It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there 2 objects seen on NASA’s STEREO photo of Elenin?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AshOnMyTomatoes

Sorry but I'm new to this, so why is there such a concern for this comet when it will be hard to see. Does that not mean that it is not that large?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnm1976

Sorry but I'm new to this, so why is there such a concern for this comet when it will be hard to see. Does that not mean that it is not that large?

It is relatively unremarkable as far as comets go. Its nucleus is about 3-4km in diameter, and will not come very close to the Earth (27 million miles at the closest).

There is such a concern about it because people have decided that it is actually Nibiru or a spaceship or something else ridiculously impossible.

If you're interested in the subject, I'd suggest starting with the wiki article on comet Elenin, and perusing their reference links. They will not lead you astray.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnm1976

It's actually a fanciful discussion on a little chunk of ice. I have enjoyed fanning the flames as well as providing sincere discussion of this object.
Some of the hoopla that I have contributed too involve the coincidences of mother nature and it's alignment to the Sun and other planets.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Normally, not being able to see a comet's tail happens when you use a scope with a high focal length and you just aren't able to pick up the tail due to low surface brightness. In reality, it can happen any time you don't expose deep enough to reveal the tail, and in this case I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that the camera's field of view is about 70 degrees, so the angular resolution per pixel is very low.

In this image of Comet Lulin, which definitely had a tail, I see no tail:
farm4.static.flickr.com...
Wider field shots that went deeper from the same time period revealed its tail:
apod.nasa.gov...
Although NASA's STEREO spacecraft images of Elenin are definitely "wide field" I think it's probably TOO widefield and not deep enough. I mean, for goodness sake, Sirius is near it in the same shot and though it's a big dot, if you're going to go chasing comet tails you need an exposure that would completely blow Sirius out.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Normally, not being able to see a comet's tail happens when you use a scope with a high focal length and you just aren't able to pick up the tail due to low surface brightness. In reality, it can happen any time you don't expose deep enough to reveal the tail, and in this case I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that the camera's field of view is about 70 degrees, so the angular resolution per pixel is very low.

In this image of Comet Lulin, which definitely had a tail, I see no tail:
farm4.static.flickr.com...
Wider field shots that went deeper from the same time period revealed its tail:
apod.nasa.gov...
Although NASA's STEREO spacecraft images of Elenin are definitely "wide field" I think it's probably TOO widefield and not deep enough. I mean, for goodness sake, Sirius is near it in the same shot and though it's a big dot, if you're going to go chasing comet tails you need an exposure that would completely blow Sirius out.

Thank you. btw, nice avatar

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Hold on.... there is something wrong with this thread....

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! We're all gonna die!!!

There that's better... What good is an Elenin thread w/ out utter nonsense...
... but seriously... thank's for a lot of good info and cool pictures...

I have to go get my Nike's and Kool Aid now in preperation to meet my space brethren....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
FINALLY!!!

Some level headed discussion of a most likely non-event.

I have heard everything from Nibiru to Wormwood of Revelations, manipulated JPL orbit data, THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I wasn't that concerned at all until I read on the NASA "ask a physicist" site that we should be getting our information from more trusted sources such as....Wikipedia. That scared me a little because Wikipedia is a great jumping off point, but "trusted"...I'm not so sure about that.

I'm still reservinig judgement on the whole thing until we can actually see it for ourselves.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wshadow1
FINALLY!!!

Some level headed discussion of a most likely non-event.

I have heard everything from Nibiru to Wormwood of Revelations, manipulated JPL orbit data, THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I wasn't that concerned at all until I read on the NASA "ask a physicist" site that we should be getting our information from more trusted sources such as....Wikipedia. That scared me a little because Wikipedia is a great jumping off point, but "trusted"...I'm not so sure about that.

I'm still reservinig judgement on the whole thing until we can actually see it for ourselves.

However, it still my flare up like Holmes and give us a cool show

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

Judging from my 5 minute comet research I just did from my previous post - that second object may just be a star that is behind the coma, giving it the illusion that it is indeed part of the comet itself.

P.S. I feel like a pro now.

So, lets say we wait a few weeks and check another photo of Elenin, the second object shouldn't be there anymore and will confirm your explanation. Otherwise, ....oh man.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

One can only hope. After all the hype, a cool light show would be nice.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join