It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. death, 76 illnesses linked to ground turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

AP) WASHINGTON — Federal officials say one person has died from salmonella poisoning that appears to be linked to eating ground turkey, but the government is still investigating who produced the meat and has not initiated a recall.

Seventy-six people in 26 states have been made sick from the same strain of the disease. The CDC did not say where the person who died became sick and released no details about the death.

They have been searching for months and cant find this? Glad its not Thanks Giving

www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 2-8-2011 by Campy61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
were there any abnormal growths on the turkeys?,,,,,like two heads?,,,it is about the right area.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

Could you link this to a source? I'm anxious to read the whole article and find out more about this outbreak.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Just got it added. LOL looks like I put this under wrong thread

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Just had some ground turkey in my tacos tonight, how do we find out what brand was infected?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

I havent been able to find out what brand yet I am still searching.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Soooo glad I don't eat turkey of any form lol. This is pretty terrible

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

Thank you. I'm glad to see that my state hasn't had an outbreak yet.
Even though the article is long, I do not like how vague it is. It doesn't tell us anything except the government is afraid to do a recall and cook your meat well.

One thing I'm sure of is this turkey had to come from a factory farm, and with the way the govt. is reacting, probably a major company runs it. I've done some research on food production, and it seems that food borne illnesses come from the poor conditions at factory farms that foster disease.
I know not everyone is blessed to have access to non-massed produced food, but it might be best to avoid mass produced food as much as possible.
edit on 2-8-2011 by collietta because: fixing my grammar

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up ! There goes those turkey burgers for dinner

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

unless they were frozen ,,before the Earliest Detection Date,, then a month before that,, should be ok,, don't like too waste food,,

That is if u stocked up.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
Just had some ground turkey in my tacos tonight, how do we find out what brand was infected?

Could you report to us whether or not you or those who ate the turkey taco's develop symptoms? If you do/don't develop symptoms, you could inform the ATS community what brand you had in case they have the same brand in their freezers.

You might have to carefully monitor your symptoms, if you've eaten a lot of raw eggs, like cookie dough or cake batter, as a kid, you might not be obvious that you have food poisoning.

During the Peter Pan peanut butter salmonella outbreak in 2006 (or was it 2007?), a coworker and I never developed severe symptoms. I personally went through a jar and a half wondering why my stomach felt like it was burning (similar to heartburn) after eating it and I'd have to use the bathroom within an hour. I never guessed I had food poisoning, until I mentioned it to my coworker who said he had similar symptoms. We checked our jars and it wasn't part of the recall yet.. (Our jar's lot numbers were added a week later). Anyway another coworker got really ill eating the peanut butter and we had determined that the coworker and I must've built a tolerance to salmonella since we've eaten a lot of batter in our lives. The really sick coworker had not eaten that much raw dough.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Better lay off the fish in Connecticut River, Vermont,, as well

RSOE EDIS
Event Report
Enviroment Pollution in USA on Wednesday, 03 August, 2011 at 02:55 (02:55 AM) UTC.

"Vermont health officials say radioactive strontium-90 has been found in a fish sample taken from the Connecticut River 9 miles upstream from the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant. William Irwin, the state's chief radiological health officer, said Tuesday that the sample was unusual in that the strontium-90 was found in the fleshy, edible portion of the smallmouth bass sample. Irwin says the substance more often turns up in fish bones. Irwin says it's not certain whether the material came from Vermont Yankee or from atmospheric deposits left over from atomic-bomb testing in the 1950s and `60s or from the Chernobyl accident. He says it's unlikely it would have been from the Fukushima disaster so soon after that incident in Japan."
unquote

so soon after that incident?????????????? lol its been six months! lol

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Sorry just caught the "incident in Japan" ,,some incident.
edit on 2-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Didn't Hardies come out with turkey burgers around the end of March? Would be interesting to know if the states effected all had Hardies and if any of those people had eaten there.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
Didn't Hardies come out with turkey burgers around the end of March? Would be interesting to know if the states effected all had Hardies and if any of those people had eaten there.

That was my thought too. Carl's Jr which is the parent company of Hardee's just started carrying a turkey burger as well around the same time.

Sure seems like TPB are protecting someone's butt

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This makes me filled with joy.
We need many more instances of this with any all types of meat.
Viruses to parasites, it is beneficial to the species in the long run.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Shady Brook Farms is the manufacturer, says they are out of Witchita KS

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
troyrecord.com... this is a local newspaper in my area, looks like we had the infected product. I have no signs or symptoms of any kind. I will keep you posted.

new topics

top topics

join