It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Dumbfounded to Discover Richard Dawkins is a Closet Christian!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Why is there always an on-going debate about atheists and Christians? Its get's nobody anywhere.

Because it's Good verse Evil. Think about it, this battle has been going on for thousands of years, when it comes to this debate, only one of the two can be correct.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
"I have no idea, nor does anyone else, how the universe came into existence, but I'm 99% sure God doesn't exist." (Dawkins quote)

A quick note to Dawkins- birth control pills are 99% effective. My youngest child is proof that the "1%" can in fact be the reality rather than the 99%

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

It's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about and are not interested in the truth.

I have 18 years of religious education, including 9 years at ministry school. Chirp me some more, "educated" brat.

Jesus commissioned the apostles and Paul. In fact, we would not even have the words of Jesus at all if it were not for the apostles.

Newslfash, we DON'T have the Word anymore. Read the Bible even just before 1950 and you'll see that today's version has been completely warped to suit human interest and finances.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369
A lot of history has been recovered from religious texts such as the bible, however nothing regarding the supernatural claims in these texts have ever been found to contain any substance.

You need to add "for non-believers" to the end of that sentence. Because most believers have had very clear and very real supernatural experiences with God. Many don't talk about it because they don't want to be branded as crazy, and also most people don't want to share something so intimate with others, especially if those others are non-believers that are just going to scoff at their stories anyway. I have had a few significant experiences (and many smaller ones) that I have only shared with close relatives because they know me and they know integrity is important to me and that I'm not given over to fantasy. But anecdotal stories do not convince non-believers. And that's fine, but it is simply not true when you say there's no substance to the supernatural claims, they're all around you if you choose to recognize them.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
I'm going to prove to you that Richard Dawkins is a Christian. Not only that, he is a creationist who affirms the triune nature and the omnipotence of God. Using the same hermeneutic that the typical ATS Bible skeptic employs I shall gather all of my evidence from The God Delusion

"there exists a superhuman, supernatural intelligence who deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it, including us."

- The God Delusion p. 52

"the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God."

- The God Delusion p. 54

"God is the Omnipotent Father"

- The God Delusion p. 58

"I am a Christian"

- The God Delusion p. 67

Now, I want to emphasize that I've simply used the exact same technique that ATS Bible bashers use with the Bible...lifting verses out of their overall context and then claiming a contradiction or some sort of horrible fact about God. On this very same basis, I have proven that Richard Dawkins is a Christian who believes in the Trinity and holds that God created the universe!

If it's legitimate for you to do this, then it's legitimate for me to do so...and if I'm wrong in doing so (as I surely am, since I ignored the context when finding these statements), you are just as wrong for doing the same thing with the Bible.
You'd make a great creationist spokesman if you're not already one. I am sure you know what you're doing so I will just say this, try harder.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
richard dawkins is just like every other atheist, spending more time talking about God than the pope does.

i don't believe in santa claus, but i don't put together slide shows trying to disprove his existence.

if he doesn't believe in God, then he should shut the f-ck up, go on with his miserable life, stop trying to convince others and continue on to get lost in the labyrinth of ignorance and idiotic theories that is his path.

trying to disprove something that exists is the definition of insanity.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
its no secret he was a christrian.

but did you know that the church originally accepted the theary of evolution and said that natural selection was part of gods plans, yet christians of today try to disprove this theory

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That is Awesome!!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

What church?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

I have seen alot of substantial miracles. Just because you and the MSM and Main Stream Science haven't is because its for some one else. just sayin...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Thanks for bringing up two possible examples. Now, if you will, since you're OP is specifically about quote mining, please explain how both of those examples are clarified by placing them in their original context.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

but did you know that the church originally accepted the theary of evolution and said that natural selection was part of gods plans, yet christians of today try to disprove this theory

I'm putting together a study on ancient evolution so if you can point me those resources I would love to add them to my study for evidence.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

The Catholic church....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I have 18 years of religious education, including 9 years at ministry school. Chirp me some more, "educated" brat.

Appeal to authority.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by overseer1136

I have seen alot of substantial miracles. Just because you and the MSM and Main Stream Science haven't is because its for some one else. just sayin...

Care to give a few examples?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Good job OP.

I even see quite a few knee-jerk response, proving your point correct and true.

S&F

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Honestly, there's a whole thread worth of discussion on quote mining and context, in both the bible and science. Sad that it's derailed into generic resused arguments.

Originally posted by overseer1136

If I was god, I'd make a bible show up when you smashed two atoms together in the LHC. I'd paint pictures of myself in the clouds. I'd hijack the MSM to throw out my opinions to the public as things are talked about. I'd make my miracles conspicuous, and many.

I'd be there.

By comparison, all he gives are private experiences? Show himself to a few people, and the people he chooses not to are just unlucky, and could possibly go to hell for it.

Allah does the private experience thing too. So do curses, ghosts, aliens, psychics, and many other things. Meaning, if I were to belief in Yahweh from your anecdotal evidence, I'd have to believe in Allah from others. And many other religions(scientologists are rife with anecdotes for how few there are), and every other supernatural thing. So please forgive me for not opening a floodgate of beliefs into my mind by lowering my belief threshold to a few anecdotes.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
yes, the cathelic church.. im sure you can find it if you search the net, i dont have much time to do that these days, can just remember that i saw it on a documentary a few years ago, sorry i cant give you more info than that

and ignore the bit about knowing he was a christian, i was thinkin of someone else, oops my bad

i dont think its that hard to beleive that these two ideas can co-exist, problem is today that everyone thinks their own opinion is correct and doesnt want to even consider others opinions
edit on 4/8/2011 by DaveNorris because: added last paragraph

edit on 4/8/2011 by DaveNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Newslfash, we DON'T have the Word anymore. Read the Bible even just before 1950 and you'll see that today's version has been completely warped to suit human interest and finances.

1950 ?
How about reading the texts from 150 BC - AD 200? Yes, I can verify this myself as I am learning to read the original languages of Hebrew and Greek. Plus logos Bible software provides interlinear Bibles. I will have a Masters Degree in theology by the end of Fall semester and I can say unequivocally that you have no idea what you are talking about. By comparing over 5000 ancient Greek NT manuscripts we have a consensus text which is 99% back to the original autographs and Greek scholars will tell you that the translations we have today are much more accurate than the ones from before 1950. With OT the dead sea scrolls have provided MS of every book other than Esther and they are coherent with the Masoretic Hebrew text from AD 1000 which establishes the Old Testament's accuracy in transmission.

read more here: www.normangeisler.net...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have had discussions with Bigwhammy before, the guy knows his stuff, and it is obvious that some posters are way out of his intellectual league trying to respond to him.

Inaccuracy from 1950 bibles onward

Please don't embarrass yourself.
Anybody with a Greek interlinear can prove this, the internet is full old language translations.
It is true that bibles like "The Message" has messed around with the translation.
May I suggest a book for those that don't know

Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join