It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IPCC 'May Have' Misled Media Over Mark Duggan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

uk.news.yahoo.com

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has admitted it may have mistakenly given "misleading" information to journalists in the wake of the Mark Duggan shooting, it has emerged.

More to follow...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/8/11 by moosevernel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is breaking news at the minute.

And wow. I wonder what they could have 'Misled' about and why they are admitting it... seems strange to me. I will be watching this very closely.

It seems to me that nothing is straight forward in the shooting of Mark Duggan and something definately seems to be amiss...

uk.news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

I wonder what they could have 'Misled' about and why they are admitting it

Of course I could very well be mistaken, but didn't they already admit to "misleading" us into believing an actual shoot out had taken place between Duggan and the police? Something we now know is false...

This being what they mean when they say they misled Journalists in the source you provided.

Keep watching Sky News if possible, I haven't followed it a great deal but I know they've been discussing this story quite a bit today..

edit on 12-8-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Of course I could very well be mistaken, but didn't they already admit to "misleading" us into believing an actual shoot out had taken place between Duggan and the police? Something we now know is false...

This being what they mean when they say they misled Journalists btw.

Keep watching Sky News if possible, they've been discussing this story quite a bit today..

Well firstly the police said there was a shootout, then the ipcc said no evidence could be found of shots fired from his gun, then the police man who said there was a shootout denied saying that there was one......now this

something definately does not add up at all

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Isn't it becoming more and more commonplace to find that what the authorities say to justify their actions hangs in the air like a bad wind?

Good find!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

This being what they mean when they say they misled Journalists in the source you provided.

Keep watching Sky News if possible, I haven't followed it a great deal but I know they've been discussing this story quite a bit today..

If my memory is right they previously said they didn't understand how the press had got the wrong end of the stick with the story that the officers had acted in self defense. I can't remember where I read this now, but the author of the article I read sounded annoyed and said they needed to know exactly what the source of this wrong information was.

Perhaps pressure has been put on the IPCC.

edit on 12-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel

uk.news.yahoo.com

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has admitted it may have mistakenly given "misleading" information to journalists in the wake of the Mark Duggan shooting, it has emerged.

More to follow...

I'm not sure what the 'may have' is in there for. They know what they have told the media, so either they did or they didn't mislead - mistakenly or not. There shouldn't be any 'may' about it, imo.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Okay just checked sky news and found this longer article (yahoo news workers sure are lazy).

Breaking News 5:29pm UK, Friday August 12, 2011 IPCC 'May Have' Misled Media Over Mark Duggan 102 Comments The Independent Police Complaints Commission has admitted it may have mistakenly given "misleading" information to journalists in the wake of the Mark Duggan shooting, it has emerged. Mark Duggan Mark Duggan was shot and killed by police in Tottenham The body admitted that it may have inadvertently led media organisations to believe that Mr Duggan, who was shot dead in Tottenham last Thursday, fired at police first. The 29-year-old was travelling in a minicab when police apparently stopped the vehicle and the incident occurred. Mr Duggan's death sparked riots in the centre of Tottenham over the weekend, which spread to other areas of London and then cities across England earlier this week.

news.sky.com...

Well it certainly adds to the confusion of the whole affair. It is also confirmed that the bullet lodged in the radio was police issue.... How in the hell did that happen? Police wear thier radios on thier chest so how in the hell did one police man manage to shoot another in the chest,,,

this smells of the police trying to frame Mark Duggan but being caught out by the IPCC

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Isn't it becoming more and more commonplace to find that what the authorities say to justify their actions hangs in the air like a bad wind?

Good find!

Exactly, that is why i disbelieve 99% of waht the authorities say and am naturally skeptical about everything they say, they cannot be trusted.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

i did not hear that but thanks for bringing it to our attention...pressure by whom?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

completely agree, they either did or they didnt, and obviously they did or they would not have released this statement in the fist place

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm sure all of this mis information between the IPCC and the media, is being used just to cause tensions between the police and the communities in and around Mark Duggans area. The night of the riots and on the ticker at the bottom of Sky News it stated that Mark Duggan didn't shoot from a weapon and that he was shot at first. It's like lighting the fuse to a bomb!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smash_the_system
I'm sure all of this mis information between the IPCC and the media, is being used just to cause tensions between the police and the communities in and around Mark Duggans area. The night of the riots and on the ticker at the bottom of Sky News it stated that Mark Duggan didn't shoot from a weapon and that he was shot at first. It's like lighting the fuse to a bomb!

yeh, you have to wonder what the agenda is behind the misinformation, could be the police shot the guy unlawfully and tried to cover it up to protect thier asses...i think thats the most logical situation in my mind

Then when the riots happen i think the government secretly wanted to encourage it for thier own ends, people calling for drastic measures and the government to save us from the rioters, even some people calling for all rioters to be shot dead on the streets...

