It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA allows Human genes to be patented

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled on Friday that human genes can indeed be patented. The Public Patent Foundation and American Civil Liberties Union had made claims that putting a patent on human genes was a violation of the First Amendment and patent laws, but the federal appeals court says they believe otherwise.

rt.com...

i wonder what else this judgment will allow, some company will surly push this to it's ultimate limit !

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DanaKatherineScully

Haha, Michael Crichton called it again (Read Next, it's pretty good)

This patent thing is getting out of hand. If the free market (and human kind) has any hope, patent reform is a must.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Aaaaand this is why the cure for cancer isnt quite mainstream yet, while people die from chemo. money money money moneh moneeeeeh mawwwwwwwwwwhneeeh

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I've got a better one for them: Allowing human genes to be patented ultimately allows the door on the owning of human beings, a violation of the abolition of slavery (13th amendment, I believe).

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
already posted HERE

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
are they going to try to tax my genes or my dna? how can they patent something that you get from evolution and from you parents. now if they are trying to slice and dice dna to make a super human military personnel and want to patent it so other country's cant copy it. i think that would be ok. but the real question is what are there intentions with this?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI
are they going to try to tax my genes or my dna? how can they patent something that you get from evolution and from you parents. now if they are trying to slice and dice dna to make a super human military personnel and want to patent it so other country's cant copy it. i think that would be ok. but the real question is what are there intentions with this?

A human being created purely for war? Yeah, I'm guna have to disagree with you and say that would NOT be ok.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

sorry, i did a quick search but am new here & there were lots of threads, but i couldn't find a way to show the latest results :/

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This judgement is as bad as declaring that a corporation has the same rights as an individual, while disregarding any of the liabilities at the same time. Humanity is under attack. As for the comments about the government making supermen, it has been going on for a while educate-yourself.org...

join