It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened back in 1989/1990?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Desert Storm trading cards insured that all American's had the god given rights to carry nukes with them in their pants stockpiling till the day that we would be offended by any man on this earth and through em down on the floor like POGS, or by today's standards what would seem like Yu Gi Oh.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonmaitreya
reply to post by m1991

In 1990 the global consciousness grid was activated. You should read The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life by Drunvalo Melchizedek.

I recall 1990 very well and yes it did feel much different then the 80's. Much like how 2011 feels very different also.

Would you say 1990 was more similar to 2011 than it was to 1989?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by KennyDurazo
Desert Storm trading cards insured that all American's had the god given rights to carry nukes with them in their pants stockpiling till the day that we would be offended by any man on this earth and through em down on the floor like POGS, or by today's standards what would seem like Yu Gi Oh.

ahahaha I remember POGS. that was what, around 1995?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I was born in 1992 but here are the events that happened in 1989/1990.

February 2, 1989 - The last Soviet Union armored column leaves Kabul, ending 9 years of military occupation in Soviet-Afghan War.

July 31, 1989 – Nintendo releases the Game Boy portable video game system in North America.

November 9th, 1989 - The Berlin Wall falls down.

December 20, 1989 – Operation Just Cause was launched by the United States in an attempt to overthrow Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega. Which it did successfully.

August 2nd, 1990 - The Gulf War started when Iraqi forces under dictator Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, a tiny-oil riced country.

August 4th, 1990 - Kuwait was annexed as a province of Iraq.

So on so on,

There is plenty of research to go by.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
I was born in 1992 but here are the events that happened in 1989/1990.

February 2, 1989 - The last Soviet Union armored column leaves Kabul, ending 9 years of military occupation in Soviet-Afghan War.

July 31, 1989 – Nintendo releases the Game Boy portable video game system in North America.

November 9th, 1989 - The Berlin Wall falls down.

December 20, 1989 – Operation Just Cause was launched by the United States in an attempt to overthrow Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega. Which it did successfully.

August 2nd, 1990 - The Gulf War started when Iraqi forces under dictator Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, a tiny-oil riced country.

August 4th, 1990 - Kuwait was annexed as a province of Iraq.

So on so on,

There is plenty of research to go by.

Yes, I feel like the dominance of the US that was achieved by 1990 made the world 'flat' so to speak. What is called globalization is really more like Americanization. Though the rise of China perhaps will bend the world yet again.

Still though, I feel like there was an actual, metaphysical change in 1990. Like the whole world was somehow re-made. What if our pre-1990 memories are illusory?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

Uhh i don't mention about that. It was just about the years and all.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Well "Skid Row" released " I Remember You" .

The personal computer and the world wide web as well as mircsoft's software were all coming of age and 89 was the start of the " Lighting of the fuse" that lead to where we are now..

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
the world was quiet.

the wall had come down, communism was dead. we had no great enemies in the world.

for the first time in 100 years, there was a calm.

I remember that feeling, I was only 12 or 13 at that time bit there was this sense that the world was changing

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The 1980's Ronnie Reagan came to power with a bankrupt country....to keep it going he borrowed from the future to fund the 80's boom.

When 1990 came everyone realized.....oh crap....somebody's going to have to pay for that.

The bucks been passed year by year.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by m1991

I believe in the 1990 is when everything changed too. I can distinctively remember the fear of parents and sex offenders. This was the start of media claiming that sex offenders were around every corner. This is when kids stopped playing outside with neighbors. The whole 90's seemed like families became isolated from each other. This was also the time were parenting seemed to shift. Parents became extremely protective of their kids at that point.

I remember in the 80's growing up as a kid, it was fairly standard to respect adults. Even other parents scolding you for doing something in public that was wrong was standard, and no parents seemed to get upset. Spankings were common place still, even at that time.

I agree, though, in the 90's it all started changing quickly. We are at a point now where I question what planet I am living on. Fear has been pumped into the minds of the masses, and hate for each other appears rampant.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I agree, let's not forget that fact that when the good guys(NATO) accidentally killed civilians, they make a big deal about it but when an enemy does it nothing is said. It's exactly how Vietnam war media is like. Now all the sudden it's increasing even more.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I think we had less access to real time information back then, so we may have been more naive. The people at the top at the time were certainly no better than today, seeing as how many of them are still there. Seems among other things, 1989 marked the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union and the World Trade Center..

From another thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

WTC demolition planned in '80's

A demolition was actually planned out in detail for the twin towers in the 1980's. The planners engaged architects, developed estimates for a complete take-down and rebuild, and the architects drafted conceptual drawings.

The demolition of such gigantic steel structures, with their thick concrete floors, if lawfully performed in conformance with New York City codes, would have been an immensely arduous and expensive task and was estimated back then at $5.6 billion. (This included the slow and laborious task of cutting, with oxy-acetylene torches, the giant hardened steel members of the high-rise structures. In those days you could not so easily melt steel, as for example with kerosene, the official physics for this process having not been in place until a few weeks after September 11, 2001).

I watched such a New York demolition proceed on an old steel and concrete high-rise from my midtown office window at Third Avenue and 51st in the late 1960's. Using cutting torches, workers laboriously severed the old steel members into manageable sections one-by-one. Then they drilled holes into the thick concrete floors and placed small dynamite charges within. A huge ponderous steel net was laid down over the floor area to be blasted.

