It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were a pet would you know, would you care?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was out in the backyard with my rabbits and rats (and 1 guinea pig....and 4cats....
). While I was watching them all interact with each other (they are all very well socialized) I suddenly realized, wow, these are my pets, but I don't consider them MINE, I just look after them, make sure they are healthy, clean, and happy.

Now, hypothetically, If a superior alien race came down, (benevolent), no matter how humble they are, they are still superior in every way. now lets say they start teaching us things and helping us understand ourselves and our universe, helping us grow healthy food, getting rid of chemicals and fossil fuel dependency etc.

Wouldn't that make us pets?

they are superior, they come down, they look after us, make sure we are healthy, and happy.... That's EXACTLY what I do with my pets.

mind you I keep my pets in cages at night but that's because they like to chew walls/cords and pee on ALL THE THINGS!

we humans don't need to be confined.... or maybe we are just confined to this planet or this solar system. who knows.

I got off topic.

So the question is. IF a superior benevolent species came to earth, and kept you healthy, happy, and safe. would you even care that your basically a pet?

I for one wouldn't. The reason I wouldn't is because I love my animals, and they show me affection in return, I have a rabbit that dislocated her hip, it would have cost $1500 to fix (not going to happen).

I was so devastated, me and my girlfriend basically came home and cried, we didn't want to put her down, she wasn't even a year old, and shes very bright and healthy otherwise. so we gave her pain meds, kept her confined so she didn't hurt herself, washed her, the whole nine yards. its was rewarding..but not fun..

through care and a little luck, she developed a FALSE HIP. That's right, a build up of cartilage and scar tissue means she has the use of her leg!

She walks just fine now, is happy, and shows me what shes capable of doing. I'm proud of her and love her.

Why would I care if someone felt towards me the same way I feel about my rabbit? its unconditional love.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

No, we would not care. Our animal instincts would kick in and we would worship them as Gods and be treated as pets willingly. I'm not joking.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Great thread, and closer to the truth.

It really should not matter. As below as above. A great circle and much bigger than us.

Just a thought. When you realize your dominance. . . Do we also aknowledge our smallness.

How does the ant feel? And have we asked it in enough ways?

I think not, you are are poet.

Cheers!

(all spelling booboo's purely intentional :p)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Treespeaker because: explenation to a reason.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well see the problem with pets is that they would overall own us. Thats like saying a person you feed, cloth and take care of is your pet. I don't like the idea of being a pet. I don't care what they can provide because at the end of the day, thats all you really are.. just a pet.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Wow this is a great way of thinking and have never thought of it like this before. No I personally would not mind if aliens came down and made me a pet - as long as I was loved and taken care of. No more grocery bills for me!!! I already "sort of" love aliens now anyways. That is great news about your rabbit!

Thank you for a new subject to think about.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In a way, I suppose, but it also depends if you're going by definition. Typically a pet is a domesticated animal kept in/out of the household for companionship. The fundamental difference between humans and [most] animals, as far as we know, is that we're conscious/meta-cognitive in nature.

If aliens were to come to us with their knowledge, I wouldn't say we're their pets. Friends, companions, yes. Senseis or beings of guidance. Another thing to take note is that aliens are more than likely the most similar with human beings; i.e bipedal, humanoid in stature, and containing the same consciousness.

Last note, is that pets are kept in ones home. Earth is a planet, and home for billions of people. It's not the aliens house. If an alien were to adopt some humans and take them to their place in Andromeda, then the term pet would fit better.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Would it really be any different than the relationship religious people attribute to themselves and God? At least these ETs could make our quality of life a little better.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't know welfare takes care of a lot of people some who truly need it and some who truly abuse it.
The ones who truly need it are thankful and the ones who abuse it think it is their right and think they deserve more.

So if we were pets, the good ones that are thankful would be appreciative and have masters and the others would be put to sleep.

Sounds good to me!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

If we were alien to 'them would it matter?'

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
Well see the problem with pets is that they would overall own us. Thats like saying a person you feed, cloth and take care of is your pet. I don't like the idea of being a pet. I don't care what they can provide because at the end of the day, thats all you really are.. just a pet.

I see what your saying, but obviously it would be on a different level, ie, were capable of feeding, cleaning ourselves. So it would be on a completely different level, all im saying is that the principle is the same.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Treespeaker
Great thread, and closer to the truth.

It really should not matter. As below as above. A great circle and much bigger than us.

