It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ghost real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Its a very common question, I know. I ask because I was watching "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" the other day and the topic was...does time exist.

What does this have to do with ghosts you are not doubt asking yourself. Let me explain. There are theories that time itself does not exist and that it is something that we created to basically keep ourselves from going crazy and to mark events. So if time does not exist, then the past, present and future either 1) doesn't exist or 2) all exist at the same time.

We know that the past and present exist because we know what happened 5 mins ago, 50 yrs ago, etc. Obviously the present is happening as we are living in the here and now. The future is a bit murkier because every second becomes the present.

Now to the question...if past, present and future all exist at the same time, could ghosts actually be people from the past who have become "unstuck" in time and are able to communicate with the "future" which is actually our "present"?

I think this is possible. thoughts?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Because the universe is infinite and that the 'ghost' phenomena could be explained through both supernatural means and superior technological means (ie. holograms), and also through human perception and subsequent misperception of events, there are a plethora of different ways of theorising the phenomena.

But even if ghosts still exist, does that mean they are real?

What is real? Everything you can prove exists? But you can't prove everything right?

It's a crazy world!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

it sure is a wild world we live in. and when you start to think about theories like time, quantum physics, string theory, etc this world get even crazier.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Of course!!

As real as you and me typing on this forum.

Back in 86 me and my g/f were at this grave yard
by the upper peninsula of mich. on halloween
just being goofy, listening to music, when the radio shut off
then a tall dark looking women ran by us,
and we both saw this so i;m not crazy.

We got out of their quick.
So yes they are

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yes, ghost are real.
See:
[image]http://www.atom.com/blog/files/2009/10/ghost.jpg[endofimage///]
edit on 11-8-2011 by Mr Headshot because: proof

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Your no past theory canceling out ghosts should be redefined as canceling out residual ghosts since intelligent ghosts are believed to be living in the present. I think what people assume are ghosts are nothing more than demons - this is in regards to both residual and intelligent ghosts as defined by Ghost Hunters.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Bleeeeep because: edited sentence for clarity

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
ghosts are real. I saw my grandma in my room. she was a ghost.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am pretty certain that TIME does exist. At least in our dimension the physical realm.

Why ?

Because everything in our existence oscillates at it's own unique frequency.

The earth orbits the Sun once a year. Your heart beats every second or so.

Electrons orbit Atoms at a specific rate and speed up or slow down due to temperature.

These are all examples of periods or rates of oscillation.

Time is a measure of a duration.

Ghosts being comprised of energy are not bound by the physical realm as we are.

Like leaving the earth, you are no longer bound by the earth's gravity and are weightless weighing a fraction of what you did on earth.

If you were still growing, in a weightless environment, you'd grow taller as well due to the lack of gravity.

The same applies to ghosts and why they can walk through solid objects.

What else can pass through solid objects ??? Electromagnetic energy, as in radio waves.

Ghosts are simply biological electrical energy...very similar to radio waves.

This is why they are able to interact with our electronic devices. Because they themselves are a natural radio signal of sorts.

I myself have seen ghosts and there are way too many accounts of others encountering these entities.

They are not necessarily all bad or demons, but in most cases a person who has business they would like to

settle.

You can't see the air that your breathing but does it mean that it doesn't exist ?

What about the signals entering and exiting your cell phone....you can't see those either....are you still able to make phone calls ?

Understanding electronics really helps to understand this phenomenon simply due to the fact that you get used to working with something that you can't readily see , as in electricity ....but it certainly does exist.

The same applies to ghosts....and they are all around us.

edit on 11-8-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

HAHA i literally did a LOL

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
OP, I don't know. Our experience with a ghost: Our last house was 20 years old, in Kansas, and in a rural neighborhood. Nobody had ever died in that house to our knowledge. Yet, not long after we moved in (we were the second family to live there), my son who was only 3-4 at the time, started to tell us he was seeing a ghost. He said it was an old man who spoke a different language. Of course, we didn't believe him. But, things started to happen in the house. We had this yard light out back by our dog kennels. The switch was in the garage. We would turn it on at night and off again in the morning. But, it was turning itself on several times during the day. Then, there were our radios. We would listen to KFDI (country station) but the radios (all of them - not just one) would suddenly start playing the Spanish station which was fairly close on the dial to KFDI. It didn't matter if the radios were digital or the old knob kind of tuning - they all switched to the Spanish station. Weeks would go by without any signs of our ghost, but then when I went down to the basement to clean the back storage room (the kids kept their toys there), it seemed to stir things up and he would be active for a couple of weeks.
There was a hidden room down there right next to the storage room. We never opened up this hidden room - it was blocked off - because we didn't need the space. Frankly, the old owners stated, "That's where we keep the skeletons" when we asked them about the room and we weren't entirely sure we wanted to look. Anyway, on the other side of that room was my husband's office. One day he walked into his office and he said he saw the ghost just sitting at his roll-top desk, looking at all his stuff. I also saw it while in the basement family room watching TV - it just floated across the room. The only person who did not see the ghost was our daughter. He didn't bother us at all and we figured he must like us. However, the family who moved in after we were transferred stayed only a short while - I'm not sure if that was anything to do with the ghost or not.