When the shrill warning whistle blew, I knew to swivel my chair toward the window. Then, bang, and the heavy steel net jumped. The net contained all the shattered concrete debris within. Workers hosed down the area with water to suppress the dust. Then the workers had to gather up the concrete chunks and cart them to funnels that conducted the debris down into dump trucks below. This went on for months, floor by floor.
The same slow, expensive, labor-intensive procedures would have been required had the twin towers been lawfully deconstructed.

In 1989 the architects assigned to the WTC demolition were told that the entire project had been cancelled and that their office, located in the WTC, was to be closed. One source states that someone told the architects that, "In 10 to 12 years they are going to blow it up and start over."

teslapress.com...

“In 1989 President George H. W. Bush began the multi-billion dollar Project Hammer program using an investment strategy to bring about the economic destruction of the Soviet Union including the theft of the Soviet treasury, the destabilization of the ruble, funding a KGB coup against Gorbachev in August 1991 and the seizure of major energy and munitions industries in the Soviet Union. Those resources would subsequently be turned over to international bankers and corporations. On November 1, 2001, the second operative in the Bush regime, President George W. Bush, issued Executive Order 13233 on the basis of “national security” and concealed the records of past presidents, especially his father’s spurious activities during 1990 and 1991. Consequently, those records are no longer accessible to the public. [1] The Russian coup plot was discussed in June 1991 when Yeltsin visited with Bush in conjunction with his visit to the United States. On that same visit, Yeltsin met discreetly with Gerald Corrigan, the chairman of the New York Federal Reserve. [2]”

www.spingola.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hmm 1989 I was in 10th grade, listening to hair metal, riding my moped around the neighborhood hanging out with friends

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by m1991

I believe in the 1990 is when everything changed too. I can distinctively remember the fear of parents and sex offenders. This was the start of media claiming that sex offenders were around every corner. This is when kids stopped playing outside with neighbors. The whole 90's seemed like families became isolated from each other. This was also the time were parenting seemed to shift. Parents became extremely protective of their kids at that point.

I remember in the 80's growing up as a kid, it was fairly standard to respect adults. Even other parents scolding you for doing something in public that was wrong was standard, and no parents seemed to get upset. Spankings were common place still, even at that time.

I agree, though, in the 90's it all started changing quickly. We are at a point now where I question what planet I am living on. Fear has been pumped into the minds of the masses, and hate for each other appears rampant.

You're right, it was right around the year 1990, maybe a bit earlier or a bit later, that it became standard for people not to trust others. Back in the day, people were assumed trustworthy until proven otherwise. Now, it's assumed that everyone is out to get you and not worthy of trust unless somehow they can prove it. This whole obsession with pedophilia is probably a big part of the reason why. Suddenly it has become worse than murder and the motivator for all relationships and precautions.

And it's only gotten worse since the 90s, it seems like even though everyone is more cynical and mean-spirited now, it also seems like nobody can even act serious anymore. The 1990s still had some humanity left over but that is when it started to disappear.
edit on 14-8-2011 by m1991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

All through the 80s I remember parents would discipline each others kids. If they saw you out causing trouble, they would stop and take you to your parents or deal with you and tell your parents later. Almost exactly in 1990, I saw that attitude shift. Video game systems and personal computing were also introduced around that time in a greater degree. I remember almost every kid had a Sega or Nintendo around that time. Parents started to argue with teachers and blame them for their kids problems. This was also the time where prescription drugs were being marketed more predominately towards children. ADD and ADHD became a common diagnosis for children acting out. The Nanny State soon emerged, as people became disconnected and more superficial.

I also noticed about this time, corporations changed. Benefits were cut, retirement no longer offered, and a degree of disloyalty set in between employer and employee. It was like evil had come home to roost. And the later 1990's was a boom with jobs everywhere and internet start ups providing money to everyone. When 2001 hit, it changed again building on top of resentment for others developed in the proceeding years. Now we authorized the government even more increased control over our lives.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

Plastic became burlap. That is, in essence, what happened. It wasn't as clear as January 1990 being different. But things changed muy rapido.

We invaded Iraq, fell in love with Clinton (some did, anyway), and allowed the military industrial complex to continue to march forward.

Technology improved. And, the creme de la creme, the internet was invented. That, alone, has revolutionized our world like nothing else since steam engines.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Found this video, though it was kind of interesting ... some 'raw' footage of Toronto in the 80s. It actually looks kind of the same, just a little bit grittier.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

sorry everything cant be black and white like 1989 again

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

if you think disco became hip hop your a fool. disco became trance/techno/electronic music.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGovernmentlovesyou

If you don't think 90% of pop music today is actually based on the Disco model you are a fool. The disco model of a single voice to promote, while the producer and engineer made sure the music was present, is the epitome of modern pop. The Disco business model has taken over pop music. Along with it so has the same mostly empty and pointless music.

Disco never died and Hip Hop was the first music form to really embrace the disco ethos with songs like Rapper's Delight and the early adoption of a single dj/producer to make all of the music. It caught on even more when the earliest eight bit samplers and midi devices came out.

Electronic actually started before Disco ever appeared. Some of the earliest ground work for "Electronica" was laid in 1907 and 1911. It was first practically applied by composers in France during the late 1940s and early 1950s. If anything Electronica is nearly as old if not older than what we recognize as Rock and Roll in many respects.

Don't call somebody a fool until you study the history and understand the subject.
edit on 12-3-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join