It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about introverts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm introvert by nature but that those not stop me from being anything I want to be, if it serves a purpose.

I tend to have an "anything is possible" mentality.

Peace

edit on 12-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I stay away from superficial (and thus insignificant) people.
I prefer silence. It's Much more nourishing.

edit on 12-8-2011 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Maybe not "Introverts" , maybe just Deep thinkers......

Notice one thing re: the replies......The True "Deep Thinkers" dont have the unnecessary, flashy, avatar thingos.

Just normal, unobtrusive, understated......deep thinkers......

Adam Ant, your a fullon Extro young person, check out your wild id thingy!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I am “introvertely” extrovert…
I speak my mind all the time and some time there is nothing in my mind.

Ps. I never liked boxes.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Great post! As an introvert i can say that for the most part that was a good assesment. The two last points i would disagree on however to some degree.

I am an extreme adrenaline junkie even though being introvert. Usually all the exciting sports for instance are considered extreme sports.

And to change from introvert to extrovert is quite easy. ADHD drugs for instance will do this to some degree, some more than others, and on some more than on others. It has to do with the dopamine pathways as you mentioned, and therefore amphetamine and especially mdpv are the most notable in producing this change.
edit on 12-8-2011 by varikonniemi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As with most posters here I'm introverted, too. I greatly appreciate being alone in nature. I like confined spaces, they feel safe. Often times when around other people (especially people I don't know well) I feel as if I should be saying or doing things to keep the encounter "normal." As a child I was excruciatingly shy and would often do things to avoid public exposure or anything that brought any attention to me. I strongly dislike attention, especially praise.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Dystopiaphiliac because: grammar

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nice article that paints introverts like myself in a different light. I believe our society is geared towards extroverts (and type A personalities) and would have a lot to gain from balancing itself out a bit with introversion. But not too much or else we become like China or something lol. Extremes on either end isn't healthy for a nation.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Nice list.

Extroverts - seeks external stimulation for motivation
Introverts - motivated internally.

We all need a little introversion at times and also some extroversion at times. We are who we are and it will always be a struggle to maintain that perfect balance.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9Milz
im an introvert but also an adrenaline junkie

I can appreciate that one dude. I am incredibly introvert and proud of it. I'm brutally honest and pretty blunt in conversation.

I do love a good rollercoaster though. Went to Busch Gardens when I was younger and fell in love

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
list described me quite well but I already knew I was introverted. I like a few others here love the adrenaline rush though.

Here is something funny for you all to do, when someone says you dont talk much, respond "Or do you just talk too much?" the look on their face is usually priceless, but laugh while you say it so they dont think your a complete a-hole

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

Love that page, I stumbled upon it as well.

Linky

I consistently float between INTP and INFP. Depends on mood.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You are what you are, If people don't want to know you because they think your dull, then it's their loss not yours.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Great post as I believe more introverts should be aware of their potential. To many time's do I see people discredit themselves because society tells you to act a certain way. I am too an introvert, but like some others in this thread I would not be considered an introvert by my colleagues or even some of my peers, in fact they would consider me to be the opposite of this. My father is an introvert but being in a split family I was never able to spend much time with him, so I grew up around majority extroverts. I live in the Philly area where we are loud and boisterous, and have no choice but to maintain a similar level of "obnoxiousness", especially in the work place. I have no problem reaching this level, and maintaining it throughout the day, but to say it is exhausting is an understatement.
I have begun to realize that my career choice, as well as my location is not conducive to my personality type or overall happiness in life. Hence the reason I am, and many of us I am sure, are constantly searching for something "more", something natural, someplace that I can truly call home. I drive two hours a weekend just to set up camp for one night in the wilderness away from everything....to me there is nothing better than some peace and quiet out in the elements, with absolutely nothing around, but that and/or those which I want there.
One of the greatest abilities we as introverts have is the ability to look inside logically and self reflect. This is something that very few extroverts have the ability to do, if any. Extroverts tend to believe everything they say and are told is true, and they leave very little room for outside interpretation.
The comment that introverts can or need fix themselves to become extroverts is humiliating. This is not fixing by any stretch of the word...why would you ever want to change who you are for anybody or anything? The word that can be used is adapt. I have adapted to my settings, and circumstances in life, but that has not and will not change who I am as a person. Unfortunately you can only compromise with yourself for so long, before the realization sets in that compromise does not bring happiness, and happiness to me is success in life.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

To me, this was the most profound statement.
I have always been intelligent, but too stupid to be myself. I just wanted to "fit in", to be "accepted",, I wanted friends!
The older I got, the more I was compelled to be myself,,,thus the lonelier I became.
The whole "intelligence/introvert" thing is spot on,,,its so hard to have a "good conversation" these days.

edit on 12-8-2011 by consigliere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I must admit that being introverted can sometimes make me a little rude. My boss once commented to me one morning that it was a lovely day and so on , to which my response was "Spare me the bonhomie, I'm not your pal; you pay me to do a job so leave me alone to get on with it." Amazingly he didn't fire me. It's just how I am. Outside my family there are five people I consider to be my friends and everyone else can bugger off and leave me alone, and if they don't, I tell them. Those who know me know this and would never dare to be so bold as to try to engage me in smalltalk. I'd only grunt and walk off if they did.
edit on 12/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: Grammar

link   
I also am an introvert. My wife is borderline extrovert. She craves social interaction while I prefer a good documentary at home. I have very few genuine friends. I do not like crowds, so it's usually a dilemma when the kids want to go to a theme park. I am often told I am too quiet. I am a dreamer, an entrepreneur and deep thinker. That list pretty much describes me to a T. I find the jabber jaw socialites very annoying. I often feel awkward when having conversations with someone I know nothing about. I feel pressure to keep the conversation going. However, if you touch on a subject I am interested in, you will see my passion shine through. Problem is, not many people these days actually think for themselves. Too caught up in what snookie is doing or who Brittany Spears is f***ing these days to have an original thought. It's very difficult to exist in a world where originality and deep thought are considered a bad thing.

link   
Woah, funny to see how many that are introverts.
Personally, I have never heard about it, and when I was looking through the list, I laughed. It all sounded very familiar .
So I guess I'm an introvert

Allthough I cant stand when someone is talking, and no one answer them, I feel I need to answer, so I do. And that has caused me a lot of annoyed days.

So please, if you know any 'introverts', don't talk so much! It feels likes stress in the end of the week. And, dont think that the person will come and tell you that you need to shut up. I don't :p

Good thread

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Wow S&F. now I need to send this to my GF so she doesn't use my introvert against me

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

Wow...that is awesome. It describes me to a "T".
Second

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would like to add that balance is the key to managing an introverted lifestyle.

I am extremely introverted at home and extremely extroverted at work.

At home I want to be alone and quiet so I can meditate, reflect and think. I never go out to bars, shops, out with friends and if I do go out I prefer to be alone.

At work I manage a busy coffee shop and I am Mr. Personality connecting with hundreds of different people every day. As quick as the customer interactions are they are still personable and one on one with full attention to the individual customer. I also have to stay elevated and enthusiastic to inspire my team and keep a positive constructive environment.

When I get home I have a glass of rum and smoke a joint and relax, alone. Maybe some classical or mood music. No television, no radio, just the quiet hum of my laptop.

Balance.
edit on 12-8-2011 by sdocpublishing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join