Just what our facsist dictator leaders wanted to happen imho

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think more and more people as the days go by after the riots, are slowly 'cottoning on' to what the agenda here really is. Now and you're suddenly seeing this all over the TV, almost like a smoke screen to an even bigger agenda. Sky News are now being accused of being Riot Sympathisers because theyr'e stretching the debate out to not just the victims, but to the accused. What motivated this? Why did you loot? Then there's some bloody Chief Commissioner watchin the clip and saying 'he applied for a job at Comet - Got him!' Seriously, if the police have to rely on news reports to catch the looters, it's a sorry state of affairs. David Cameron was in Manchester today to thank the Fire Services and the Police for their relentless efforts. If he'd have been a bit more realistic on Tuesday evening and not sent so many forces down to the Capital, it might not have been like a scene from the Keystone Cops! Sheesh!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The police very well could have planted a gun on this man. You never know. It has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan with American troops dropping AK47's on unarmed civilians that were killed.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yea he was shot in the face...not the heart.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

yeh, you have to wonder what the agenda is behind the misinformation, could be the police shot the guy unlawfully and tried to cover it up to protect thier asses...i think thats the most logical situation in my mind

Then when the riots happen i think the government secretly wanted to encourage it for thier own ends, people calling for drastic measures and the government to save us from the rioters, even some people calling for all rioters to be shot dead on the streets...

I actually agree with the first part of what you said then.. but the second part is, well, I'm not so sure at all really...

First off, yes, I think It's actually quite possible the police simply made a mistake here and unlawfully killed Mark Duggan, someone already known to the police, at this point though we don't know the full details and as far as I'm aware, more tests are currently being carried out to determine exactly what happened. So yeah, assuming they did make a mistake, someone, or a group of individuals involved certainly could've attempted to cover it up to save themselves from retribution... something we can only speculate on.

But I can't for the life of me understand why the government would be involved in the cover up and then go to the trouble of further ruining our already fragile economy by letting riots, ones no one could have anticipated, to occur and then escalate to the scale we saw - such as occurring in different parts of the country and to an already quite severe scale. I mean the government is blamed for everything bad in this country, and I mean literally everything, but letting this happen? Really?..

I'm not buying it. It makes no sense for the government to want this to happen really. Sure some will say It's so they could implement further rules to keep us trapped etc. etc., but come on, is that really what's happening here? Sorry, but I just don't see it. These things unfortunately do happen and they can happen on their own. A governmental body doesn't have to oversee everything for it to be a possibility.

What happened, as far as I can tell, is nothing more than a set of unfortunate circumstances, ones come about because the people are frustrated already, particularly financially, and this was a way to vent that built up anger. That partnered with idiots looking to simply cause chaos for the hell of it or to steal what ever they could - and no one can deny there was a fair share of that occurring here, we've all seen the images and videos.

Sure, the government could be involved and they very well may be, I can't deny that myself.. It's always going to be a possibility, but In my most humblest of opinions I feel It's quite far fetched to say the least. It just makes no sense.

Me thinks this government, or any other government, get's by far too much credit for the things that happen in this world. People seem to forget that these things (the riots) unfortunately do happen and they can happen on there own.

Just an alternative opinion of mine that I feel needs to be shared is all..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As soon as the riots broke out, the pigs who killed Duggan should have been handed over to the rioters so that the mob could try them as they saw fit. That is how justice could have been served, and the damage would have been kept to a minimum at the same time. Not only that, pigs would be thinking twice next time before murdering in cold blood.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I wonder what they could have 'Misled' about and why they are admitting it...

The IPCC statement said: "Analysis of media coverage and queries raised on Twitter have alerted to us to the possibility that we may have inadvertently given misleading information to journalists when responding to very early media queries following the shooting of Mark Duggan by MPS officers on the evening of 4 August."

Conceding it was possible it had issued information suggesting shots were exchanged, the IPCC added: "This was consistent with early information we received that an officer had been shot and taken to hospital. Any reference to an exchange of shots was not correct and did not feature in any of our formal statements, although an officer was taken to hospital after the incident."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
As soon as the riots broke out, the pigs who killed Duggan should have been handed over to the rioters so that the mob could try them as they saw fit. That is how justice could have been served, and the damage would have been kept to a minimum at the same time. Not only that, pigs would be thinking twice next time before murdering in cold blood.

Who let you out?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

i did not hear that but thanks for bringing it to our attention...pressure by whom?

From the media. I wish I could recall where I read this, but it seemed as though the IPCC was saying they couldn't how the media had reported that the police had acted in self defense...I'm paraphrasing here, of course. The journalist who wrote the article sounded very annoyed - because apparently the info had come from the IPCC or other police official sources. It looked as though the IPCC was trying to cover itself by blaming the media. That was my impression when I read it.

So, I'm guessing that some representatives of the media may have taken the IPCC to task about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join