why the "war on drugs" doesn't work...

edit on 13-8-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob

Originally posted by trailertrash

Your actually serious with your responce?

The Eskimos would fall too.

Some people just don't get it.

The eskimoes won't fall... because... they are on the top of the planet? Is that the logic being employed in that statement?

Who the "F" says something like that? That person needs to go back to kindergarten.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The seat belt law in California, or is this nationally,I don't know, I think that law has saved lives, statistically. Gotta run or I'd find the stats.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
I haven't seen any slaves being sold. So you could say the emancipation proclamation solved the problem of slavery.

Really? Because "you" haven't seen it? Human Trafficking exists... it's not just "Black" people anymore, it's all people.... it's also not for racist reasons... it's for greed.

It happens in the U.S.

Human Trafficking = Kidnapping people against their will and selling them to an owner. I.E. Slave. They usually use them as prostitutes or organ donors...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Problem: Handicapped people cannot get into public buildings under their own power.

Law: American's with Disabilities Act; building code is ammended so entrances are accessible in public buildings for that segment of the population.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
The seat belt law in California, or is this nationally,I don't know, I think that law has saved lives, statistically. Gotta run or I'd find the stats.

It's also killed people. Nor does this apply to the question.

The question is "What law has ELIMINATED it's reasoning."

I.E.

There is a cause and effect.... the effect is bad and you don't like the cause... so you make a law making the cause illegal. How many laws have ELIMINATED their cause.

The only answer again... is none. No matter how many laws you have people will still break them... and as such, the cause will inevitably repeat itself. I.E. Seat belts. While it's against the law to not wear one... people still don't wear them... Me included.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
In Ireland the workplace smoking ban has solved the problem of workers inhaling second hand smoke in the workplace

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

First we have to really define the word "Solved" and "Problem", because they can mean many things.

Now I would agree in part with your comment about laws solving problems because they don't actually solve the problem but deter it.

Take for instance a Sociopath, even though their are laws it does not stop one from killing mercilessly, but the laws do say that if someone commits an act against humanity they should be punished. Is this solving a problem, no but it deters the problem from taking place, in the future.

So with that it is a temporary "Solution" to a larger problem.

So is anything really "Solved" in a dynamically changing world?

No, because solutions mean different things to different people, societies, cultures, so the original question is one of semantics.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join