Now, the strange thing about that neighborhood was that it seemed to be cursed. There were two dozen houses but so many strange deaths...like 13 in the course of 8 years. Kids, adults...all accidents except for a suicide. I wasn't unhappy to move, let me tell you.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
"Are ghosts real" is an age old question with evidenace from ancient times that people saw or believed in ghosts thousands upon thousands of years ago.

The premise comes from the religious perspective that human beings have souls that are enternal. That we are essentially a combination of spiritual and physical beings. This is not to be confused with the concept that we are spiritual beings who are wrapped in flesh and bone, but rather that we are a living combination of the two.

From a religious perspective, beliefs over thousands of years state God (who is a spirit himself) created spiritual beings to serve him (angels). Then he also created a physical world (the universe) with living creatures including mankind, who are a combination of both spiritual and physical by created design.

Mankind fell from his original purpose and hence death came into the world seperating the soul from they body at death (something that was not intended to happen, but as a consequence from the fall).

Common belief today is that the ghosts people experience are more often the loved ones we once knew now disembodied from the flesh. Most people without religious background or belief will often conclude that death is the end and there exists nothing else, or that at death your spirit seperates from the body and drifts around the earth or between some sort of heavenly dimension that intersects with the physical world we live in. Others have concluded that ghosts are the souls of the damned who are being punished by having to drift in various unseen dimensions without hope.

From a practical and all encompassing standpoint theories behind ghosts include:

1) Hoaxes - fake sightings
2) False identification of known natural phenomenon
3) Psycological in nature such as memories, imagination, mental projection, etc. that are not really ghosts
4) Time warps and time intersections of real events past and present
5) Time portals and time travelers
6) Past events that reel back like a tape recorder from human energy and emotion trapped in some object(s)
7) Angelic or demonic spiritis created by God but never having a real physical body
8) Demonic false projections of evil spirits intentionally working to take on human ghostly form to trick the mind
9) Dead people trapped between two worlds - the physical and the spiritual

None of these can be proven by scientific method. So far only personal expereinces, group experiences, and some physical evidence has been captured that confirms that something is in fact interfacing with us at certain points in time and in specific points or places.

Ghosts defined as entities are intelligent living spirits - other ghosts are thought to be the recorded play back of people and their images with no living entity even present (a simple image playback).

The truth may be that ghosts are in fact a combination of all of these things or some number of these things. There is no single answer to the question.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think this website explains a lot of mysteries

like the "Residual ghosts"

Residual ghosts are similar to a tape recording playing back a past event over and over again without deviation. What causes these recordings to be made and how and why they are played back is a mystery.

But some people belive that by creating the right conditions of humidity and light that this type of ghost can be recreated. The 'Stone Tape Theory' is widely recognised as some sort of an answer to these recordings and playbacks, building materials e.g. stone is able to absorb and hold these energies of past events and play them back when the conditions are right.

Similar to how a tape recorder using magnetic tape works. These type of haunting are said not to interact with the living, buildings are often changed in time e.g. walls built and floors moved to different levels but the recordings are always replayed the same. This is why a Ghost may be seen walking through a wall, as it wouldn't of been there in the past.

Not to mention it seems the "re-playing" seems more intensified in tragic deaths such as murders or horrific accidents, fires, car off a cliff etc.. As if the one that dies emits a stronger bond to the fabric of this dimension re-surfaced through the similar conditions.
www.rotherham-ghosts.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Members posts preceding mine have covered a lot of ground.
So all i can add is its like UFOs if you haveseen one or had contact with a alien, you know they are real, others just speculate.

I lived in a haunted house for a year as a child, and kept it to myself mostly.
Hauntings are real, ghosts are real.
And on a final note perhaps its us who are dead?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I personally have a friend who sees ghosts on a regular basis and talks about them very matter-of-factly. My friend is extremely trustworthy and has no reason to lie. Also the friend's mother has told me that even as a child she would stare at spots where nothing was and appeared to see things that others did not.

So I do believe in ghosts because of this. However, I do not think they are conscious spirits, but more like a human shaped shell left behind for a certain amount of time after the person dies. That would explain why they just seem to hang out at graveyards.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
I think this website explains a lot of mysteries

like the "Residual ghosts"

Residual ghosts are similar to a tape recording playing back a past event over and over again without deviation. What causes these recordings to be made and how and why they are played back is a mystery.

