It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God? *Yawn*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
My major problem with the three major Western religions is they are not focused on humanity. Judaism, to a degree, is, but in the end it all comes back to worshipping an unseen, and pretty ticked-off, power. Christianity and Islam the same, humanity is the slaves, the priests, the underlings, the children of an unseen power. I know all the arguments for the evidence of God in rocks and trees and steaming piles of doggie-doo (both of my grandfathers were preachers and my parents still froth at the mouth over religion), but that argument doesn�t mean much. I could make an argument for the wonders of Googlenuts the Extra-Terrestrial Gigolo using the same evidence. Basically, religion keeps people dumb. If something bad happens, you sinned, or the devil did it; if something good happens God has blessed you. Don�t bother to realize that sometimes you get things because you took the responsibility to work for them, and don't bother to recognize that when something bad happens you screwed up. There is no evidence of God, and there is no evidence He isn't there. I say don't believe in God, but believe in your own power to control your life.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
lol

Is that all you could come up with? Come on you can do better then that. This is elementry garbage.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Ever taken a debate class? Hell ever spoke to an actual human being who wasn't a conspiracy/UFO/X-Files/just-got-probed nut? The most basic arguement is the strongest. There is no evidence for God, or against him, but I beleive in the power of individual human beings to be the gods of thier lives. Again, basic; basic Nietschke.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Your just like the other aethist nuts out there. But you could not come up with any real proof, just silly answers. I will always follow my religion and belive in God.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Where did I say I was atheist? I never claimed God did not exist. In fact, said the evidence goes both ways. I just advocating putting your faith in yourself, not in some possibly imaginary power. Jesus, where do these people learn to read?????

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Sometimes even simple is not enough. Remember, you are challenging people to think, and they've all been programmed not to. Even most of the people on here, who are grasping at things the rest of the public shuns, most of them are just mimicing what is put before them. Truly thinking frightens them. There are too many questions, and not enough answers.....

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Waw religeous forums got its own little world with its own dedicated members who never even venture outside of it.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hitler took Nietzsche's works as a philosophical guide that provoked the bloodiest,most nauseous war in history driving an antheistic world view to it's conclusion.
Hitler said:""I freed Germany from the stupid and degrading lies of conscience and morality....
We will train young people before whom the world will tremble.
I want young people capable of violence- imperious, relentless and cruel.''

"""Youth of the Apocalypse""and the last true rebellion.....

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Farsight.

Maybe if you ever took a history class, or any class that teaches you what the Bible means and where it came from.

You'd understand how much of an idiot you are expressing yourself as, in this statement.

Judaism, began as any other religion, though it emphasised morality and nationality (something no other religion ever did and still does not do).

It would later change at about the time of Jesus, to also preach in helping eachother (as there were very poor jews, and very rich jews, this barrier was then broken).

Christianity rose, also preaching the same aid. It further preached "Charity, brotherhood, and love".

As far as Islam goes, just a different interpretation of the scriptures, of who the "messiah" is, of what G-d's name is.

Pretty much though besides the way they pray there is little difference.

Don't be a fool, learn your history.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
"Don't be a fool, learn your history."

That is pretty damn funny since I am a history major in college. And a study of history has shown me nothing in relation to evidence for God. And you showed nothing to refute my point. And you failed to mention the creation of Islam was more than likely a shrewd political move by Mohammed to drag a bunch of goatherders and shady merchants out of third place in the race to walk upright in the Middle East.

Judaism may put more emphasis on the individual, put it still looks to heaven with calf's eves. My point was simple: believe in yourself because God may not be there.

And now to the moron who felt the need to remind the world of another of Hitler's perversions. Nietzche used violent words and imagery to make people think, a rare thing in any age. Hitler took the words literally. As he did with Nostradamus, as he did with the works of Richard Wagner, as he did with the Bible. Do I really need to keep going?

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   
You're right, there is no evidence either way. Only faith, be it in a higher power, or yourself...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Look at this way.....we'll find out when we die.

Either you belive, or you don't. Pretty much cut and dry.

No need to seek out answers or discover things. It was written ages ago. The Bible.

Christain have been persecuted all their lives.
Tyrants used the Bible and GOD's name to get their way.

The inquisition.......don't confuse the two. You can know about GOD or you can know GOD. Peace.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Good point USP. I doubt we'll find an answer in this life. If there is an afterlife, we'll find out after.

If I cannot prove there is a god, I will not believe there is a god. If I cannot disprove there is a god, I will not believe there is not.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by farsightedthirdeye
My major problem with the three major Western religions is they are not focused on humanity. Judaism, to a degree, is, but in the end it all comes back to worshipping an unseen, and pretty ticked-off, power. Christianity and Islam the same, humanity is the slaves, the priests, the underlings, the children of an unseen power. I know all the arguments for the evidence of God in rocks and trees and steaming piles of doggie-doo (both of my grandfathers were preachers and my parents still froth at the mouth over religion), but that argument doesn�t mean much. I could make an argument for the wonders of Googlenuts the Extra-Terrestrial Gigolo using the same evidence. Basically, religion keeps people dumb. If something bad happens, you sinned, or the devil did it; if something good happens God has blessed you. Don�t bother to realize that sometimes you get things because you took the responsibility to work for them, and don't bother to recognize that when something bad happens you screwed up. There is no evidence of God, and there is no evidence He isn't there. I say don't believe in God, but believe in your own power to control your life.

i agree with what your saying, the thing that facinates me is science cant explain everything, even simple things such as how does a bumble bee fly, its wings/body weight ratio/strenth dont constitute it being able to fly in in the laws physic's, yet be darned it bloody well flys, the parranormal for instance science rarely explains certain aspects of that... it is indeed a mad world.... responsibility for your own actions is what its all about...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by farsightedthirdeye
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Ever taken a debate class? Hell ever spoke to an actual human being who wasn't a conspiracy/UFO/X-Files/just-got-probed nut? The most basic arguement is the strongest. There is no evidence for God, or against him, but I beleive in the power of individual human beings to be the gods of thier lives. Again, basic; basic Nietschke.

Well Honda wasn't thinking that when they made my car.

When explaining something or really desiring to understand something, you must not simply discard it by only looking with one view. Have you ever taken the time to seek proof?

Look at this way.....we'll find out when we die.

Either you belive, or you don't. Pretty much cut and dry.

No need to seek out answers or discover things. It was written ages ago. The Bible.

Christain have been persecuted all their lives.
Tyrants used the Bible and GOD's name to get their way.

The inquisition.......don't confuse the two. You can know about GOD or you can know GOD. Peace.

Pascal's Wager could come in there. I've heard people talk about how religion is so bad and responsible for things, but many of the REAL religious people are not the ones responsible for murder rates and assaults.

Science can't explain everything. That's why there is faith. Even with proof, not all the pieces are still there and apparant. Never stop asking questions and seeking answers. That's how you'll get to the point where you really want to be.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Trotsky.........I dislike even debating about having faith in Christ. But if you read the Bible that is proof enough if you are willing to fill the void. I have accepted many things........but when it comes to Christ, it comes fromwithin you. Not your nieghbor, not school. WITHIN you. You accept him or you don't.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Oh, I agree completely. I was just adding in some ideas that have been expressed to me. I agree totally with what you've said, however that doesn't mean that there is no evidence for Christ.

top topics

join