It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened back in 1989/1990?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I was born in 1979 and believe me The 90s was a lot better than the 80s. maybe its just cos i was a teen in the 90s but with all the drugs going round the clubs then and cool britania and all that it was the nearest thing to the 60s imo only without the protests, then again everyone was off their head in the 90s from what i can remember. but like i said maybe it was the same for every generations teen years. i do think every decade stands out over the others though. you will probs notice as the 00's and the 10's get further away. the cloths the music everything all make every ten years stand out to the previous imo.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think this comic is relevant to this thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
We all feel the change, it's when we put away our childish things and become adults. For me, the 80's were great, then I got married, started a family and became responsible.

I bet your parents feel the best times were way back when they were kids too. No stress, no real responsibilities, no bills to pay....wow, I wouldn't mind going back! The world was your oyster and your biggest worry was what you were going to do on Saturday night. No need to lock the doors at night, because you were a kid and didn't think about it.

Only difference between 1984 and 2011...27 years.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think kids who grew up in the 70's and 80's were subject to a different type of parenting. The majority of parents back than were strict and most kids understood the consequences of their actions.

In the 70's and 80's role models were held to a higher level. Now we have celebrity and athletic role models that have poor morals and criminal backgrounds.

Fads back than were merely clothing, like bell bottoms, white belts, silk flowered shirts, platform shoes, beads, hair styles. Now fads are more permanent like tattoos, piercings, large ear piercings etc....

Most kids back in the 70's avoided violence. Kids used to break-up fights now kids stand around and watch a beating like it's entertainment. Guys respected girls and frowned on girls who used vulgar language and overly flaunted their sexuality. I've noticed a big change in the way teenage boys and girls act today. Girls are acting more like guys and there's less scruples between the two genders.

The music back than was music and songs were sung. Today's hip hop music is all about rhyming lyrics. You don't need a good voice to sing as long as you can say the "f" word in every other lyric, talk about sex and abusing women, killing cops, gang banging and waving your hands.

Kids dressed presentable back than. If you couldn't dance you felt left out. Now dance is like having dry sex on the dance floor! The closest we got to that was called the "bump" dance.

Movie producers and music artists back than had their own creativity and didn't rely on using previous movies of earlier songs for ideas. There were no remixes and movies were not re-made from previous movies. There's less creativity in music and movies than now.

If I offended anyone, I apologize, this is just my observations.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

Oh, Ill t3ll you what happ3n3d in 1989. The Berlin Wall came down. A major Earthquake struck directly at a spot that was on a linear path between the house i lived in and the house i was currently staying in, or my grandpa's house. I believe the Epicenter was off the coast of the Northern Monterey Bay. Either way, i was naked and very very young when that struck.

Oh it was also the year of the ssnake.

I'm going to finish this post with a Bassnectar lyric:

"Listen...one world nation, true clear channel with infinite information...internet connect...media free...underground communication."

The younger generation isn't all dumbed, in fact, some are super, just super duper haha

Jesus=Kronos?

"The Pyramid did not fear time, time feared it."
edit on 9-8-2011 by xacto because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2011 by xacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

EVERYTHING in life changes...everything is transient. Look how we have all seen the changing weather patterns over the last decade. Consciousness en masse is changing too, slowly, but it has and is. The organic human brain has changed too...there are now those with a different brain wiring which started since the early 50's. Autistic savants and autism in general is now on the global increase and Aspergers are being born everywhere as testimony to the changing and opening of alternate areas of brain acivity.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In 1989 I suffered through seventh grade. Unfortunately there are photos and report cards to prove it.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

What happened back in 1989/1990?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

However the scenery must change to keep things at least a little bit interesting, because nothing really changes all that much, least of all humanity. Only to those who are blind to the way things really are, do things change. Hence there always surprised when they notice something has changed.

But in reality it has not changed, they just now see something that was always there with new eyes.

You can say that they have changed, or you can say that the world has changed. In both cases they are right, and in both cases they are wrong. But there are more cases that they are not capable of seeing, then they are capable of seeing.

And hence the more things change the more they stay the same. See what you wanna see.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Maybe off track but didn't GHWB take office in 1989?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I know exactly what happened. In December of 1989, my daughter got her driver's license.....
The world has NEVER been the same since!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by m1991

So it was just as real and physical as today's world, before 1989, it only seems strange and unreal to me because I wasn't there?

This struck me funny because when I was a kid I thought color had been invented during my parents lifetime because of black and white TV...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
We spent the 80's in very real fear that Russia would launch nuclear weapons at us, or that Ronald Reagan would do something stupid to launch weapons at them. By 1990, much of that fear had gone away and the cold war was over. In 1990, instead, we went to war with Iraq, under Bush Sr., only to revisit that war a decade later under his son.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In response to the OPs question...

I turned 30 in 1988. And you're right - there is a real difference in a spiritual sense whose roots stem to the early 1990s. There are a couple of compelling reasons for this.