But some people belive that by creating the right conditions of humidity and light that this type of ghost can be recreated. The 'Stone Tape Theory' is widely recognised as some sort of an answer to these recordings and playbacks, building materials e.g. stone is able to absorb and hold these energies of past events and play them back when the conditions are right.

Similar to how a tape recorder using magnetic tape works. These type of haunting are said not to interact with the living, buildings are often changed in time e.g. walls built and floors moved to different levels but the recordings are always replayed the same. This is why a Ghost may be seen walking through a wall, as it wouldn't of been there in the past.

Not to mention it seems the "re-playing" seems more intensified in tragic deaths such as murders or horrific accidents, fires, car off a cliff etc.. As if the one that dies emits a stronger bond to the fabric of this dimension re-surfaced through the similar conditions.
www.rotherham-ghosts.com...

Yes, agreed. This level of research, although not yet able to verify in the fullest sense these aspects, seem like the foundation of the best scientific hypothesis explaining a large percentage of "ghost sightings." Personally I do believe that rock and certain non-living objects have chemical properties that allow for the absorbtion of all sorts of energy. One energy hard to quantify, but believed to be known to exist, is the sort of electronmagnetic energy that living creatures may possess or exhibit.

As the theory goes, certain types of rock and geologic formations have absorption and retention properties that allow them to capture this energy. This energy, as exhibited through and from human beings, may cascade up and down (or fluctuate) based on emotional and biological influencers. Hence, places known to have had high death rates, tragic deaths from war or murder, etc., may be places where this energy was emitted in large and intense quantity. If this happens in certain places where these non-organic, non-living objects exist (hulls of metal ships, bricks and stone as foundations to old homes, etc.), this energy may be absorbed into those objects.

Then, as stated, under certain and very rare or reoccuring conditions this energy is released in such a way that the tragic event is replayed in some way. Of course, it isn't always tragic events that are observed so some thought may be that energy from living human beings interfacing with these objects may also act as triggers - hence you see a woman dressed in 1800's garb walking through a wall or foundation of a home even though no tragic event ever happened there. The only reason this may happen is that the conditions were right for it to happen and your presence (and energy) was one of a few factors that triggered the playback.

Of course, these residual sightings only explain a portion of the ghost phenomenon, not all of them since some ghosts are known to be intelligent and hence more like spiritual beings human or non-human. I would classify these differently than residual sightings since they involve contact with a living spirit of some kind.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I know three people around here who have told me that they have seen the same ghost (old man with a short beard and a dog, who looks upwards and vanishes) at the same location. Now these three people do not know each other, and the location is not generally known as a haunted area. In fact everyone I've since asked about it had never even heard of any hauntings or ghost stories associated with the place.

This leads me to believe that there may very well be something in it, although I am at a complete loss to explain what the nature and mechanics of it would be.

I simply live my life knowing that however much I read, there will still always be some things I shall never know, and I avoid being too dogmatic on those things.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Sure, ghosts are real.

A ghost (intelligent human caught in a limbo state because they cannot let go of their lifetime) gets trapped until they are able to realize and accept what has happened to them.

Residual ghosts are real too. Psychic imprints on the environment due to massive emotional energy. These are the reappearing ghosts that seem to repeat themselves over time, over and over. I don't think there is any intelligence there, just energy caught in a loop.

Entities (non-human) also exist, but because they are non-human, they tend to be aggressive and violent towards human beings. It makes them feel important in our plane of existence. These are often referred to as demons because of their violent nature and general ill will towards human beings.

Then there are humans who die, and return to visit those who they loved (or hated) in an attempt to make contact. These mostly appear in dreams, but always leave some sort of proof they were there, such as information about something you could not of known any other way. They often will leave smells or suddenly make you feel like they are there, and you just kind of know it if you are awake in their presence.

The list goes on and on...

As to time, it is my understanding that time on the other side does not exist as it does here. Most people that have passed on appear to be around the age of 30 to 40 on the other side. There are houses and places just like there is here, but somehow time is almost at a standstill and happening all at once

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

thanks, i actually clicked on that. lol

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
very thought provoking theory

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Are Ghosts real....I honestly don't know the answer to that. What I can say, is that I have seen many 'ghosts', none were people I ever knew myself, and none ever spoke a single word. So I have no idea why they visited me. I also wondered if they were Time Travelers. Something exists, if, I saw a 'ghost' that was someone I had known, or they gave me a message for someone I knew, then I would say yes, they are real. But since I can't touch them, how could I say that they were real. It is a circle that has no answers...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join