It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about introverts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

S &F for you my friend. A similar article was published last year in the US version of Psychology Today. I am an introvert and am proud to be so. Let the Yakkers keep on yaking if I have something to say well fine in not no biggie.

Hell is a cocktail party. but my wife loves them...

life can be tough

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this information. A lot of the time people judge me as "pretentious" or "stuck up" when really I just don't feel the need to speak my mind 24/7 like they do. I pick and choose my conversations and just like the list says, it's usually one person at a time.

I think I'll print this off and carry it in my back pocket from now on. That way when someone thinks I'm being "aloof" I can just hand it to them and say "this is me."

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentience365

I am an introvert and I find this a very good post. All of it is true.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Well, I never would've pegged myself as an introvert, but there is not a single aspect listed there that does not apply to me. It's like reading a horoscope that describes you exactly.

Rather than calling myself an introvert, I have always and wil continue to refer to myself as a geek.
For the record, however, Geek is NOT the same as nor is it interchangeable with Nerd. These are two totally and completely different things.

Besides, you know the saying.
” The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth”

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
All of those things in the list are very true. I prefer to be real and honest and that rubs most people the wrong way. Oh well. The time spent in thought is better than the time spent socializing. Most amazing discoveries come from people who spend a lot of time deep in thought and research. There is only so much one can do, so if you free up more time to think then you can get more done in the mental. I am definitely the outsider amongst my friends. They are all very social.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hmm, maybe i'm an introvert then. Though I was convinced it was aspergers after doing all the online tests.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

Starting to worry now, this checklist sounds like me . . . . .

I have never come across any item that enabled me to throw myself into a stereotypical box quite so quickly lol, i better be quiet now, i have said too much .

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I'm not introverted, I just tend to stay away from people

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I am an introvert as well - and try and stay away from people in real life - computer boards are fine, I thought it was aspergers as well looking online, definately would have been labeled with that as a kid -- in this label every kid with a condition UK
edit on 12-8-2011 by blackcat99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I choose to be an introvert because most extraverts are full of # and I don't like #.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

thanks for this post, really liked it and im a bit of most of those except the thrill seeking and adreniline junkie. i dont actively seek them out but i do enjoy them and do take risks.

might post this on my facebook page and then my friends might actually get me lol

Originally posted by 9Milz
im an introvert but also an adrenaline junkie

yeah sounds like me as well and a few other introverts i know are like this. but mind you i dont ACTIVELY seek out these activities but if i do them i enjoy the adreniline rush.
edit on 12-8-2011 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Very interesting thread, thanks OP for the info.

It all rings true to me and I am happy to be an introvert!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
I was always considered shy as a child, but it turns out I'm an introvert.

In your case it must have happened as a result of the isolated lifestyle you had to take on while hiding out, after your "big jump".

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Yeah, this is me too.
One comment I always get if i am out in a big group of people is ' your very quiet'.
Got that one just last night in fact. Next time i'm in a big group i may have to get in there first - 'Your a big gob#e who never stops yakking'
On the flip side, if I do try to engage a group in conversation and steer the topic away from - latest purchase/ earnings/ celeb gossip/ etc, all I get is ' God thats a bit deep innit?'
A bit deep.....

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Nice thread OP.

And yes, it's all true

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Amazing, this list describes me almost perfectly. Some of the myths listed were actually complaints from every single one of my girlfriends. I don't like to go out, love nature, have exactly 4 people I consider "friends", love museums, hate nightclubs and loud bars, love quiet bars, and daydream like crazy. I don't say much and am known as a man of very few words, until the subject of race cars or medicine come up.

But...I am also a thrill seeker. I love pushing a fast car to its limits on a race track.
edit on 12-8-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Nice post!

I always feel i don't fit in. I often experience that most people do not understand me, and i get really annoyed because I know they jump to conclusions about me and jugde my behaviour very quickly. They find me weird, and I don't even try to be. I can pretend to a certain point, to be like the extroverts. I was an alcoholic for about a year where I was forcing myself to be social with people. To be accepted. To fit in. It made me physically sick. I also struggle with anxiety alot, worriyng my self to death sometimes. I am not paranoid, but i have had too many bad experiences with trying to be a social person amongst several people. I have to be drunk if I am going to have a smooth sailing with a big group of people I don't know. Unfortunately, I always am prepared for the worst when i have to meet and greet a new person. But when I get to know them and when I find them ''good'' its not so bad. But gawd.. there are a lot of jerks out there..too many in fact..

Someone made a thread a while ago about coping with todays world and i replyed with this: (if anyone is interested) How do you cope? I sometimes feel incredibly lonely and think the world we live in is horrifying and devastating. Don't get me wrong, i know there are good corners on Earth, I just.. observe, experience and do alot of thinking along with researching and coming to my own conclusions all the time.

I have very few good friends. I recently deactivated my account on facebook, because it became too much for me. The people that were supposed to be my friends, were not real friends. I came to the point when i eventually told them what my work was all about, and they started to talk about me behind my back and jugde me in a totally new way. It feels like I lost them, and they hate me for something they don't even know a lot about. And after deactivating my account I figured, if they really appreciate my friendship they can pick up the phone and contact me in the good old fashion way. And yes, it feels lonely - but for me it's better this way, then i can use my energy and appreciate my few, really good friends when i meet them. And also, have more time to write my book( I call it my ''text'', don't want to be like Brian in Family guy, we'll see what i make of it in the end) The most important thing for me at this moment in life is to have something important to do. I don't want to die only leaving pictures of me really drunk and stupid

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I like being introverted, most extroverts speak a lot but actually say very little. I hate small talk, I just cant be bothered with it. I have always been accused of being quiet, by family and friends, it's just half the time I don't do inane chat. By people who don't know me my quietness is sometimes interpreted as arrogance. It doesn't really bother me. It certainly makes life in the workplace a little more difficult, if you cant get involved with office banter and politics, but I don't go to work to make friends I have plenty already, who I have actually chosen, not forced to be with.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This is a good post/thread.

Althoug I don't appreciate labels at all...
That list describes the whole lot of us. (myself included)

But it seems that I have adapted a more introverted lifestyle in recent years.
Probably because I realized how programmed people are to think that what they emulate from the TV is a way of life, and in reality its the complete opposite. More like a copycat ideal. Definitely unoriginal.

Introvert. Hmmm....
Well the list is pretty a accurate description of me today. (I have dramatically changed)
I enjoy being by myself these days.
Mostly because everyone I used to associate with are still in a deep slumber.
They still believe what the TV feeds them.
Whereas I have become more awake/aware...(thanks ATS!)
And I refuse to let a blatantly obvious control mechanism dictate my life.

Awesome post, and remember all you introverts...

You are not alone.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

s+f
anyone can answer this for me what im i then
with me its all or nothing
does this make me both
intro and extro

edit on 12-8-2011 by philware because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join