It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret of death..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Anyone else ever hear of this? The link goes to a book to be bought, but very interesting....

THE SECRET OF DEATH? THE ANCIENTS CALLED IT "DIVISION"-- --Ancient cultures all around the globe once held remarkably similar beliefs about death and the afterlife. Ancient Egypt, China, Greece, Persia, Australia, and native tribes throughout Africa, North and South America, and the Pacific Islands all believed that people had not one, but two souls, and that those souls were savagely wrenched apart from one another at death, each experiencing an entirely different, but equally crippled afterlife. Many of these cultures believed that one soul would become trapped in a fixed and unchanging heaven-or-hell netherworld, while the other, although remaining free to go on to new lives and/or new experiences, would be struck with total amnesia.Ancient Israel also believed that people possessed two souls, calling them, of course, the soul and the spirit. Early Christians even believed, as had those other nations, that the soul and spirit could, and sometimes would, divide apart from one another.

[edit on 8/17/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ya its an interesting thought. I've always wondered why so many of the ancients held such similar beliefs, I don't think a coincidence would be enough evidence to explain this (to me atleast). I guess my question would be why seperate the spirit and soul and have one with amnesia? I don't see a point to having one a lifetime without retaining atleast a tiny bit about who they were previously. Life is about learning and how can you learn while your constantly being refreshed? Whoever made that design did a crumby job.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, I don't know about the whole theory...but it is too coincidental to me too...but as to learning. You don't, or most of don't, remember past learning's...however, you do of course between schools (life)...and asses what you have learned before choosing your next class (life experience)

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well I hope your right, all the certifications I got better come in handy for the next lifetime or im getting my money back

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I see it a little different not as the soul and the spirit having amnesia but the body that houses the soul.

The amnesia concept comes as people ask if we have past life why we don't remember them in this life, and the amnesia may be possible so we live each life with a purpose and a meaning.

Now the soul when is liberate after death it can be seen as the spirit due to the fact that that is possible to retained a some kind of form or shape of our self after death that reminds the living of the person that die calling this form a spirit.

In my believe I see we have the body earth body then we have the soul is pure energy but the soul also has the power to retained some form of formal self or body and that is the spirit that some people see or ghost.

Through the times people tend to interpret their experiences base on religion and when it can not be explain then is call evil.

The ancients had a better uderstanding of life and life after death that we do now a days.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
marg, you bring up a few good points that may explain the little details that are missing from the equation. If only we have proof i'd sleep better at night. Maybe sometime in the future another gifted professor will show us the true way to life after death. With all the advances in technology and science you'd think we'd be hot on the trail for the answer. Maybe then we could finally understand what the ancients knew all along. We'd be wise not to underestimate them.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The "immortal bard" described death as the "undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveller returns, puzzles the will and makes us rather bear the ills we have than to fly to others that we know not of."

We all choose to believe in one fate or another after death, no one can truly know. This is a model that appeals to me.

[edit on 04/8/17 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join