It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of Laying Hens is CRAZY almost up to $50

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I raise hens for some pocket money... Here is a link to a company that is charging up to $50 per hen!

prices of hens is getting expensive $ look

There is still places where you can pick up hens for a bargin.. I hear even roosters are getting expensive at farmers markets...People want chickens for survival and I think the prices are getting nuts.

I educate and train my customers as most people are new to chickens and can easily be taken advantage of.. for example lots of farmers sell you "egged out hens" or hens over 2 years old.. the best egg layers are the ones that are just starting to lay....(my hens are no more than $3 to $25 ) but $40 to $50 is crazy..

What are the prices in your areas?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Theyre about 4-10 dollars a box in NA of 2 dozen

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo
Theyre about 4-10 dollars a box in NA of 2 dozen

I do not mean chicks.. A full grown hen sells for more than chicks.. Is this what you meant?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

i ment eggs, i dont think everyone is looking in the market for chickens on the regular

ETA: but thanks for the tip, i will buy chicks instead of the grown ones if i ever get anything then.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Amassuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Here in Missouri you can buy young layers for 5.00 each, where are you?
Second line

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Your the first businessman that I have ever heard complain about the price of their product sky rocketing which would mean huge profits..

It's a shame these greedy elites and corporations are not like you.. The world would be an easier and better place to live..

edit on 11/8/11 by Misterlondon because: Spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

What part of the country r you ?
In rural areas still 5.00 hen. Apeoximately...
The feed has went up 2.00 since spring though....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Ex battery hens are cheap, like $5-10 for a pullet in Australia.

They're often not the best looking but that's a good thing IMHO, give some of these poor birds a bit of dignity.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

yeah...here in IL they are around the same 4-5 bucks.

McMurrays has them for 13.50.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
one of my old employers was buying them at 50pence each from battery farms. They were very motheaten and threadbare, but after a couple of months of outdoor living were producing a LOT of eggs. I was buying a dozen big fat free range eggs for £1 off her.
If i ever get my own land, thats the route i'm taking.

Rhode Island Reds (which is the same type of breed as a battery hen) sell for approx £11 from free range sellers, so there is a hell of a markup for the more 'organic' seller. I don't think that the general public realize they are able to buy ex battery hens .

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I can't imaging paying $50.00 for a hen unless it was laying golden eggs.

In my part of the woods you can buy an 18 count carton of eggs at Walmart for only $1.86. That breaks down to .1033 cents per egg. To break even a $50.00 hen would have to lay about 489 eggs. When you add in the cost of feed, & maintenance it is hardly worth the effort.

I have Rhode Island Reds that I paid $5.00 a piece for. That is about all I'm willing to pay for hens. I am still not really saving any money, but I like the idea of my own free range hens and eggs.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Your the first businessman that I have ever heard complain about the price of their product sky rocketing which would mean huge profits..

It's a shame these greedy elites and corporations are not like you.. The world would be an easier and better place to live..

edit on 11/8/11 by Misterlondon because: Spelling mistake

Thanks and no, I am not complaining.. but I do not like price gouging like some companies do....I can actually make a little money now over the cost of feed. (mine are $15) each

Not the $30 to $50 per 10 week old pullet is a little high in these tough times. If only people helped each other rather than thought of their back pocket. I am in Texas, we are having a historical drought and heat to boot.

Oh yes! You bet! I can get huge money as I have lots of chickens, its EASY to take advantage of someone. But I could never do that. How do greedy people and selfish sleep at night? I much prefer the relieved and happy and grateful look on customers faces as they leave with their much sought after hens....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa

Here in Missouri you can buy young layers for 5.00 each, where are you?
Second line

I am in Texas.. its almost desert now.. the whole state. Oh, and all those chicks that sell for $.050 to $3.00 each?

Most people new to chickens do not now hot to care for them.. LOTS of people new to chickens lost some, most or even all before egg laying age... Some people are better than others.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
In So. Illinois, i Bought my hens for five dollars a piece already laying (red star)
My old hens (leghorns and rhode islands) bought about 5 years ago were $8-$10, so the price for me actually went down (different seller)
Most laying hens going around here for $5 to $7, roosters can be gotten for free. i keep an eye on-line for when my current birds stop laying, the local Rural King sells unsexed chicks in lots of 25 birds (also turkeys, ducks, and guineas), but i never need 25 birds.
My fancy black silky bantams were $8, but i got them from a person who "shows" birds... Feed goes from $10 to $20 for 40lb/50lb bag depending. i buy all natural feed so it's around $15 for 50lbs and suppliment with my garden waste (over ripe tomatoes and such). Keepin' me and the neighbors in fresh eggs, when it's time for the "pot" i give them away as i can't butcher any of my girls (but i can let someone else do it, food is food).

i don't know where you is at... but here $50 would only be for birds bred for shows

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Did you read the page title to the site you were on???
those are "Pet" chickens... not livestock...

in the spring (April) you can walk into any feed store and buy chicks for a couple of bucks each... never just buy one... chickens are a very social animal and they need company or they will leave and go find other chickens...
A full grown hen runs about $8 bucks each... better to buy chicks as many breeders are not going to sell you they're best layers....

what is crazy it what they charge for scratch, chicken feed... one store has a $50 lb bag listed for $20!!!! now that's crazy

Current prices for good lying hens

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Rural N. Ga here...between $4-8 per hen. $2 for chicks. Or you can get 1 doz fertilized eggs for $8 and hatch your own.

I'm in the market for goats right now...man they have shot up like crazy here. Piglets are the cheapest farm animal up here going all over the place for between $35-40 each. I'm looking at a breeding pair of goats. That will run me at least $400. for them.

Des

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think I will just have to play it safe and invest in a bucket of chicken from KFC.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Did you read the page title to the site you were on???
those are "Pet" chickens... not livestock...

Current prices for good lying hens

My post is about HENS not chicks.. and you would be their next SUCKER..

newsflash ****** All hens are livestock.. (Folks.. theres one born every minute! ha ha!)

You can make a "pet" out of a hen and charge more for those that THINK THERE ARE "PET CHICKENS"

I know CHICKS are everywhere for less than $5 I am posting about the LAYING HENS.... if you look at the breed of hens they are the same kind in the barnyard...
Oh, I forgot.. these are P-E-T HENS

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hey DaddyBare have you made a thread about raising your own hens and roosters yet?

If so please link, I'd like to read it. Your survival threads are a great resource.
edit on 11/8/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hey DaddyBare have you made a thread about raising your own hens and roosters yet?

If so please link, I'd like to read it. Your survival threads are a great resource.

I never wrote a chicken thread per-say but I do have a story about the Community Chicken project run by the good folks over at "Mother Earth News"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join