It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Dumbfounded to Discover Richard Dawkins is a Closet Christian!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

facepalm for you ya gullible guss! haha seriously, dirt? my personal convictions are nothing youll ever even get a chance at mocking but for your lack of understanding humor you painted your ignorance all over your face, back to the dark room for you!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy

Now, I want to emphasize that I've simply used the exact same technique that ATS Bible bashers use with the Bible...lifting verses out of their overall context and then claiming a contradiction or some sort of horrible fact about God. On this very same basis, I have proven that Richard Dawkins is a Christian who believes in the Trinity and holds that God created the universe!

If it's legitimate for you to do this, then it's legitimate for me to do so...and if I'm wrong in doing so (as I surely am, since I ignored the context when finding these statements), you are just as wrong for doing the same thing with the Bible.

I understand what you’re doing here – I just don’t understand why?

If you really did try and prove Dawkins was a christian by using quote mining, all a sceptic would have to do is provide you with the proper context and end the dishonesty there

If as you claim atheist’s quote mine and take parts of the bible out of context then all you need to do is provide the proper context and end any dishonesty there

What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - right

But for me, all you have done here is highlight the fact that christians have an impossible task of defending the bible

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

If you really did try and prove Dawkins was a christian by using quote mining, all a sceptic would have to do is provide you with the proper context and end the dishonesty there

Yeah, you completely missed the point of the OP. He's not trying to make it seem like Dawkins is a Christian. He's mocking the way skeptics "quote mine" and haphazardly read the Bible and use that train-wreck approach to judge and condemn God. As if it proves anything at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

try again sunshine - actually >read< what i wrote

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
How could he be a christian he is a very intelligent man.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

facepalm for you ya gullible guss! haha seriously, dirt? my personal convictions are nothing youll ever even get a chance at mocking but for your lack of understanding humor you painted your ignorance all over your face, back to the dark room for you!

I'm sorry. It's not that I don't understand humor, it's that I didn't understand what you were saying. Whether Sarcasm or jokingly, it's your fault for sounding serious about the monkey thing.

And I think the dirt part went over your head. Man was once dirt, by christian dogma, man is no longer dirt. Scientific understanding is that Man's ancestors were once Apes, but we aren't anymore. In either system, man is no longer the same as where he originated. Thusly, calling an atheist an ape(or a monkey if you throw that misunderstanding in there) is no more accurate than calling a christian dirt.

Please watch how you construct your sentences, it'd make misunderstandings much easier to avoid.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.'" (I Samuel 15:3)

Context, they were at war. Does context justify god specifically saying kill the infants? No, and yet a christian would shout out of context without ever explaining how.

If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; show her no pity. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Scripture contains the whole context. It's one of gods rules. Yet, out of context would still be screamed.

~
Saul demanding 200 foreskins from david, has a context explaination, but it fails when looked at with any scrutiny.

“And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.”

Context; he felt gods spirit in him. Does that make the story any less unbelievable? No.

He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Context: He was.. teased. For being bald. So he got god to kill them all.
Made up context; he had to show that god's prophets need respect. Made up context still doesn't justify it.

~
I can keep going all day(There's certainly enough wacko scriptures for it). But I don't want to flood the board. Point is simple though, people don't take fragments of sentences and make up meanings in them. They take what's actually being said in the bible, and point out the more gruesome and obviously unbelievable stuff and shed some light on it.

What's truely out of context, is taking out only the 'good' parts of the bible, and hiding the rest. The bible has a wide range of messages from terrible to decent. It's not automatically a decent book if you ignore all the rest though.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix
How could he be a christian he is a very intelligent man.

I dunno, I think he's quite a bit educated beyond his intelligence.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Nice thread OP. Dawkins has been chewed up and spit out many times by Creationist. He hates Christians and he passes off that hate to his followers, so it's no big surprise that they also treat others just as he does.

I see people doing this stuff with the Bible all the time. Some act as those if they read the whole chapter they might be converted
. I don't mind people challenging the Word of God, if they have a solid question then I'll do my best to answer. The problem with atheists is that they don't ask questions, they just jump in and start bashing and most of the arguments they bring up are the same ol arguments that have already been shut down.

Anyway, this guys has always been confused, check out his interview with Ben Stein.

