It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is my Karma So high?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Why is my Karma so high compared to other members that have been here for years when i have only been here for a month?
Do you start with a standard score when you sign up or does it start at 0?
How do ATS determine your Karma?

If anyone can enlighten me to any of these question i will be most grateful and might even slip in a little S.

Thankyou

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

to be honest...i have no idea how it works lol...i see the question asked all the time...but nobody really seems to have a straight answer lol...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Interesting question, I noticed something similar and wondered myself.

However, I have decided in these trying times never to question good karma!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Karma is a function of your total number of posts and how many S&F's they receive.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

ok so here i guess is ur answer..

Karma explained by Skeptic Overlord

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I was under the impression that there was a group of psychics who judge your karma level by reading all your posts.. I could be wrong though.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Here's the description of how Karma works:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As many have noticed, a new "KARMA" parameter has been added to the mini-profiles... and perhaps because of some of the comments in this thread, I moved-up the integration plan a bit.

First... the "WATS" score. I know many believe there to be some controversy or at the least, unfairness, in the method of calculation for the "Way Above Top Secret" ranking. The concerns/comments/ideas have not been ignored, but since the intent is to apply a heavy statistical weight to those who start threads, I believe the oft-discussed formula serves that purpose well, but may be refined as a result of the KARMA rank in order to place a much higher value on flags.

However, there are lots of members who contribute well, but may not start many threads; the KARMA score is for them. The karma calculation places a high weight on stars, a secondary weight on staff applause, and a tertiary lesser-weight on Flags; then compares all that against the number of posts. So that it is indeed possible for a new member with few threads, but great ideas in lots of replies, to achieve a higher "KARMA" than long-time high-WATS members.

Okay... I know what you're thinking, "This can be abused."

Any system can be gamed in one way or another. However, since the new calculation is based on a combination of factors that includes the input of staff applause, it won't be easy.

So enjoy your Karma while it lasts. Tomorrow, a new person may join whose awesomeness whips yer but.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Its something of a calculation with your posts vs your flags/star counts...

I dont really know either... :/ oh well

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm new here and I have no idea what you are talking about. Where does it state your karma? And what purpose does it serve to give karma ratings to forum members?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hippo45

its the "K" rating under your name, under peoples avatars...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well, if it works like that then karma is a bitch to me. Oh well.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
These are my observations:

When you have 100 posts, 50 stars, 0 flags, and 0 applause, you have 10 karma.
When you have 100 posts, 100 stars, 0 flags, and 0 applause, you have 20 karma.
When you have 100 posts, 150 stars, 0 flags, and 0 applause, you have ~25 karma.
When you have 100 posts, 200 stars, 0 flags, and 0 applause, you have ~32 karma.

It's this really strange equation that factors in flags and applause with some percentage of weight when compared with stars. It would be very interesting if somebody could eventually crack it one day.

top topics

join