It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facial recognition software could reveal your social security number

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Facial recognition software could reveal your social security number

www.physorg.com

The study, led by Alessandro Acquisti from Carnegie Mellon University, combined the use of three different technologies - cloud computing, facial recognition and public information that can be found on various social networking sites.

They used these technologies in three different experiments. In the first experiment, Acquisti and his team were able to identify members of an online dating site where members do not use their real names for identification. The second experiment allowed the research team to identify college students in real life walking on campus based solely on their face an
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.cons umerreports.org
www.nasw.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:
socialtimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Warning: FaceBook Using Face Recognition On YOUR Photos.
NSW Government recording features for facial recognition
Police Across the Nation Will Roll Out Face-Recognizing iPhone Tech This Year
UK Police Call on Citizens to Spy on Anarchists

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, another ingenious way to take away your right to privacy. You can hide your social security card in your wallet, or in your bank vault, or under your mattress, or in an encrypted SSL site (i.e. banks, etc) or merely in your head...until now.

This technology seemingly has the ability to use facial recognition software that will identify a person (U.S. Citizen) by their face alone. I know there are law enforcement vehicles that use a multitude of cameras placed on their vehicles which do scanning via cameras, and software on vehicle license plates, which in turn, identifies the owner of that vehicle being scanned by "Robocop," and can give a heads up to patrolling police vehicles/operators as to who the car is registered to, then after the registrant is identified of that vehicle, they can run said registrant's name into the state or national crime database and determine if they are wanted, have a criminal history, etc.

I'm sure you already know of this technology being used; I learned of it on a local news station in Texas a few years ago.

Here's a link to a video showing you how it works:
www.youtube.com...

Now, this "new" technology would do essentially the same thing, except instead of scanning license plates, it will be scanning your face. Once your face has been "recognized"
it could then theoretically, find your social security number, then voila: "THEY KNOW YOU by Social Security Number"

But where would they get a "national face-recognition database" akin to a national dna database for solving crimes, etc? Hmmm...facebook maybe? FULL of millions of non-criminal citizens.

Why such a need to identify faces and assign them a data feed based on social security number? Maybe this article I stumbled upon yesterday may be a reason:

well, instead of the article, i'll just post a link already made on ATS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Remember the technology in the movie, "Minority Report?"

Retinal scanners everywhere identifying you by a unique iris, but that's way in the future, right? Well, who needs to scan retinas with lasers for identification, when you can scan a face, and don't need a laser, just a camera...even a smartphone application?

I'm sure some of you have the smartphone app, "Google Goggles," which does a scan of a bar-code, and identifies it on a search in Google, but it recognizes more than a bar-code in the scan, it can also recognize graphics of brands of products, like Chlorox, Dairy Queen logos, etc.

Pretty cool, Pretty Scary.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2011 by N34Li3Z because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This new technology is scary but there is one major flaw.. What about twins and people that look the same ie lookalikes?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
here's a video of ROBOCOP in action:

Minority Report, move over, the present has better technology than the future. No need for retinal scanners,

you just need a good old fashioned 20th Century Camera, with 2011 software, and a nice little facial recognition called FACEbook. A book...of Faces....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I wouldn't say that's a major flaw, but one easily remedied, all one would need to do is cross reference your geographical location with a list of "look-a-likes" and their current known location, then further narrow down the search through simple location like this:

1. face search equals John Doe 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
2. Current location of John Doe X= this place
3. Cross reference "this place" with known places of Faces of All John Doe recognitions
4. John Doe 34 is known to live within X miles of "this place"
5. Probability that John Doe is John Doe #34= 96.7 %

As for twins, well that's not too big a bug either.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Actually this made me think of Eagle Eye. Combine this with the super reasoning computer made by IBM, Watson, and voila! Just think of how many places you go that have a camera. Convenience store, gas station, walmart, the mall, most fast food stores, intersections and even subways. It's not that far of a stretch for TPTB to be able to track everyone in the US. They already have your picture on file if you have an ID or drivers license!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

No lie but i was wondering the other day whether anyone could get a scan of my eye on my avatar?