I highly recommend that you watch the whole documentary so can see how the science leaders treat the scientist who are Creationist.

edit on 3-8-2011 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yes how about that OP it would be terrible if a Christian quote mined and misrepresented what some one said, you know and then made a film out of it or something

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
Nice thread OP. Dawkins has been chewed up and spit out many times by Creationist. He hates Christians and he passes off that hate to his followers, so it's no big surprise that they also treat others just as he does.

I see people doing this stuff with the Bible all the time. Some act as those if they read the whole chapter they might be converted
. I don't mind people challenging the Word of God, if they have a solid question then I'll do my best to answer. The problem with atheists is that they don't ask questions, they just jump in and start bashing and most of the arguments they bring up are the same ol arguments that have already been shut down.

Anyway, this guys has always been confused, check out his interview with Ben Stein.

I highly recommend that you watch the whole documentary so can see how the science leaders treat the scientist who are Creationist.

And RealTruthSeeker you might want to re-read this bit of the op

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
Now, I want to emphasize that I've simply used the exact same technique that ATS Bible bashers use with the Bible...lifting verses out of their overall context and then claiming a contradiction or some sort of horrible fact about God. On this very same basis, I have proven that Richard Dawkins is a Christian who believes in the Trinity and holds that God created the universe! If it's legitimate for you to do this, then it's legitimate for me to do so...and if I'm wrong in doing so (as I surely am, since I ignored the context when finding these statements), you are just as wrong for doing the same thing with the Bible.

and think about how you just shot yourself and the op in the foot

Ben Stein

edit on 3-8-2011 by racasan because: grammer

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Wow...

"I have no idea, nor does anyone else, how the universe came into existence, but I'm 99% sure God doesn't exist."

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

And RealTruthSeeker you might want to re-read this bit of the op and think about how you just shot yourself and the op in the foot

Ben Stein

I know where the op is coming from, I just wanted to throw a few shots at Dawkins. For all I know maybe the guy really is a Christian underneath.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I know where the op is coming from, I just wanted to throw a few shots at Dawkins. For all I know maybe the guy really is a Christian underneath.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Dawkins, Richard

so no he's not

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Dawkins, Richard

so no he's not

Well in that case I would say that Dawkins is once again confused. How could the God of the OT be any of these things if that God doesn't exist?

I think this guy is undercover:

"Religion should not be allowed to “hijack” the great cultural resource of the Bible, according to the atheist scientist Professor Richard Dawkins.

Asked by the Labour MP Frank Field, chairman of the King James Bible Trust, what the Bible meant to him, he said: “I think it is important to make the case that the Bible is part of our heritage and it doesn’t have to be tied to religion.

“It’s of historic interest, it’s of literary interest, and it’s important that religion should not be allowed to hijack this cultural resource.

“You can’t appreciate English literature unless you know something about the Greek gods. You can’t appreciate Wagner unless you know something about the Norse gods. You can’t appreciate English literature unless you are to some extent at least steeped in the King James Bible.” richarddawkins.net...

Looks like this guy got something up his sleeve, I wonder what it is.[

Prezbo369

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Dawkins was describing the 'God' character described in the bible

But again...........it goes clean over your head.......

Prezbo369

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Wow...

"I have no idea, nor does anyone else, how the universe came into existence, but I'm 99% sure God doesn't exist."

Not sure what amazes you about that quote, hes not claiming knowledge, or that the existence of a 'God' is impossible, just that in his opinion the chances of a God existing are incredibly small.

racasan

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Well in that case I would say that Dawkins is once again confused. How could the God of the OT be any of these things if that God doesn't exist?

Ok I think you missed this bit

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all >fiction

RealTruthSeeker

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Ok I think you missed this bit
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all >fiction

racasan

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Sorry what knowledge in the bible?

Have you seen star trek II the wrath of khan?

here khan is quoting moby dick (sort of) – does this mean khan is using “knowledge” from moby dick?

Annee

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
To Atheists and Christians...and anyone else dumb enough to argue over religion:

Why do you care? Keep your opinions about these matters to yourself and to those who actively seek to hear it. THE END

I only care when religious power is allowed to control or influence government.

We are a secular government. I don't care that Christians were a power force in past generations.

100% NO religion or god in government or anything relating to government.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join