After WWII the US and the USSR began an insane arms race that initiated a period known as the cold war. This period really picked up in the early 50s with the Korean war, and peaked with the soviet missile crisis of the early 60s. From that point, until the collapse of the USSR as a political entity in 1990, the cold war was on everyone's mind.

The stress of imminent nuclear war as a possibility shaped our society and our culture from 1950-1990. There was a cohesiveness among Americans that is absent today. We were all neighbors.

In 1990 the corporate expansion of the american empire into Iraq was begun. Desert Storm proved very successful, and very profitable. Gotta ask why Haliburton is in Dubai.

These two things. The cold war. Desert Storm. Both shaped the world into its respective shape during the ensuing time period. The real difference is technology. Prior to 1990 cellular phone service was reserved for the wealthy. Found in cars and in suit cases. Prior to 1990 there was no public internet.

These two things. Cheap cell phone service. The internet. Have helped shape our society and our culture into what it is today. The access to information, and access to each other, instantaneously, was unheard of prior to 1990. (in the public domain)

There have been other events, some horrific others joyous, that have added to the foray of our cultural psyche. 9/11. Macondo blow out. Millions starving in Africa. Space Shuttle program. ISS. Hubble.

You're correct. There is a real difference in the attitude and in the perspective of almost everyone in regard to the timeframe prior to 1990 as opposed to after 1990. Globally we are maturing into the realization that we are all one species. The past notion of sovereignty on a national or ethnic level is giving way to the reality of a global community.

Everything that has happened since 1990 is propelling us into the future.

reply to post by m1991

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
reply to post by m1991

I thought before, the 1980s were a kind of "high rationality" time, like the "last time things were taken serious" just as they are. Business was business, Gecko was a businessman, Reagan was a president, Pablo Escobar was a a bad guy, etc etc. All these people -- or symbols projected onto people, I guess -- were very clear-cut, almost simplistic. Pure, you know? I guess everything was "pure" not in a moral sense but in an aesthetic sense.

Then came the 1990s and you had the tryumph of "irony" and "postmodernism" and everything had a twist. Heroes weren't heroes anymore, villians weren't villans. Like, you had the 1990s batman, who was a good guy, but was also dark and brooding and kind of tormented psychologically. Or you had all the Tarantino movies, where the good guys were a bunch of creepy foul-mouthed thugs. See, heroes weren't heroes anymore and bad guys had their good side. Everything got all mixed up, culturally.

I guess that's one difference, right?
edit on 9-8-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

All those are movies though.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

True, communism died. Another thing that happened in early 1990s is Bush The First gave his NWO speech. The world did change, indeed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

In 1990 the global consciousness grid was activated. You should read The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life by Drunvalo Melchizedek.

I recall 1990 very well and yes it did feel much different then the 80's. Much like how 2011 feels very different also.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon

So it was just as real and physical as today's world, before 1989, it only seems strange and unreal to me because I wasn't there?

This struck me funny because when I was a kid I thought color had been invented during my parents lifetime because of black and white TV...

Haha!!! I thought the same thing! I remember asking my Grandma "when did the world become color?" I literally thought the entire world was black and white from seeing all the photos of my parents.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I graduated high school in 1989 so this thread is making me feel real old right now. Certainly old enough to remember those years quite well.

But other than that I don't recall it as anything special, especially in any new-agey sense like the OP refers to.

The mid-nineties saw a significant cultural shift with the increase in home computers and the internet but I really don't recall there being much difference, say, in 1989 vs 1992.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

I remember that time well.

I had been out of school for a few years, everything was good. There was still a feeling of "This is America!". It was the eighties. Economy was still good. i made $6 an hour and had my own apartment and car. It was a little tight but not too bad at all.

At 89/90 there was a certain change though. It was like a channel was turned. Freq shift? The nineties were none too good really. Very dark. Ruby Ridge, Waco, OKC....you know the story.

I'd love to go back to the eighties. Best years of my life.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Maybe it's just the fact I was born in January 1990, that's probably it, but to me the 1980s and before seems like a different world from today. I thought one time I might have heard a voice in my head saying on January 1, 1990, the vibration or even all the particles in the world were replaced by new ones and consciousness changed. My grandma said January 1990 was almost nothing like the 80s which I find strange considering it was mere days after the 80s ended. January 2010 was definitely just like the 2000s and January 2000 was definitely exactly like 1998 or 1999, from what I remember, as far as I'm concerned the 90s was part of the new millennium not the 20th century which to me is a foreign century despite the fact I can remember the last 8 years or so of it. It sure seems like people thought differently before the 1990s, I think modern thought similar to how people think in the 2010s began quite clearly in the early 1990s.

Many people of course, anyone over 28 years old, can remember when the 80s turned into the 90s ---- am I crazy? Were the 80s actually pretty much the same as today's world aside from things like the Internet, or did people and the world seem different in a metaphysical way in pre-1990 times?
edit on 9-8-2011 by m1991 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2011 by m1991 because: (no reason given)

As far as I can tell, 1989 was the beginning of the 'sorting period' before Armageddon. It ends this year. As far as I can tell.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join