It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assuming the word “god” is a job title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Assuming the word “god” is a job title and not a name:
genesis 1 – god (no name) make everything
genesis 2 – the lord god makes everything again? (note the name >LORD< )

that looks like two different gods to me, but I was thinking about my school days and I remembered from my school assemblies there was a phrase the head master seemed to use for months – “jesus is LORD” it was like a mantra for this guy, any way I remembered there was a “The LORD” in the bible (note all capitals) and no “god” part added

For example
(god)

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

god no name

(the LORD God)

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens

the LORD God (also odd wording here, “in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens”?)

(the LORD)

Malachi 2:13 And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand

the LORD (no god bit)
or

2 Kings 19:35 And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses

the LORD (no god bit)

So 3 different gods?
God (no name) gets 7 days to make everything but the LORD God only gets 1 day?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

the LORD God (also odd wording here, “in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens”?)
Right, only one day to make heaven and earth, because all (whoever) did was take the ocean and lift some of it up to make a dome or something and heaven was whatever was above the remaining ocean, and below the dome (or whatever contains heaven).
The earth just became exposed because part of the ocean which had previously covered all the earth, was removed to create the boundary of heaven.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Dear racasan,

If God is the beginning then who could give him a name? If you were the only sentience, what name would you give yourself. I like Jaime, it sounds lie a name and sounds like "I am me". Funny isn't it?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
How many names do you have? Most US citizens have 3, often used in different combinations. Then there's the nicknames, and the online names, and the names we call ourselves on games. Oh, and a social security number.

So, the guy has a bunch of names. It proves nothing on how many of him there is.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Mankind has (amongst other things) two characteristics; we're talking monkeys and we don't like the unknown.

So we give names to the unknown, and (praised be the flying spaghetti monster and the great noodle master) it's not unknown anymore, but known.

So everything is honky-dory and people can sleep peacefully at night, because they now are guarded over by the flying spaghetti monster and the great noodle master against the enemy.....the low-grade-oil-and no basilika-demon.

All hail Eris and the great noodle master.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

I don’t know about this – consider how fussy jews are about the name of god – that whole G_D guess the letter thing they do

But you think when Moses was writing this stuff he was in some kind of getting to know you Robert-bob-bobby phase with god – ok

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If I’m right it does add some interesting changes to the genesis story
Consider

Genesis 11 4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

(the tower of babel)

6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

And this “the LORD” character shares the same bug up tail pipe as “The Lord God” from genesis 2 about humans learning and evolving

Or

Genesis 22 1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

(god no name)
But just in the nick of time

11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
me12And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

The angel of the LORD?
Remember it’s the angel of the LORD saying this “now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from >me

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by racasan

Right, only one day to make heaven and earth, because all (whoever) did was take the ocean and lift some of it up to make a dome or something and heaven was whatever was above the remaining ocean, and below the dome (or whatever contains heaven).
The earth just became exposed because part of the ocean which had previously covered all the earth, was removed to create the boundary of heaven.

Cosmological evolution. Not by the "hand" of any supernatural consiouss dictator.

new topics

top topics

join