Just a thought. When you realize your dominance. . . Do we also aknowledge our smallness.

How does the ant feel? And have we asked it in enough ways?

I think not, you are are poet.

Cheers!

(all spelling booboo's purely intentional :p)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Treespeaker because: explenation to a reason.

My sentiments exactly! acknowledging our smallness is the perfect way to put it. It doesn't mean were a worthless creature, were just a less advanced creature.

I just cant see a way we could be viewed as equals no matter HOW benevolent and humble they are. They would still be a more advanced life-form. and though we cant be equil in our genetic makeup, abilities, or understanding, we CAN be equil in love.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I also have pets and have my whole life. Love animals, worked at a pet store all through high school.

I think as a whole humans would make pretty good pets for a superior alien species. We exhibit loyalty and a willingness to follow directions for rewards. We can also be affectionate and caring. But yes we would need to be kept in cages all night because we DO pee all over everything. Have you heard of the plastic fields in the ocean?

But I think there are many among us who would not be happy as pets.We may still be kept like a cat is kept with enough freedom allowed but a steady food supply and a friendly agreement to keep us around.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
Would it really be any different than the relationship religious people attribute to themselves and God? At least these ETs could make our quality of life a little better.

I doubt it, god is an absent figure. Im here for my pets whenever they need me. physically lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I see it maybe more as a big brother or sister to us in your case but what happens then if all we were was pets or food to them? Earth has been one big grazing field and they come back to check on the livestock. I believe if we are nothing more than pets then they won't be sharing their knowledge or love. They will come to harvest, kinda like the movie Skyline.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Arent we all pets to the governement? Jumping and fighting like dogs just to get a piece of the cake.
If you mean pets to aliens i would see that as some sort of slavery way.
If you mean free animals, i wouldnt care no, today is the day i live and i have to survive that.
Take care of us, feed us make sure we are happy and such. Maybe your rabbits rather want to live and eat in the woods, who knows what they prefer?
How many petowners tread their pets as s#$!? I think any or some superiors will always take advantage of their status. Animal, human or alien ( but i never met an alien so that part im just guessing)

edit on 2-8-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

link   

I see it maybe more as a big brother or sister to us in your case but what happens then if all we were was pets or food to them? Earth has been one big grazing field and they come back to check on the livestock. I believe if we are nothing more than pets then they won't be sharing their knowledge or love. They will come to harvest, kinda like the movie Skyline.

that would make them malevolent, my hypothetical is based on a benevolent species.

If a malevolent species used the "pet" criteria, we would be slaves, or mistreated. just as bad people don't make good pet owners on earth.

plus livestock and "pets" are different in my mind.
edit on 2-8-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

link   

I see it maybe more as a big brother or sister to us in your case but what happens then if all we were was pets or food to them?

In that case, we would get eaten.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
Arent we all pets to the governement? Jumping and fighting like dogs just to get a piece of the cake.

haha maybe, but my pets are taken care of..... the government is its own pet. as in it takes care of itself.

we are scavengers.
edit on 2-8-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

If aliens were to come to us with their knowledge, I wouldn't say we're their pets. Friends, companions, yes. Senseis or beings of guidance. Another thing to take note is that aliens are more than likely the most similar with human beings; i.e bipedal, humanoid in stature, and containing the same consciousness.

I had thought this but must accept what if being our teacher would be akin to training a dog? It is possible our brains do not even have the capacity to comprehend the things they could teach us and we could only benefit from their wisdom in the ways our pets can benefit from veterinary care.

One of my cats is incredibly smart. She understands many words, visual and sound cues, can open doors, get into anything or out of anything. As far as cats go she is a genius. But no matter what I do I can't teach her to perform veterinary surgery. We must accept that it might be the same with other creatures that come to our planet. The difference could be even greater. We could be like crustacean to human intelligence difference between us and them with us being like crustaceans to them.

I know that is hard for people to swallow but it is a possibility.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

You obviouslu love your baby and taught them much on there journey.

Is there a thought tbat asks? Were they trying to teach me all along?

Ah closer to the truth I thank.

Then I asked them.

You might be surprised? Made you yourself the alien?

Deep calls to deep. The shallow water "seems" warm though.

Peace and the way to you, cheers!

(on the comment about a way, it seems one sided from only a slanted perspective. INFORMATIVE though it seems)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Treespeaker because: again the spelling for The reason.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join