It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS says veterans and gun-owners are terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is insane. Veterans who served this country and risked their lives are called potential terrorists? huh? Wut?
If you own a gun your a terrorist? Defend yourself == terrorist. Makes sense.

So if a criminal steals a gun and holds up your family do you throw a ninja star at him?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
May I inquire how this video from 2009 is relevant now? If they did anything, we'd have heard about it a long time ago.

Edit: I began watching the video, only to discover that there was an apology issued.
edit on 3-8-2011 by TheReasonableSkeptic because: (no reason given)

Edit 2:

Turns out that the whole thing was an assessment for who could be targeted for recruitment by right-wing extremists. It was two narrow, and this was pointed out in the video itself.
edit on 3-8-2011 by TheReasonableSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
You really posted this when the exact same thread is on the same page?

I'm assuming you didn't search

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
" This is an assessment not an acquisition, blah blah blah, I'm ugly and stupid and think I'm awesome because I somehow ended up in homeland security"
` Secretary Janet Napolitano

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
This is insane. Veterans who served this country and risked their lives are called potential terrorists? huh? Wut?
If you own a gun your a terrorist? Defend yourself == terrorist. Makes sense.

So if a criminal steals a gun and holds up your family do you throw a ninja star at him?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

I have never said this to a OP, I do believe this is called, "FEAR MONGERING" and this thread should be removed as it is offensive in its manner. It is like yoy are trying to start a situation. We know our gov is corrupt, but we also know the military active and retired are highly respected by the gov and us citizens.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

"Military men are stupid animals to be used as pawns" -Henry Kissenger

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

It may have something to do with the oath veterans took to "defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic".

It's a tough one for them to swallow.

edit on 4-8-2011 by Oldnslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

Unfortunately I can't see the video, but the headline is accurate. It is a sad day, but our own Napolitano has repeatedly stood by her original report that says these folks are potential terrorists. Tea Partiers, returning vets, Christians, Right Wingers, Left Wingers, etc., etc., etc.

The information can be considered accurate, and there are plenty of other places to go and verify the info.

Fox News

NY TImes

Washington Times, complete with Napolitano quotes, and .pdf download of original report

That is just a very quick rundown of the mainstream sources. You can imagine what the less mainstream blogosphere has to say about it.

ETA:
She did later apologize for offending anyone, but she still defended the report, and said the only thing she would change, would be to add a footnote. Kind of a little disclaimer.

This was an assessment, not an accusation," Napolitano continued. "It was limited to extremists those who seek to commit violence within the United States. And all this was meant to do was to give law enforcement what we call 'situational awareness.'"

"The last thing I want to do is offend or castigate all veterans. To the contrary, let's meet and clear the air," she said.

A footnote in the report, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," said that while there is no specific information that domestic right-wing terrorists are planning acts of violence, such acts could come from unnamed "rightwing extremists" concerned about illegal immigration, abortion, increasing federal power and restrictions on firearms -- and singled out returning war veterans as susceptible to recruitment.

"If there's one part of this report that I would rewrite ... it would be that footnote," Napolitano said.

Fox News
edit on 4-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join