It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about introverts

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
I'm to mercurial to be labeled either way.

Being Bipolar, I can get away with being both at the same time. Try that on for size. Being a Taurus also helps.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by xPico

Hahaha, true dat
Well, i am gonna think about this for a while and hopefully come back with a solution and how we can create this awesome society

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm an introvert, my husband an extrovert. He has to always be at a concert or sporting event while I hate the crowds and confusion. I am most happy at home with family enjoying quiet times. I loved looking at this list. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tamaransd

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I am INTP and my wife is ESFJ and we actually mesh quite well. I guess opposites really do atract

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Same here. Even if I do go to an outing I end up "people watching" anyway. And I have a blast. But I always would of prefered doing something at home.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think our society praises extroverts over introvert's forcing people to act differently than they naturally feel. Basically extroverts get their energy from other people and the outside world. While introverts prefer to get their energy from deep thought within.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by evolv

The sheep of the world have to have a leader and even though an introvert have a better idea they will usually be overshadowed by the extroverts assertiveness

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Totally ME !! , thanks for this

Now I feel more proud to be this way.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thank you so much! Describes me perfectly!!
I've always been amazed that I'm called rude by people when I won't stop reading to
tell them WHAT I'm reading (look at the front cover idiots!) and what it's about!! lol

Oh and I'm an INTP as well....figured there'd be alot of us here at ATS!

edit on 8/16/2011 by SmokeyDawn because: added info

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by creatureme

DITO, I find those pics on Facebook of friends always out of their heads on drink, drugs etc.... foolish.

The most important thing for me at this moment in life is to have something important to do. I don't want to die only leaving pictures of me really drunk and stupid

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
From this link is a list of famous introverts, bet there are thousands more:

theadventurouswriter.com...

Famous Introverts — Actresses * Candice Bergen, actress, writer, photographer * Ingrid Bergman, actress * Ellen Burstyn, actress * Glenn Close, actress * Audrey Hepburn, actress * Helen Hunt, actress * Diane Keaton, actress * Grace Kelly, actress * Jessica Lange, actress * Laura Linney, actress * Gwyneth Paltrow, actress * Michelle Pfeiffer, actress * Julia Roberts, actress * Meg Ryan, actress * Meryl Streep, actress Famous Introverts — Actors * Clint Eastwood, actor/director * Harrison Ford, actor * Tom Hanks, actor * Sir Alfred Hitchcock, film director * Jack Lemmon, late actor * Bill Macy, actor * Steve Martin, all around talented guy * Noah Wiley, actor Other Famous Introverts * Johnny Carson, former Tonight Show host * Jane Clayson, host of CBS Morning Show * Matt Lauer, co-host on the Today Show * David Letterman, host of the David Letterman Show * Diane Sawyer, co-host of ABC’s Good Morning America * Barbara Walters, host of 20/20

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

I love the way that the typical persona of everyone on your list generally always comes accross as inteligent and dignified. Thanks for the link

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Good find and some interesting reading. It's amazing what people will attribute to people that they 1) judge someone visually and 2) don't really know them.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting read.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As an introvert myself, I have to say that is pretty straight on. My dad used to always tell me, "A closed mouth is a wise mind." I think this may have contributed to my introversion, but I don't necessarily regret it. I must say that an introverted person isn't as likely to have as many date or to get married as an extroverted person is, but that is the price that one pays for that life style.

I get so irritated when there is a mass murder or something of that nature, and the first thing the culprit's neighbors say is, "Oh he/she was a loner, really weird." What? So, if a person is a loner or an introvert that means their potential for violence goes up 10-fold? Bull#....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I must say that an introverted person isn't as likely to have as many date or to get married as an extroverted person is, but that is the price that one pays for that life style.

Quallity is to Quanity as Introvert is to Extrovert

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I read a great book years ago on innies and outies. Doctors, and professionals categorize introspects as if they are ill or need treatment, yet for years, pschologists, have mapped the brain and done some big studies.
Roughly 26-27% of humanity is consistently born introspective, as I am. The brain chemistry is completely different for an outie and an innie. They've mapped the thought paths and the chemicals used. Outies, have the feel good chemicals when they're in crowds, and its a short path to express themselves. Innies, go into Fight or Flight Responses, and are overwhelmed by those same brain chemicals, and need to prepare ahead of time for outings, then rest up and replenish themselves from wtihin, for a days afterwards, or they can break down, its overwhelming.

Outies tend to think that innies are not observant and out of it, in gatherings, because they're quiet. They're very wrong. They have a different path for their thoughts, it goes through a more complicated route to the frontal lobal, and through centers relating to sorting, analyzing and memory. The biochemicals employed are those in elderly patients, relating to memory, so they are not "out of it", but cross referencing all the information they are receiving and connecting all the dots, and anlalyzing deeply. In fact, they are called the master analyzers, and planners. When they do speek they usually blow the others out of the water with their deep thoughts and connections.

It was a really good book, I can't find it currently online. But I highly recommend it to anyone. My children are also introspective, and I shared much of that with them so they would accept themselves and develop their strengths early on.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This is going to sound like a weird question, but do you happen to remember what the specific biochemicals were? I'm asking because I'm researching something that is somewhat related to this. Also, what was the name of the book that you were referring to?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by DrChuck

Ha! My now ex-boyfriend broke up with me for the same reason. I definitely have my moments of outgoing-ness though. Once I am completely comfortable with someone, my quirky side surfaces. But, for the most part I am a quiet person. Noise bothers me quite a bit. Tried going to clubs with friends in the past....didn't work out so well. I like to hang with people either one on one or a small intimate group in a fairly quite atmosphere. I find that after being out and about for only a few hours, it takes even longer for me to recharge. I can't wait to lock myself in my apartment and just chill. Also, I hate small talk and I use to work in retail. Customers always want to chat with cashiers. I just want to do my job, ring up their # and send them on their way. And I hate when people tell me I NEED to come out of my shell! Introverts are so misunderstood, it's not funny.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam
reply to post by Unity_99

This is going to sound like a weird question, but do you happen to remember what the specific biochemicals were? I'm asking because I'm researching something that is somewhat related to this. Also, what was the name of the book that you were referring to?

Isn't it dopamine that intros are very sensitive of? I think so, but could be others. Also want to know the name of the book please!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
As an introvert myself, I have to say that is pretty straight on. My dad used to always tell me, "A closed mouth is a wise mind."

Also, when you think of "foot in mouth" ... 'a closed mouth gathers no foot'.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join