It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my laptop hard drive crapped out,-- any thoughts on a SATA cable to recover data?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
my laptop hard drive crapped out,-- any thoughts on a SATA cable to recover data?

i think i can buy one locally for 20 bucks..

it was the op system that failed.. and after a FREE replacement by dell..
im back online!!!

but i ran my business off my laptop,, i need to recover my lost files..

(i should have been current on BACKUP-ing )
but --- oh well

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

A sata cable is only good if you have a desktop to plug the hard drive into as a second drive as it will need a power source. If not you will need an enclosure, preferably with a seperate power cable which plugs into a wall outlet.

I've had mixed results from enclosures that only use the usb socket to power them. They often don't get enough voltage.

An e-sata version will be better than usb also, if your laptop supports it.

Hope that helps!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by darrman

A sata cable is only good if you have a desktop to plug the hard drive into as a second drive as it will need a power source. If not you will need an enclosure, preferably with a seperate power cable which plugs into a wall outlet.

I've had mixed results from enclosures that only use the usb socket to power them. They often don't get enough voltage.

An e-sata version will be better than usb also, if your laptop supports it.

Hope that helps!

Good advice, also there are many a few good versions of data recovery software aout there to, I have used several from Seagate (Link to Seagate Web Site)

Also plan on moving/recovering your data and moving all pertinent data to your new hard drive, and then creating a back up system for your data. You may use your old HD but that may require manual backups, I would suggest purchasing a new external drive. Most external drives have back up software already installed on them or available via download. These programs usual simplify the back up hassle.
edit on 8-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I would assume that a mechanical issue is at hand and in an instance that of upmost importance would be the sole time where one would do this where a disassembling of that one and an identical one and rebuild of the new with the old discs and keeping other parts as spares. I really don't know and is but an assumption. If it's just the operating system that failed; I think you might have been able to boot with use of ms-dos changing the cycle of startup prossess to cd-rom first and having your driver cd in . Not sure but I'm sure someone here is.
edit on 8-8-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The Black Widow will read a sata drive...

BlacX

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

Never disassemble a hard disk. Never ever unless you have access to a positive pressure clean room. One speck of dust and its toast.

Their hemetically sealed. If its hooked back up as a second drive theres a good chance the files darman needs will be recoverable.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
The Black Widow will read a sata drive...

BlacX

kool looks right....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
I would assume that a mechanical issue is at hand and in an instance that of upmost importance would be the sole time where one would do this where a disassembling of that one and an identical one and rebuild of the new with the old discs and keeping other parts as spares. I really don't know and is but an assumption.

disassembling a hard drive and reassembling is best left only as a last resort. disassembling hard rives for the purpose of data recovery is usually successfully ONLY DONE by professionals in a clean room.
edit on 8-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Two years ago, I stumbled over a shoe and dropped my laptop which had every home video I'd ever taken on the hard drive. The hard drive, I was told, was fried; but the Geek Squad at Circuit City was able to recover all of my irreplaceable data and put it on a new external hard drive. Since then, I've been careful to back up my data to two independent drives, so that if one fails, I always have a back-up.

I'm no computer expert by any means, but the Geek Squad has always come through for me.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Assuming you have a home network a network attatched storage (NAS) drive is quite a good backup tool. You can also access them from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.

Safe, secure and not that expensive.

top topics

join