And then use the ID to gain whatever they wanted with this new Scanning Tech coming into place??

Probably sounds a bit Sci-Fi but i want to know if i should change my Avatar lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Lots of legislation needs to come out to protect peoples privacy...even then, it won't be 100%, but ya, welcome to one of the darker avenues of progression...with sugar comes vinegar, but there is no stopping it, only being aware of it and know how to counter it if possible.

Yes, in the somewhat near future, your sunglasses will have screens on them that can give you information, screens popping up telling you about all sorts of things in your environment, from what sales are going on in the store over there, to the person's entire DOC file that is standing in front of you, to quickly crossreferencing that person to any weird posting or attributes of them.

Imagine meeting some girl for the first time and her college days pics came up of that time she was drunk on spring break in that contest, etc...

Awesome and horrible tech all combined into one.

Oh, to add:
I suspect removable prostetics will be a big thing in the future, slap on a slightly different looking nose to fool the scanners sort of thing,..
edit on 2-8-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I was thinking the same thing...lol. It would be fairly easy to use makeup/facial prosthesis to fool the cameras. Of course then if a camera did not do an ID on your face, it would alert TPTB that they have a non-registered citizen and dispatch local police to haul you in.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Sounds george orwellian. 1984 technology..i should call em, and suggest or ask, if they make something like this, that will tell my social security number by dropping my pants and scan reading my a$$- hole. mack them a bit.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by SaturnFX

I was thinking the same thing...lol. It would be fairly easy to use makeup/facial prosthesis to fool the cameras. Of course then if a camera did not do an ID on your face, it would alert TPTB that they have a non-registered citizen and dispatch local police to haul you in.

Remind me of Idiocracy, the part where the doctor was freaking out because they guy had no tattoo.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Damn. This technology is so Meshuggah.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Okay, here's the icing on the cake:

english.aljazeera.net... ss&utm_medium=tweet

We're fast approaching a time when law enforcement will no longer need to ask you for your identification - your physical self, and the biometric data therein, are all that will be required to identify you. A gadget attached to a mobile phone can photograph and plot key points and features on your face (breaking the numbers down into biometric data), scan your iris and take your fingerprints on the spot. This gizmo doesn't exist in a futuristic world - it's already been prototyped and tested. By autumn, the Mobile Offender Recognition and Information System (MORIS), which will allow 40 law enforcement agencies across the US to carry out such biometric diagnostics, will be rolled out. So far, the 1,000 units on order - at $3,000 and 12.5 oz per device - will be going to sheriff and police departments. Proponents of the technology figure the deployment is a plus - having biometric data available almost instantly might prevent an officer from mistakenly identifying someone (via, say, a driver's license, which could be forged) and unnecessarily hauling them in for processing. Scans taken on the road are checked against a database of stored scans from those who have in the past been or are currently incarcerated. Essentially, the idea is to see if a suspect has a prior record. It's accurate. It'll keep us safe. It'll help law enforcement do its job.

really..."It will keep us safe." HA! George Orwell, Meet America, America, Meet 1984!

read on:

But given that two of the three functions of the MORIS could legally be considered to be the sort of "search and seizure" covered by the US Constitution's Fourth Amendment (meaning that a person could, in theory, decline to have their iris scanned or fingerprints taken), law enforcement's ability to use them as intended seems questionable. "The collection of personal biometric data has many privacy and civil liberties concerns attached to it, including scalability, reliability, accuracy, and security of the data collected," said Amie Stepanovich, national security counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a Washington DC-based public interest group focused on privacy and civil liberty issues. A key concern, said Stepanovich, is that this technology was essentially developed for a military environment and not for domestic use. "The potential of this technology for use to track and monitor innocent individuals' personal information cannot be overshadowed. To prevent misuse, warrant requirements must be strictly enforced."

uh oh! looks like the constitution is going bye bye! (illegal search and siezure in the name of safety/security)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
by the way, googled to see how "old" this news is, and only al jazeera is reporting it, also got a hit on the huffington post, but when directed, couldn't find the article.

top topics

join