It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are all Americans! Let's understand each other.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have been reading a LOT of political threads recently, since the news has been so caught up in the mess in Washington. I am extremely disheartened to see how we seem to label ourselves as "Democrat" or "Republican" and then we BASH the other party.

On these threads of ATS, I have seen members spewing hate toward the opposing party. I have seen insane stereotyping that is clearly wrong, unless 50% of Americans are sociopaths, which I know is not true. BOTH parties are guilty of this stereotyping.

Let's take a moment and try an experiment. When you reply, I want you to tell me this in your answer:

1. With which political party do you affiliate yourself, and why?
2. In YOUR opinion, what does your party stand for?
3. What are the BIGGEST misconceptions you believe the opposing party has about your party?
4. What are some things that you see in the opposing party that are GOOD? You MUST answer #4!

Can we establish some ground rules? Can this be a thread where we DON'T try to bash the other party? Can this be the thread where we DON'T have to try and make ourselves sound smarter by making fun of others?

I really think that it is important for us to understand one another. I don't like how it seems like Americans are divided, when really, we all want the same things for our country: prosperity for as many Americans as possible.

I'll go first:
1. I consider myself to be a libertarian, because I believe that government exists to perform only the basic functions outlined in the Constitution. However, I generally vote Republican, because I think the Republican party is more supportive of the philosophy of personal responsibility, rather than the philosophy that government is the panacea for all ills. I have attended several tax day tea party rallies, because I am absolutely convinced that my tax dollars are being wasted by politicians in Washington (on things like turtle tunnels and bridges to nowhere.)

2. I'm going to speak about the Republican Party here. I believe the Republican Party wants to see a strong America, which is defined as an America where the citizens are educated and contributing members of society. In a perfect Republican America, everyone would finish school with a well-rounded education (remember that the Republicans developed No Child Left Behind, which starts with the philosophy that ALL children can learn.) After school, adults would be employed and work supporting their families, and in this perfect world, no one would need public assistance. Since we know we do not live in a perfect world, however, the Republicans believe that the government is here to act as a safety net for those who need short-term help. Republicans would also like to see affordable health care, but we do not believe it is the government's role to provide it. Instead, we think that health care could be made more affordable by doing things such as allowing consumers to shop for health insurance in the same way they shop for other types of insurance. Above all, we don't think that it is the government's job to be everyone's everything.

3. Liberals seem to have many misconceptions about conservatives. First of all, we are not heartless; in fact, Republicans lead the nation in charitable giving. We do NOT want to see children starving in the streets. We believe in helping our neighbors. We do NOT think that government should support big business either--that's one of the biggest misconceptions about the Republicans, in my opinion! YES, many Republican politicians seem to be in the pockets of big business, but guess what??? SO DO many liberal politicians! Those politicians who are constantly working for the big businesses who lobby them are NOT following the will of the average conservatives!!!!! The average American conservative wants government to STOP giving special breaks to businesses.

4. I believe that the Democrats sincerely want to help Americans. (In saying that, realize I'm talking about the average liberal AMERICAN, not the liberal politicians. I think the politicians of both parties, with few exceptions, are out for themselves.) I think that liberal sincerely believe that the best way to help those that are more fortunate is for the government to make laws that protect the average person.

Can we do this, ATS? Can we explain our views, and then see the good in the other party? Or are we destined to be divided, prejudiced, and closed-minded?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

1. With which political party do you affiliate yourself, and why? I am more of an independent but I never vote independent because I don't like the choses. I usually advocate for the democrat side.
2. In YOUR opinion, what does your party stand for? Protecting the little guy
3. What are the BIGGEST misconceptions you believe the opposing party has about your party? That all liberals are immoral and have no values.
4. What are some things that you see in the opposing party that are GOOD? You MUST answer The fact that republicans are for protecting the unborn babies and emphasis high family values.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yes We All Are Americans

not
rich,poor,black,white,asian,aka hypenated americans etc,democrat,republican,stupid,smart,ignorant,teaparty or terrorist.

if and when we all can overcome decades of social programming aka bias and predjudice aka bigotry then you can begin to have a conservation that wouldnt end up in futtility.

there in lies the problem its all about power and control who wants it who manipulates for it and who will do whatever and say whatever to achieve and maintain it.

this is a very worthy thread many alike has come before and yet for a blink of an eye there comes that coexistence and then agian in another blink of an eye its gone and back right back to the beginning.

thats human nature.
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
1. None
2. NA
3. NA
4. No party is "good" only the individuals are "good" which are created by their environments whilst obeying their own separate evolutionary algorithms of course

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Thanks, Dreamseeker!

See! I'm not evil, and neither are you.

I'd love to hear from some more people...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I'm registered with the Libertarian Party. I chose this party because I am socially Liberal and fiscally Conservative. I believe in small government and personal freedoms.

Personal freedoms and limited government!

3. What are the BIGGEST misconceptions you believe the opposing party has about your party?

That Libertarians are in some way associated with the Tea Party or Republicans or that we only stand "for the rich" because of our opposition to social programs.

4. What are some things that you see in the opposing party that are GOOD? You MUST answer #4!

Sorry, I'm a Libertarian, I don't like being told what to do!

j/k!

Republicans: there are SOME members that reflect Libertarian ideologies, but many of those often take conservative stances on social issues.
Democrats: They protect personal rights (such as gay marriage etc) however they can sometimes take it so far they remove rights from the "majority".

Personally I'd rather see a dozen parties represent the People, not the two party system we have..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Sorry, I'm a Libertarian, I don't like being told what to do!

HA! Good one! Thanks for humoring me and answering anyway. I'm a bit bossy-I'm a school teacher, and I expect to be obeyed!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
When I discovered ATS I was sure it was an international site. Now, I am not really feeling that it is or ever was. We are all HUMAN, not regionally nor locally handicapped. Learn from the past mistakes.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle
When I discovered ATS I was sure it was an international site. Now, I am not really feeling that it is or ever was. We are all HUMAN, not regionally nor locally handicapped. Learn from the past mistakes.

Okay, good point.

Pretend that the title of the thread is "To all Americans....we are all Americans!"

Because obviously, those of you who are not Americans are not Americans!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

I'm American first, Human second.

Sorry mate.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
We are all Americans

...cool - a thread that includes ALL citizens of ALL the countries in central america, north america and south america!... that is totally AWESOME!... (do kids still say awesome?)...

...i know you meant just citizens of the united states OF america... i use the term american for citizens of the usofa sometimes too but it is an exclusionary and inaccurate term...

...usofa-er (you es of air) is better...

...sidebar to neo96: dont be tellin folks how to refer to themselves... thats my job, dangit...

...anyways...

...none because they're playing a rigged game and my mama didnt raise no fools...

...not applicable...

3. What are the BIGGEST misconceptions you believe the opposing
party has about your party?

...not applicable...

4. What are some things that you see in the opposing party that are GOOD?

...nothing...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Elzon

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Do you two even vote in any election?

If you haven't served your country and or do not vote then what exactly do you do to make a difference? Unless of course you're packing it up?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Elzon

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Do you two even vote in any election?

...if it was any of your biz, you'd already know...

Originally posted by SLAYER69
If you haven't served your country and or do not vote then what exactly do you do to make a difference? Unless of course you're packing it up?

...if you had not added the last sentence, i might have answered you...

top topics

join